Unauthorized Releases & Bootlegs

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Cash Flagg

Re: Unauthorized Releases & Bootlegs

#301 Post by Cash Flagg » Sun May 02, 2010 8:38 pm

How are http://www.LovingTheClassics.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.robertsvideos.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ? Both have copies of Take Me to Town available, but the former's price is $14.99 (though curiously the VHS is $19.95), the latter's $24.95.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#302 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 02, 2010 8:57 pm

It's on iOffer for $9...

Cash Flagg

#303 Post by Cash Flagg » Sun May 02, 2010 9:20 pm

Wasn't familiar with that site, thanks.

furbicide

Re:

#304 Post by furbicide » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:22 pm

SHOCKMASTER wrote:Yes. Sci-fi films (and novels) are my thing - especially by master filmmakers. I am trying to compile a list of GREAT sci-fi films to track down. If anybody has any suggestions or recommendations please contact me via private message.

I am now also looking for a bootleg copy or whatever of Konstantin Lopushansky's LETTERS FROM A DEAD MAN - it sounds incredible.
I just watched this last night and was blown away by it. Not sure if anyone's interested now (the post I'm quoting is from 12 years ago!), but I just found a version with English subs going here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LETTERS-DEAD ... 2f0aacc216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's probably either a bootleg or a port of the Russian DVD release (same cover) with (hopefully decent) English subtitles added over the top – either way, it seems to be about the only thing going right now. Anyway, I've purchased a copy with some hesitance, and will report back!

yoshimori

#305 Post by yoshimori » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:06 am

Ugly Swans, Museum Visitor, and Letters from a Dead Man were all available on legit Russian PAL dvd years ago. My records -- I have a list with me, but I'm away from the physical discs for the next two weeks -- indicate that the Ugly Swans disc came with English subs, but that I (or parties even more unsavory) may have had to add them to the other two films.

furbicide

#306 Post by furbicide » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:56 am

What I'd give for a decent DVD with English subtitles of Visitor of a Museum! Second Run, et al, are you listening!?

Aunt Peg

#307 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:59 am

Anthony Thorne wrote:Francesco Rosi's ILLUSTRIOUS CORPSES has turned up at a couple of UK bootleg sites, with subs added to a picture taken from the now OOP Italian DVD (the latter 16x9 and with a 5.1 mix). Sadly the subs are of just okay quality, a shame as SBS TV in Australia screened a properly subtitled version years ago and the translation they provided was exemplary. I'm hoping Criterion get to this eventually.

A chap in Armenia(!) has promised to send me a copy of Rosi's THE MATTEI AFFAIR with subs. This is another I'd buy if it popped up properly.

I did get hold of a subbed, 16x9 copy of Umberto Lenzi's KRIMINAL recently. With more obscure Eurocult titles like this I expect fansubbed editions to be a last port of call, with legit Region 1 or 2 releases looking increasingly unlikely.
Don't know if you still are on these boards but this site has a subtitle copy of The Mattei Affair with English subtitles:

http://www.moviedetective.net/product_p/icm.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actually, Movie Detective is loaded with hard to find foreign language films. The quality of about 90% is very good (all are DVD-R) and come in plastic slips, though some titles look like VHS masters. Whenever any titles gets proper release in the U.S. it is promptly removed from the site.

Boosmahn

#308 Post by Boosmahn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:33 pm

Is my copy of The Treatment a bootleg? I just picked it up (sealed) from my local Half Price Books. The back of the disc looks a little odd; it's much darker than the other Blu-rays I have. Artsploitation Films is a boutique label, though, so their products could be made differently.

Front:

Back:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#309 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:23 pm

I believe many (all?) of Artsploitations early Blu-rays were MOD BD-Rs, which is what that is

Adam X

#310 Post by Adam X » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:08 am

Their first two Blu-Ray’s (Der Samurai & Horsehead) were BD-R’s. They subsequently rereleased them as pressed discs due to complaints, though never did a recall. They continued with this for a while, though more recently appear to’ve reverted to using BD-R’s for some, if not all of their titles.
Artsploitation wrote:PLEASE NOTE: The Blu-ray release of THE TREATMENT is duplicated rather than replicated and limited to 500 copies. Due to customer demand we will be replicating future Blu-ray releases.
I’d get in touch, see if you can’t get a replacement.

Boosmahn

#311 Post by Boosmahn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 am

Thanks. I figured it could be something like that, but it's nice to have confirmation.

Are BD-Rs of particularly bad quality? Or are they more susceptible to disc rot?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#312 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:54 am

BD-Rs are unstable. Releases that utilize them are literally not allowed to use the Blu-Ray logo on their packaging

Boosmahn

#313 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks for your help, Domino and Adam. I reached out to Artsploitation and eventually shipped The Treatment for a replacement disc... but there was never a "duplicated" Blu-ray, only a "replicated" one.
Ray from Artsploitation Films wrote:Well, after going through records of a few years ago it seems that the guy here who placed the order placed a REPLICTED instead of DUPLICATED. So all this time all the Blu-rays were just REPLICATED.
...So he's just going to send it back to me. But I can pick two titles as collateral for all the trouble, so it's a success in my books.

