Die Hard

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#1 Post by Buttery Jeb » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:54 am

You know, its funny. Regardless of the films I discover, both new and old, or the filmmakers whose work I become enthralled with, I can still watch the first "Die Hard" movie over and over again, and do so once every couple of months. Ten years from now, it will probably still be one of my top ten favorite films of all time.

Anyhoo, according to Movies Unlimited, Fox is re-releasing the first three "Die Hard" films on June 19th, both separately and in a boxset with a bonus disc (of course featuring an advanced look at "Live Free or Die Hard") No word on how these will differ from the previously released special editions.

-BJ

Cinesimilitude

#2 Post by Cinesimilitude » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:17 pm

the 2 disc editions are immaculate as far as DVD SE's go. I won't be buying these again until they get a BD release.

Narshty

#3 Post by Narshty » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:42 pm

John McTiernan's commentary on Die Hard is one of the most intelligent discussions on filmmaking I've ever heard. If you just went straight to disc two to mess around with the editing game (and, to be fair, why wouldn't you?), go back and listen to the superb track on disc one. Indeed, the whole Die Hard special edition is actually one of the few DVDs that lives up to the alleged ideal of "film school in a box".

Highway 61

#4 Post by Highway 61 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:37 pm

Buttery Jeb, I feel the exact same way. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'd want Die Hard with me on a desert island over, say, an Ozu or Renoir.

As for the DVDs, yes, they are excellent, but the transfers could be improved. Still, I'm happy with what I've got.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:36 pm

I've always said the Die Hard trilogy renders all other action movies redundant, and I stand by this assertion. To me there's nothing more boring than a modern action movie because it's hardly worth sitting through tedious retreads of something I've already seen a million times before.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#6 Post by cdnchris » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:24 pm

I will also add my love of the first Die Hard. I also love (though nowhere near as much) the two sequels, even though they did become more idiotic as they went on (and the next one looks terrible).

I always meant to pick up the box set of the 2-discers when it came out but never got around to it. I looked at my brother's set, though. All the DVDs were pretty solid (the alternate ending to the third movie was worth getting it for, if only because it was so odd), but the DVD for the first one was the best. I loved the "editing" feature, especially. The thing I edited together was pretty brutal (if I recall it was the scene where Alan Rickman was talking with the head of the company). Quite fun, though.

Fletch F. Fletch

#7 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:07 am

cdnchris wrote:but the DVD for the first one was the best. I loved the "editing" feature, especially. The thing I edited together was pretty brutal (if I recall it was the scene where Alan Rickman was talking with the head of the company). Quite fun, though.
My favorite feature on this SE is the featurette comparing pan and scan with letterboxing -- it's something everyone should be forced to watch!

I love the first film as well. It really set a precedent for so many other films to shameless rip-off. It wasn't really until John Woo came along that I felt somebody was doing something different with the action film genre.

Darth Lavender

#8 Post by Darth Lavender » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:47 am

Found it immensely (and surprisingly) entertaining the first time I saw it, but on subsequent viewings, I find it less and less engaging. Memorable, certainly, but definitely not a contender for "desert island" movies. (For pure replay value, I'd have to go with the six Star Wars movies straight away (yes, even the prequels. Good or bad, I enjoy them,) or maybe Hellraiser II which I probably watch about twice a year and still found immensely entertaining.

I'll probably give it another look some time in the next few weeks (just got a big package of DVDs from UK (MoC had another 50% sale,) so it will be at least a few weeks before I can give Die Hard another look.)

I must confess, I don't see why everyone regards Rickman's character as an icon. It's very well written and a darn good performance, but hardly the first of it's kind (Blofeld comes immediately to mind. Think a little further back, and Dr. Mabuse seems another obvious predecessor,) or, necessarily, the best of it's kind (you could make a pretty solid argument for Hannibal Lecter as the greatest 'intellectual' villian, and I'm sure there's plenty of others who at least equal Rickman's Hans Gruber.)
For that matter, I don't see why people rave about the 'originality' of the Hannibal Lecter set-up. The old idea of consulting one former adversary in the process of trying to defeat a more recent adversary is a comic-book concept which goes back long before Red Dragon (I think even Dumas' Cardinal Richeliu ended up aiding the Musketeers in their fight against other adversaries.)

exte

#9 Post by exte » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:07 pm

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:I love the first film as well. It really set a precedent for so many other films to shameless rip-off. It wasn't really until John Woo came along that I felt somebody was doing something different with the action film genre.
Really? I give respect to Die Hard, but I remember hearing in the T2 commentary that the crew felt like every sequence they were shooting was like the ending of Die Hard. I couldn't agree more. I think James Cameron dominates the genre more than anyone. Even Aliens is every bit as good as Die Hard, though in a completely different genre, of course...

