It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:49 pm 

kekid wrote:
The only way to take any disc out of this set is by touching its surface with fingers, leaving fingermarks every time you take out a disc to play.
If anyone has found a creative way to take discs out of this set without leaving fingermarks on its surface near the edge, please let me know. I will be very obliged.
I cannot understand how large manufacturing companies can design packages that do not respect basic rules of quality.

I use the microfiber cleaning cloth that came with my laptop. My Universal Monster Classics box set had gooey residue around the edges of most of the discs ... very distressing (I know, I know I should have returned the box... but dealing with Deep Discount for returns can be such a pain). All the discs played without a problem, but I can only hope that the residue doesn't contain chemicals that will shorten the life of the discs. Anyway, I discovered the best way to get the discs out of the slip covers without damage is to gently take hold of the edge of the disc using the microfiber cloth as protection and give a gentle tug if necessary. When the Hitchcock set arrived yesterday, I was all prepared with cloth in hand. :lol: Fortunately there is no stickiness around the edges of the Hitch discs so they slip in and out much more easily than the Monsters (still will use the cloth, however).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:31 pm 

mckeldinb wrote:
kekid wrote:
The only way to take any disc out of this set is by touching its surface with fingers, leaving fingermarks every time you take out a disc to play.
If anyone has found a creative way to take discs out of this set without leaving fingermarks on its surface near the edge, please let me know. I will be very obliged.
I cannot understand how large manufacturing companies can design packages that do not respect basic rules of quality.

I use the microfiber cleaning cloth that came with my laptop. My Universal Monster Classics box set had gooey residue around the edges of most of the discs ... very distressing (I know, I know I should have returned the box... but dealing with Deep Discount for returns can be such a pain). All the discs played without a problem, but I can only hope that the residue doesn't contain chemicals that will shorten the life of the discs. Anyway, I discovered the best way to get the discs out of the slip covers without damage is to gently take hold of the edge of the disc using the microfiber cloth as protection and give a gentle tug if necessary. When the Hitchcock set arrived yesterday, I was all prepared with cloth in hand. :lol: Fortunately there is no stickiness around the edges of the Hitch discs so they slip in and out much more easily than the Monsters (still will use the cloth, however).

Thank you for that suggestion. However, for a set costing more than $200 it should not be necessary to find a microfiber cleaning cloth to keep the discs protected. I bet most buyers of the set will not be doing that, and the discs will be smeared with finger marks. Is there an e-mail address I can communicate the problem to? Thank you once again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:34 pm 

Just use your shirt. Blu-ray discs don't scratch very easily.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:44 pm 

Do you have any idea how much I paid for my shirt?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:46 pm 

Universal needs to go easy on the glue, though, that's what's smearing my discs. Even after I clean one off, when I place it back into the sleeve, it hits a spot inside that's stuck together from the same gunk. It doesn't take much effort to push the disc through, separating the inside of the sleeve, but it just re-smears the disc. At least they made the sleeves extra-glossy, but still, this is pretty bad packaging.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:49 pm 

Definitely not trying to claim it's good packaging, believe me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:31 pm 

swo17 wrote:
Do you have any idea how much I paid for my shirt?

I'm guessing about the same as Old Shepherd'S shoes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:55 pm 

hearthesilence wrote:
Universal needs to go easy on the glue, though, that's what's smearing my discs. Even after I clean one off, when I place it back into the sleeve, it hits a spot inside that's stuck together from the same gunk. It doesn't take much effort to push the disc through, separating the inside of the sleeve, but it just re-smears the disc. At least they made the sleeves extra-glossy, but still, this is pretty bad packaging.

Damn... so we're certain the glue is coming from the packaging? I mentioned this (re: the Monsters set) to a co-worker who has a little bit of knowledge about pressed optical media, and he thought maybe the problem was too much adhesive during the pressing stage. Personally I would prefer that was the problem, as presumably there wouldn't be chemicals in that adhesive that would cause long-term disc damage.