Rublev's Ghost

Re:

#314 Post by Rublev's Ghost » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:01 am

exte wrote:
Tue May 10, 2005 11:02 pm
Has anyone heard of a bootleg called, "Scorsese Assembled: Collected Works"?

It includes "Martin Scorsese Directs" - a British 60-minute documentary made in 1990 when he was shooting Goodfellas, and "In Search of Kundun with Martin Scorsese" - an 85min. documentary made in 1998. The set is a two disc that also includes American Boy, which I'm dying to see. I know bootlegs are by no means stadardized, but someone apparently got all of this in one set. Anyone? Thanks.
Sorry for this blast from the past but can anyone tell me if these documentaries were released anywhere else. I have the "In Search of Kundun" on the Blu-ray release.

I've never traced American Boy. "Martin Scorsese Directs" is partly on YouTube but missing part 3 (I've tried to message the uploader but no response) . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4TpIKBqc9k

If any of these are extras on official releases could you let me know?

GoodOldNeon

#315 Post by GoodOldNeon » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:47 am

American Boy is on this DVD: https://www.madman.co.nz/catalogue/view ... hort-films

It is listed as out of stock, but I was able to buy it on Amazon UK not too long ago.

The only Scorsese which I am still looking for is "Street Scenes," which does not seem to be available anywhere.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#316 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:24 pm

Scorsese supposedly has the only print of Street Scenes and won't make it available to anyone, not even to researchers. Marc Raymond's Hollywood's New Yorker: The Making of Martin Scorsese has a lengthy section on the film with descriptions of its content and some speculation on why Scorsese buried it (ultimately boiling down to conflicts between Scorsese and the rest of the collective behind the project).

Big Ben

#317 Post by Big Ben » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:47 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:24 pm
Scorsese supposedly has the only print of Street Scenes and won't make it available to anyone, not even to researchers. Marc Raymond's Hollywood's New Yorker: The Making of Martin Scorsese has a lengthy section on the film with descriptions of its content and some speculation on why Scorsese buried it (ultimately boiling down to conflicts between Scorsese and the rest of the collective behind the project).
A version of Street Scenes is out and about on Youtube as at least one site has reported on it although I'm unsure about how long it'll be out and about though. And this is all you're getting out of me due to advice I was given about the matter.

Oedipax

#318 Post by Oedipax » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:32 am

Wow, thanks for the tip-off, Big Ben. I just pulled a copy down to my hard drive since, as you mention, it might not be around on YouTube forever.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#319 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:01 pm

For those who don't need subtitles, here's Contre l'oubli, a 1991 portmanteau film from Amnesty International without any commercial release featuring contributions from a murderers row of French cinema, including Godard & Mieville, Resnais, Deville, Denis, Costa-Gavras, Akerman, Tavernier, and many more...

senseabove

#320 Post by senseabove » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:20 pm

A VHS-quality rip of Kelly Reichardt's Ode with burned-in German subs has found its way to vimeo, password 'benjamin': https://vimeo.com/333837341

Found via Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/klipp/film/ode/

Aunt Peg

#321 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:45 am

I suppose this is as good as any thread to post this on. A couple of rarities have turned up on YouTube:

Birds Do It, Bees Do It (1974) taken from a VHS master by the looks of it;

My Son, My Son (1940);

The Memory of Justice (1976) clearly the recent 4K restoration that looks sensational. Hopefully a physical media release will be forthcoming.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#322 Post by barryconvex » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:55 am

Actually, Movie Detective is loaded with hard to find foreign language films. The quality of about 90% is very good (all are DVD-R) and come in plastic slips, though some titles look like VHS masters. Whenever any titles gets proper release in the U.S. it is promptly removed from the site.
I just placed an order from this site for Ce Soir ou Jamais and L'invention de Morel as I attempt to see every movie Anna Karina made in roughly the first 15 years of her career. The 1974 version of L'invention de Morel-which co-stars Karina- is a title I stumbled upon years ago through back channels (it now has a legitimate dvd release) and I'm looking forward to this earlier attempt. The title refers to a tide activated device discovered by a fugitive run aground on a desert island that brings to life the island's former inhabitants. It's the best blind bootleg buy (along with Dead Man's Letters) I ever made and I heartily recommend it if anyone's curious.

Orson Kane

#323 Post by Orson Kane » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Oedipax wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:32 am
Wow, thanks for the tip-off, Big Ben. I just pulled a copy down to my hard drive since, as you mention, it might not be around on YouTube forever.
Does anyone know if this is available on a Mirror site anywhere as YouTube has taken it down due a copyright claim from a certain M. Scorsese

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#324 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:59 pm

iOffer has suspended all sales

Dylan

#325 Post by Dylan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:24 am

Orson Kane wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:55 pm
Oedipax wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:32 am
Does anyone know if this is available on a Mirror site anywhere as YouTube has taken it down due a copyright claim from a certain M. Scorsese
It is still available to watch here.