'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#3476 Post by Brian C » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:58 pm

I can understand why it would be legitimately off-putting. And even though I'm not bothered by swearing at all, it seemed like a false note in the writing at times, like a strained attempt at nitty-gritty authenticity.

Frankly if the 110 number is correct, I'm surprised the number is that low.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3477 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:10 pm

Once in a PG-13 just because you can is annoying. Hundreds of times in an R just because you can often is too. It's also annoying (and not very true to life) if nearly every character swears (I mean, unless it really does fit every one of them). Knocked Up was on the other day, and just about every character in that movie is written in the voice of Judd Apatow after he just learned all the bad words.

Roger Ryan

#3478 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:20 pm

I certainly didn't find the use of profanity in Manchester... to be gratuitous as I barely noticed it.

As an aside, upon entering the theater to see Moonlight a couple of weeks ago, a patron asked me what the MPAA rating was. I was taken aback by the question and couldn't recall whether it was PG-13 or R. "Oh, I hope it's not R," she replied, "I don't want to hear any bad language". I believe "motherfucker" rang out about four minutes in; I have no idea if she left after that or stuck it out to experience the most beautifully humanistic film of the year.

TMDaines

#3479 Post by TMDaines » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:38 am

I didn't notice the swearing in Manchester by the Sea at all either. If you'd put a gun to my head ten minutes ago and asked me how many times "fuck" or its variations were used in the film, I would have guessed ten times?

The worst type of prude is that concerned with swearing. At times like this, I recall this situation based upon one complaint.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3480 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:52 pm

A user on the Blu-ray.com forum gives a reason to see Jackie, a movie about a woman in anguish grieving the loss of her husband
Her being hot (IMO) isn't exactly an unwelcome bonus for me, either.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3481 Post by tenia » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:14 pm

domino harvey wrote:A user on the Blu-ray.com forum gives a reason to see Jackie, a movie about a woman in anguish grieving the loss of her husband
Her being hot (IMO) isn't exactly an unwelcome bonus for me, either.
But on the other end, isn't that remark quite fair ? I mean, there are many many movies where good-looking actors are hired just because, well, they're gonna sell more tickets, even if it's totally useless for the movie's themes or story.

Gregory

#3482 Post by Gregory » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:51 am

Another drop in the ocean of film reviewing talent on offer at Amazon:

"[Plot summary of Chabrol's Les Cousins that for no apparent reason reveals what happens in the film's final climax]

There are some interesting moments in the film, but it's mostly pretense. Back when it was made, people had a hard time telling the difference between Bergman and Fellini and the pretenders, like Chabrol and Antonioni. With the passage of time, the difference is obvious."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3483 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:16 pm

The Blu-ray forums have topped themselves. Huge spoiler for Arrival
SpoilerShow
How else can I say this, I think having an actor act that he or she is thinking about something, then cutting in snippets of that something, then going back to that actor.... Is pretty cheap when at the end of the movie were supposed to believe she wasn't actually thinking about that. In my opinion it's a cheap plot device that cheapens the film. I don't need anyone to agree with me, it's a fact.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#3484 Post by cdnchris » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Uhhh... There is a lot wrong with that but
SpoilerShow
wasn't the whole thing she was thinking about those things but she didn't understand why?
My 8 year old watched this and she even understood that.

matrixschmatrix

#3485 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:42 pm

SpoilerShow
As far as I can tell, she is in a Slaughterhouse Five sense unstuck in time- I don't even think it's so much that she's thinking about the cut ins, as that she's actually experiencing them.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3486 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:04 pm

That's my take as well

cdnchris
Site Admin

#3487 Post by cdnchris » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:20 pm

That was my take, too, I somehow erased a chunk of my one sentence in the spoiler while typing on my phone
SpoilerShow
about "remembering things that technically haven't happened yet." Since it's so central to the plot, judging from his criticism he either didn't understand a key plot point--which my daughter even understood*--or he did understand it... which just hurts my brain.