Of course either way, it's shoddy packaging (and I didn't mean to imply that the use of the microfiber cloth mitigated Universal's responsibility).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:53 am 

Other folks who ordered on 10/19 are reporting on Blu-ray.com that their orders are now showing as cancelled. Anyone who hasn't seen this ship yet should start calling Fingerhut and making sure their order will ship. Ask to speak to a supervisor, and ask the supervisor to e-mail the vendor to make sure that your order is going to be shipped.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:06 pm 

mine shipped from zavvi today at 75£, I didn't think they would honor that price

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:49 pm 

mfunk9786 wrote:
Other folks who ordered on 10/19 are reporting on Blu-ray.com that their orders are now showing as cancelled. Anyone who hasn't seen this ship yet should start calling Fingerhut and making sure their order will ship. Ask to speak to a supervisor, and ask the supervisor to e-mail the vendor to make sure that your order is going to be shipped.

Damn, cancelled. Talked to two different reps on the phone claiming the vendor had no stock left, they couldn't keep the order open, I have to re-order once it comes back in stock. They are sending me the original coupon in the mail and assure me that if the price goes up there are multiple notations on my account which would allow me to purchase at the sale price. Notations that I cannot see and they refused to give me any proof of. After 45 min I just accepted this and will have to give it another shot when/if it returns to the site. Oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:05 pm 

I'm so sorry to hear that. I got extremely lucky, it turns out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:31 am 

Just received my set from Zavvi :P

Post subject: Re: Vertigo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:24 pm 

Vertigo is showing at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens on Saturday, November 17 at 4pm.
"Shown in an extremely rare collector’s IB Technicolor print, which keeps the original soundtrack and color beautifully intact." !!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:41 pm 

Surprised at how much better the packaging is than I expected. Sleeves are obviously not ideal, but these sleeves are pliable and the front of them don't extend all the way to the end of the page - so it's not a cuticle-tearing mess like Warners' Kubrick boxset. You can bend the page out a little bit, shimmy the disc out a bit, and then grab it and slide it out. Again - not ideal to have sleeves. And it's not nearly as convenient as HBO's sleeve packaging (which tends to have half the disc exposed up to the center for easy removal). But it's nothing I'm outraged about, and it looks positively lovely.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:45 pm 

I don't understand the appeal of these book things with the disc sleeves. If you absolutely have to do a book design then the pages should just be regular disc hubs like a standard box, with art behind them. All on on one spine. Kind of like that Planet of the Apes chimp-bust set, only not the size of George Constanza's wallet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:24 pm 

The giant digibook from the UK Blu-ray set has to be the one of the cheapest looking things I've seen. The cover of it looks like a piece of paper tightly bound and glued down with PVA glue, and as a result has lots of air bubble underneath as if this was put together by someone at primary school. Mine has a nice tear on the bottom too, even though the sturdy outer box is mint. Clearly some kind soul who put this thing together didn't even take the time to make sure that they were't sending out damaged stuff. Another item to be returned.

What a load of shit these sets have turned out to be, relative to what they could have been. Would it really have been so hard to do one nice set that's the same in the UK, in the US, in Australia and wherever else?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:53 pm 

Have to disagree on the UK packaging. I think it's excellent and saves shelf space. Having said that, I didn't have the problems you reported.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:58 pm 

I'm good with the UK packaging as well. However, this is my second set to order from the UK (after Universal Monsters). What is with the lack of titles on the disc labels? Is this a Universal thing, a UK thing, or an aberation on these two sets?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:19 pm 

It's not just Universal. Warner also has a bad habit of not labeling the discs with the movie's title.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:52 pm 

Graham wrote:
Have to disagree on the UK packaging. I think it's excellent and saves shelf space. Having said that, I didn't have the problems you reported.

I think the inside is quite beautiful and, yes, I'm glad it's very compact too, however the cover appears to be a piece of paper that's glued on and this isn't ideal with a thick spine. Mine's very loose around the spine, hence the tear, and has air bubbles all over the front from less than optimal gluing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:36 am 

I'd definitely send it back then as mine has none of those issues. Sounds like you got a duffer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:11 am 

Anyone who missed this at Fingerhut, I realize this isn't quite as good, but it's $149.99 at Amazon right now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:02 pm 

The UK standard edition is currently available for GBP 61.75 as part of Amazon's "Black Friday" deals: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008RLD1VY
The UK limited edition (Amazon's stock had sold out anyway if I remember correctly) has this up on the page: "Item Under Review - This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:14 pm 

Cheers. I'll just get zavvi to give me a refund instead of a replacement and go for that, especially as Amazon UK has decided to offer me another Prime trial.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next