Unauthorized Releases & Bootlegs

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
quequetz

#276 Post by quequetz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:52 am

myrnaloyisdope wrote:Anyone know where I could find a copy of Mark Donskoi's "My Apprenticeship"?. I don't really want to spend a 50-100 dollars for the VHS tape.
Try here, but, most likely without English subtitles.

Antoine Doinel

#277 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 am

wpqx wrote:When I saw Out 1 there was someone who was doing subtitles live while following a script, it was strange and worked like a slide show posted over the film. Same happened when I saw some rare Czech films at Facets a year or two back.
Yeah, I saw some Nikkatsu films this summer where they did the same thing.

Perkins Cobb

#278 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 pm

Despite my skepticism, a spot-check shows that the SuperHappyFun titles I'd considered buying have, as promised, turned up on NotAvailableonDVD.com's less-than-bare-bones website. And with a price reduction, too.

jsteffe

#279 Post by jsteffe » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:07 pm

myrnaloyisdope wrote:Anyone know where I could find a copy of Mark Donskoi's "My Apprenticeship"?. I don't really want to spend a 50-100 dollars for the VHS tape.
I assume you're referring to the VHS from the New York Film Annex? The quality leaves something to be desired, but it's watchable, and it's the only subtitled option that I'm aware of. Other than that, I'd also recommend the Ruscico DVD, which is apparently unsubtitled. They have a pretty good track record working with Gorky Studio, which is what Soyuzdetfilm morphed into.

BTW: Ruscico's DVD of Mark Donskoi's "Sel'skaia uchitel'nitsa" ("The Village Schoolteacher") looks really nice, and it's subtitled to boot. If you're into Soviet cinema, that's a must-have.

Stefan Andersson

#280 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:06 am

Facets used to sell a VHS of Ophuls´ BARTERED BRIDE. Connoisseur Video (US) had Ophuls´ MAYERLING/SARAJEVO on VHS. Comments?

wpqx

#281 Post by wpqx » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:23 pm

I saw the Mayerling VHS and the quality was watchable but certainly not up to the home vision transfers.

jmcbride

Identifying Bootlegs

#282 Post by jmcbride » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:29 pm

Identifying Bootlegs

I have a brother who does not have internet access and he has asked for me to find him some help.

He needs to get in touch with someone who can help him identify bootleg copies and what to look for to ensure he does not get scammed.

He is a huge oldies movie buff and has purchased some movies and has discovered he has been scammed in the past. If there is anyone in this forum area who can help I would appreciate any and all help. If he can call you or contact you in any means or you can direct me to a website that gives hints and things to look for that would be great.

I look forward to any and all help!

Thanks!

thirtyframesasecond

Downloading films, torrents etc....

#283 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:23 am

Mods, please move this if it's in the incorrect forum.

Does anyone use torrents etc to download out of print/impossible to obtain films? How do you find it works? There's a series of films I'm interested in seeing, impossible to get hold of because they've never been released and so on and feel this might be the only means of being able to see these films. Of course I know about the copyright violations related to this but I suppose the other side of the argument is that if the film's been buried with no prospect of commercial release then who's been harmed?

foliagecop

Re: Downloading films, torrents etc....

#284 Post by foliagecop » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:52 am

I downloaded Menilmontant through a torrent site last year (following Herr Schrek's glowing recommendation) because I was a) intrigued, and b) too poor to fork out for the Avant-Garde box set it was part of. I was so glad I did, it's a tremendous piece of cinema.

So, yeah, there are obvious benefits to doing this, especially if the film in question - unlike Menilmontant - isn't readily available. The copyright issue - well, people have their own opinions on that, and you could bat it back and forth for millenia and still get nowhere. Personally speaking, I'm in favour of it. I've seen films by filmmakers I probably wouldn't have taken a chance on, and now they're on my 'to buy' list.

Blind-downloading. It's the future. :wink:

myrnaloyisdope

Re: Unauthorized Releases & Bootlegs

#285 Post by myrnaloyisdope » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:36 pm

I download a lot of films, it's a great resource for a lot of films. I know I've been able to find a ton of pre-code films I wouldn't have had access to, as well as silents, foreign films, and general curiosities.

That being said, I still buy a lot of films as well, generally my plan of action is to download a film I'm interested in, and then if I like it I end up buying. I think I'm now over 700 DVDs because of this policy.

The only blind buys I make, are for films I can't find elsewhere, or if I like a film or two in a boxset, I'll generally get the set.

I've found online renting to be frustrating, due to having to wait for films. Also my experience with Les Vampires involved receiving the 2nd disc of the set first, and then having to wait another 10 days for the 1st disc to arrive so I could actually watch the set. Stuff like that is irritating.

Anthony Thorne

#286 Post by Anthony Thorne » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:05 am

Francesco Rosi's ILLUSTRIOUS CORPSES has turned up at a couple of UK bootleg sites, with subs added to a picture taken from the now OOP Italian DVD (the latter 16x9 and with a 5.1 mix). Sadly the subs are of just okay quality, a shame as SBS TV in Australia screened a properly subtitled version years ago and the translation they provided was exemplary. I'm hoping Criterion get to this eventually.