Fletch F. Fletch

#10 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:35 pm

exte wrote:Really? I give respect to Die Hard, but I remember hearing in the T2 commentary that the crew felt like every sequence they were shooting was like the ending of Die Hard. I couldn't agree more. I think James Cameron dominates the genre more than anyone. Even Aliens is every bit as good as Die Hard, though in a completely different genre, of course...
Oh, I agree Cameron is good although that T2 commentary bit only backs up my assertion, I suppose. But just think of how many filmmakers have shameless ripped off Woo (who, of course, was ripping off Scorsese and Peckinpah, but I digress).

tryavna

#11 Post by tryavna » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:08 pm

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:Woo (who, of course, was ripping off Scorsese and Peckinpah, but I digress).
Reminds me of one of the funnier lines from a more recent Simpsons episode:

Homer: "No funny stuff! And by funny stuff I mean holding hands, googoo eyes, misdirected woo -- which is pretty much any John Woo film."

Fletch F. Fletch

#12 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:56 am

For all you fans of the films, looks like Fox is releasing these films again, this time with a bonus disc of extras. From DVDActive:
Title: Die Hard Collection
Starring: Bruce Willis
Released: 19th June 2007
SRP: $39.98

Further Details:
Fox Home Entertainment has announced The Die Hard Collection which brings all the crackling thrills from Die Hard, Die Hard 2: Die Harder and Die Hard With A Vengeance to DVD in the ultimate box set. The four-disc collection will be available to own from the 19th June, and should retail at around $39.98. As well as single-disc editions of the films (which are also available seperately for $14.98 a pop) - the set will include a bonus disc containing the Live Free Or Die Hard teaser trailer, a Wrong Guy, Wrong Place, Wrong Time: A Look Back At Die Hard feature, and a Continuing Adventures Of John McClane feature. Also included will be a Movie Money coupon to see Live Free Or Die Hard, opening in theaters this June.

Gigi M.

#13 Post by Gigi M. » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:59 am

This is totally unnecessary.

Joe Buck

#14 Post by Joe Buck » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:26 am

Gigi M. wrote:This is totally unnecessary.
Just like the new film.

flyonthewall2983

#15 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:20 am

Joe Buck wrote:
Gigi M. wrote:This is totally unnecessary.
Just like the new film.
Absolutely, I'm glad I still have my boxset that came out in '01.

THX1378

#16 Post by THX1378 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:13 pm

The second box set with the double disc sets were one of the best box sets for it's time. I don't see why Fox didn't re-release that set at a lower price with the extra disc to cash in on the new film *which btw is on the top of my list for most pointless and worst looking film of the summer*.

dx23

#17 Post by dx23 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:39 pm

I think this thread should go in the FOX DVD sub-forum, since this set, as well as the previous ones, are released by them.

margot

#18 Post by margot » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:37 am

Yeah I don't know why they are bothering releasing a new boxset of all 3 movies with a free ticket to see LFODH. It's a downgrade. I'm gonna pickup that 6-disc set though.

patrick

#19 Post by patrick » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:47 am

I was pretty mad when I saw that new box at Target and realized it was the 1-disc versions with a throwaway bonus disc.

However, Fox did just reissue the 2-disc Die Hard in their line of steelbook reissues of out-of-print SEs (alongside Fight Club, Predator and a few others), and it has a DTS track (I'm pretty sure the originals didn't) if that's your bag.

EDIT: I couldn't resist and had to make a trip out to Best Buy to pick up the steelbook Die Hard (I love steelbooks), it's a nice set made even nicer by the inclusion of a DTS track. Otherwise, it appears to be about the same as the original "Five Star Collection" edition. I feel like emailing Fox and asking why Die Hard II didn't get a similar steelbook treatment.

DrewReiber

#20 Post by DrewReiber » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:02 am

patrick wrote:EDIT: I couldn't resist and had to make a trip out to Best Buy to pick up the steelbook Die Hard (I love steelbooks), it's a nice set made even nicer by the inclusion of a DTS track. Otherwise, it appears to be about the same as the original "Five Star Collection" edition. I feel like emailing Fox and asking why Die Hard II didn't get a similar steelbook treatment.
Maybe they only did it for Die Hard because the others in the series weren't given "Five Star" status?

patrick

#21 Post by patrick » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:21 am

I'm not sure, as far as I can remember none of the other 2-disc Fox steelbooks were "Five Star Collection" DVDs either - I'm pretty sure they were all in that numbered series of LEs. Fox certainly doesn't have the clearest plans when it comes to releasing DVDs.

colinr0380

#22 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:16 pm

patrick wrote:However, Fox did just reissue the 2-disc Die Hard in their line of steelbook reissues of out-of-print SEs (alongside Fight Club, Predator and a few others), and it has a DTS track (I'm pretty sure the originals didn't) if that's your bag.
Just a quick note that the earlier six disc set also featured DTS soundtracks on all three of the films.

Fletch F. Fletch

#23 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:53 pm

Markson

Re: Die Hard

#24 Post by Markson » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:20 pm

Not sure where else to put this: McTiernan is going to prison.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Die Hard

#25 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:58 pm

As a fan of his work, it's sad news but he should obviously serve the time on this. I still hope he gets to do Shrapnel, as it sounds like something that would be a classic McTiernan film.