It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:53 am 

I'm in Brooklyn and still in this "label created" purgatory as well. Then again mail may be a bit slow here for a little while...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:58 am 

Maybe they're deliberately holding off from shipping to our areas, but that seems crazy to me. That's a lot of foresight.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:04 am 

Bad news, folks...

Without warning, without notification and without any change in the status until right this moment -

The box set was just delivered.

I'm pulling for you guys, though. Maybe mfunk's box was on the same truck?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:18 am 

FedEx? As of yesterday evening (I have a service that shows what FedEx packages are headed to me because of work), nothing was on its way to me. Fudge. Well, congratulations. I knew you'd abandon me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:25 am 

Any chance of a thread split for the sake of those of us not caring about mfunk's delivery worries?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:28 am 

Sorry. I was just having fun with it. Didn't mean to offend anyone with my selfish comments. Please feel free to resume griping about how much you all hate this set.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:29 am 

Back in stock at The Hut....

I grabbed one. It said I should receive before 11/9.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:51 am 

I tried to order it again (better to get two copies than no copies, as my order remains in limbo) and it appears that it's back out of stock. I was getting all sorts of glitches as I tried to order it - it was like a WootOff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 pm 

david hare wrote:
Interestingly we watched Man Who projected last night (on 100 inch diagonal screen.) I frankly don't see any real pulsing or fluctuation issues, but what is clear is that the transfer was done by someone who has genuinely had to work with very compromised elements - and they have done an attentive and consistent job guiding it through the digital beauty shop. The last 30 minutes in particular are completely consistent in quality and the viewing experience is quite good. It's certainly a far cry from the DVNR catastrophe on show elsewhere in the box.

If you can find the Scorsese doco "A Personal Journey thorugh American Movies" you can see that mint quality IB grab from the opening of Rope - a perfect litmus test for skin tone, contrast, and palette. It has real depth and classic 40s Tech "amber" skin tone/makeup. This is the print they need to find. The current BD and previous SDs have manipulated or flat color which doesn't even reflect la Kalmus. I frankly do not see any problematic registration issues or even pusling/color contrast fluctuation at all in this transfer.

So I really agree with you on all of these, except perhaps the Birds. But I may even find I change my mind on that after a projection screening tonight.

I am also glad to see you have some issues with the Warner/Ned Price redo of NBNW. The first and most obvious problem with it is the overdosing of yellow in the color temp. Skin tones become ugly, tanned parodies of Tech. The same over balance to yellow of course ruins Ned Price's revision of The Searchers (which they are now re doing.)

Thank you for the comments. I'm taking a savage beating over on the Home Theater Forum regarding my opinion of TMWKTM. It seems once certain people have spoken, their words become cannon and everyone lines up to follow their lead regardless if they have even seen the thing.

The color pulsing issue is there. But you know a funny thing: it's there in a lot of movies. It's there is Black Narcissus, which received the highest marks over at HTF. Variable fade issues are hardly uncommon. You'd think none of them had ever seen anything like it. It's amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:49 pm 

I'll keep an eye on HTF in that case. I mean, in an ideal world Robert Harris is perfectly right to want Uni to do a new preservation master et al for TMWKTM, and I wish it would happen, indeed with him doing it, but as far as this box is concerned the damage that's been done to all the post 1960 titles in this box is more immediately horrendous.

Re the Birds, yes there are big, big problems here. What confounds me is the the chasm between the quality of the exterior shots, all of which look fabulous and really show off major color work and beautiful fine Tech grain. But then all the Mediums and CUs of actors in the interiors have been zapped with some processing which seems to be an attempt to fight off, in the early partof the film at least, the soft focus filters Robert Burks used for Tippi. It seems to me once they started overprocessing that with DVR and god knows what else they adopted the same approach for all the remaining mediums and CUs. The interior wides have depth and fine detail and look much better.

So I am afraid I have to agree with you and Nick although I have a slightly different take on the issues with the transfer. It's a failure, but should have been as beautiful as the exterior shots displayed. It has to be redone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:58 am 

Strevlac wrote:
The color pulsing issue is there. But you know a funny thing: it's there in a lot of movies. It's there is Black Narcissus, which received the highest marks over at HTF. Variable fade issues are hardly uncommon. You'd think none of them had ever seen anything like it. It's amazing.

I just saw Criterion's Black Narcissus BD last week and noticed the same thing. It's not bad, but there's definitely "pulsing" and left me wondering if it's too difficult to completely eradicate? FWIW, I was watching this on a 55" screen that was pretty close to the couch, and I'm certain that made it more noticeable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:32 am 

I too saw the pulsing on Black Narcissus (Carlotta release) but it is also noticeable quite easily on numerous scenes of The Red Shoes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:37 pm 

mfunk9786 wrote:
Sorry. I was just having fun with it. Didn't mean to offend anyone with my selfish comments. Please feel free to resume griping about how much you all hate this set.

Seems you have reason to be frustrated with Fingerhut. I ordered the set Friday and received a shipping notice today...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:39 pm 

What is Fingerhut and how can they sell the set at 66% off?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:41 pm 

By not shipping 66% of orders?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:05 pm 

Hahahahaha. I am going crazy about this Jesus Christ almighty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:06 pm 

Haven't you heard of valium? Or strong drink? You might need it after you see the sixties transfers in any case.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:19 am 

ShellOilJunior wrote:
I ordered the set Friday and received a shipping notice today...

This Friday (the 2nd)? I've been checking the last several days, and when it's out of stock the site doesn't appear to let you place an order.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:49 am 

Noiradelic wrote:
ShellOilJunior wrote:
I ordered the set Friday and received a shipping notice today...

This Friday (the 2nd)? I've been checking the last several days, and when it's out of stock the site doesn't appear to let you place an order.

Yep. I checked it on my break at work around 11am (EST) and got lucky.

I just made sure that I was already registered going in. I missed out before because a button wasn't working in the registration process.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:25 pm 

Got the set this weekend. Still not a fan of these cardboard slipcase wallets, they really suck. I've pulled Marnie and Vertigo and both were marked up. The former had some kind of residue that did come off, but there's definitely a small knick in the disc. Vertigo has these long, thin smears that look like bad scratches but with some gentle buffing, they eventually started to smear off - it'll probably take a while to clean.

Anyway, Marnie is definitely a disappointment. As the opening shot pulls out, the 'lattice' structure of the noise does become very apparent for a second or two.

I'm not sure the mono track on Vertigo is the original, but if it isn't, they definitely fixed up the remix and at least got the levels and maybe the compression right so that the new Foley effects don't sound out of place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:17 pm 

I got the set and my shoes!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:28 pm 

How's the grain structure on the shoes?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:34 pm 

The only way to take any disc out of this set is by touching its surface with fingers, leaving fingermarks every time you take out a disc to play.
If anyone has found a creative way to take discs out of this set without leaving fingermarks on its surface near the edge, please let me know. I will be very obliged.
I cannot understand how large manufacturing companies can design packages that do not respect basic rules of quality.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:34 am 

IT SHIPPED

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:40 am 

mfunk9786 wrote:
IT SHIPPED

Our long national nightmare is over.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next