Die Hard

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
bearcuborg

Re: Die Hard

#51 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:22 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:38 pm
Just in time for Christmas, La-La Land Records is releasing a 30th anniversary 3-CD set of Michael Kamen's score. Previous releases were taken from stereo or mono sources, whereas this one is from newly discovered multi-tracks (presumably found when Fox was giving this a 4K upgrade), making this the best-sounding release of the score yet. And with the extra tracks and alternate takes, the most complete.

Good find, that is one great soundtrack.

flyonthewall2983

#52 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:44 am

It's every bit the perfect marriage of humor and suspense that the film is, and the action cues are unparalleled. They literally don't make them like this anymore, with an orchestra that really breathes as opposed to how they are used now.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#53 Post by cdnchris » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:36 pm

It holds up wonderfully. Again, add this to the list of films I should not show my kids, but my daughter watched this and thought it was great. Kept her in suspense and held her attention throughout. You're right in that they really don't make them like this anymore. That Skyscraper film basically ripped off the premise more or less but couldn't come anywhere near this.

flyonthewall2983

#54 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:23 pm

My copy just came in and I'm impressed at how crisp everything sounds, and hearing certain passages and instruments that were likely lost until the discovery of the multi-tracks. I won't wade into the discussion of whether or not it's a Christmas movie but the score certainly makes the strongest argument in favor of it, what with all the bells and Christmas percussion, weaved into the score with it's references to Beethoven, Roy Rogers and Singin' In The Rain.