A chap in Armenia(!) has promised to send me a copy of Rosi's THE MATTEI AFFAIR with subs. This is another I'd buy if it popped up properly.

I did get hold of a subbed, 16x9 copy of Umberto Lenzi's KRIMINAL recently. With more obscure Eurocult titles like this I expect fansubbed editions to be a last port of call, with legit Region 1 or 2 releases looking increasingly unlikely.

unclehulot

Re:

#287 Post by unclehulot » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:16 pm

david hare wrote:Someone who shall remain nameless has asked me if anyone anywhere has managed to do English subs for three early Ophuls, Die Verkaufte Braut, Verliebte Firma and and Lachende Erben. I can't find anything at the usual place but this doesn't mean they are not out there. Certainly a print of Verkaufte can be made available if subs are possible.
Here's Verkaufte w/subs. Not great, but certainly no worse than the VHS I saw years ago, and subs are readable:

Cineman

#288 Post by Cineman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:08 pm

There has been a number of significant titles added recently to the catalogue on the website below and over the past month:

RareDVDs4Sale

As well as unreleased movies there are a number of documentaries on directors, short films and interviews too.

Titles include:

Best Intentions (Swedish 5.5hr TV Version)
El Sur (Erice - with english subs)
Filming Othello (Welles)
La Fièvre monte à El Pao aka Fever mounts in El Pao (Bunuel - with eng subs)
Liebelei (Ophuls - with eng subs)
Mashgh-e Shab aka Homework (Kiarostami - with eng subs)
Quatre Nuits d'un Rêveur aka Four Nights of a Dreamer (Bresson - recent upgrade version - with english subs)
Samuel Fuller: Lecture at Edinburgh Film Festival
Shzors (Dovzhenko - stunning - sadly no english subs)
Tih Minh (Feuillade - sadly missing last 70mins)
Tales Out Of School (David Leland TV Series)
Around 50 episodes from Play for Today/Wednesday Play

Forthcoming titles include:

L'Amour Fou (Rivette - with english subs)
Underground (Kusturica - 5hr TV version with english subs)

Thanks also goes to Scharphedin2 on page 8 for reviewing some of the titles he purchased from here a while back.

myrnaloyisdope

#289 Post by myrnaloyisdope » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:33 pm

RareDVDs4Sale is a really good resource. I've had nothing but good experiences, and the guy who runs the site is friendly and helpful.

I should note that Tih Minh is without English subs for anyone who might be inclined to check it out.

Jonathan S

#290 Post by Jonathan S » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:29 am

david hare wrote:Is it also missing the last 70 minutes, as reported elsewhere about another burn?
I don't have it, but on the RareDVDs4Sale listing for Tih Minh, it says:
I had started restoring film and adding english titlecards but sadly film is now found to be incomplete and missing last part

Knappen

#291 Post by Knappen » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:16 am

Well, at least there are existing prints that are as good as complete.

Saw one at the Cinémathèque française three years ago. With Italian subs, I think.

denti alligator

#292 Post by denti alligator » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:34 am

It's been restored by Gaumont and should be coming, eventually.

They seem to be doing the major serials in chronological order, so I suspect Judex will be next, followed by Tih Minh. 2013 is my guess. With the AE following in 2016. I said it here first. I'd like to be proven wrong.

Knappen

#293 Post by Knappen » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Why don't they wait another 5 years? 2018 would make it such a nice, round number!

HerrSchreck

#294 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:52 pm

Knap, Scharph, dave, etc..: Let's all make a pact that, since it looks like we're going to hafta wait another few dozen fucking years for them, those who still live will bring-- instead of roses-- copies of the Feulliade DVDs to leave on the grave of those who have passed by the time they finally come out.

Knappen

#295 Post by Knappen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:25 pm

We'll bring DVD9 copies. No compression!

HerrSchreck

#296 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:26 pm

NO NO NOES!!! BD-R's ONLY!!!! (do they even exist yet?)

Knappen

#297 Post by Knappen » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:58 am

In any case we'll make sure it will be a worthy conclusion for a silent film buff.

With funeral music specially composed by Giorgio Moroder !

subliminac

#298 Post by subliminac » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:50 pm

Could anyone provide me with some good sites that offer custom made subtitles? Hopefully something I can direct download, without having to use P2P software if possible (although I will if it is my only option). Feel free to PM if you would rather not post openly. Thanks.

myrnaloyisdope

#299 Post by myrnaloyisdope » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:25 pm

opensubtitles is one of the one's I've used quite a bit.

Stefan Andersson

#300 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:38 am

I´m looking for a US bootleg site. Can´t remember the name, think it´s a long one like "worldwidemoviesondvd". Well-designed, graphics-heavy site, lots of color thumbs of non-US DVDs.