*(this one was fun with her because I think it might be the first film she's seen with a twist like this, playing off a standard film language practice involving flashbacks, and seeing her face when it dawned on her what was happening was pretty priceless. "I thought those were things that happened to her before!!" And then after a pause, "but wait, why was she acting all sad!? I thought she was sad because her little girl died!")

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3488 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:24 pm

That's awesome. Tell your daughter that movies play with our emotions so effectively that she only thought she was sad because the movie tricked her while not actually lying. Then get out the Golden Book Library edition of A Child's First Kuleshov Effect and send her on her way

cdnchris
Site Admin

#3489 Post by cdnchris » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:32 pm

domino harvey wrote:Then get out the Golden Book Library edition of A Child's First Kuleshov Effect and send her on her way
This needs to be a real thing. Someone get on that.

yoshimori

#3490 Post by yoshimori » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:44 am

SpoilerShow
My not-so-little girl just had one question: Why did it take 12 giant iron eggs to bring us non-linear editing?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3491 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:30 am

I was interested in the film until I heard about social commentary. Pass.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#3492 Post by Brian C » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:49 pm

domino harvey wrote:
I was interested in the film until I heard about social commentary. Pass.
Sounds like someone wanted to see JONAH HEX until they read Armond's review!

zedz

#3493 Post by zedz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Brian C wrote:. . . someone wanted to see JONAH HEX. . .
Obvious logical flaw in your hypothesis!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3494 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:18 pm

The opening lines of the Blu-ray.com review of Certain Fury. Surely there's a better way to phrase this
During a shooting in court young prostitute Scarlet manages to flee. In a state of confusion, the black Tracy, who was arrested for a minor delict, follows her.

Lemmy Caution

#3495 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:22 pm

Who uses the word delict?
My browser doesn't even recognize it as a word.
Minor offense; misdemeanor ...
Must be British, and seems to be used in Scottish, originating from Roman law ...

Gregory

#3496 Post by Gregory » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:54 pm

domino harvey wrote:The opening lines of the Blu-ray.com review of Certain Fury. Surely there's a better way to phrase this
During a shooting in court young prostitute Scarlet manages to flee. In a state of confusion, the black Tracy, who was arrested for a minor delict, follows her.
It would appear they plagiarized it word for word from an IMDb user, even retaining the inconsistent spelling of the name Scarlet.

Cash Flagg

#3497 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:49 am

Those two sentences no long appear in the review.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3498 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:57 am

It's still there, select Overview

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#3499 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:39 pm

After watching the first segment of Out 1 last weekend and admittedly not quite understanding the appeal, I took some comfort in learning that someone enjoyed the film. I love the opening line if it was intended to be sarcastic.
Joe S wrote:Almost made me want to start smoking again! It hit me as funny or at least jovial or ironic. The editing was off the charts with long held shots of Paris traffic and people on the street mixed with urchins and funky rooms.I loved the Frederique character and all the characters for that matter. Being a long time student of improvisation I thought those portions fit seamlessly with the goings on which were a little "Out there"to say the least! This 12 hour classic was never boring to me and in fact I hated to see it end!

Gregory

#3500 Post by Gregory » Thu May 11, 2017 1:07 am

A few insights on Michael Curtiz gleaned from Wikipedia before I quit reading:
Types of stories
Before coming to Hollywood, Curtiz always considered the story before he began working on a film. The human interest side of a story was key, along with having the plot develop as the film progressed.
And his films in this era tended to feature actors moving about and speaking lines of dialogue in order to portray characters who figured into the story in one way or another.
Personal habits
Curtiz was always extremely active: he worked very long days, took part in several sports in his spare time, and was often found to sleep under a cold shower.[17]:188
Pretty sure he slept and then took a cold shower, but I really like the image of Curtiz dozing away with a stream of cold water blasting onto him.