Warner Brothers Archive Collection (DVDs only)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Jonathan S

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection

#76 Post by Jonathan S » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:16 pm

HarryLong wrote:I mean the TCM watermark isn't that annoying...
Except on the UK's version of TCM where it's a huge panel in the top right corner that remains throughout the film!

Matt

#77 Post by Matt » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:44 pm

Lots of titles 20% off. Naturally, since I just bought 3 two days ago.

Gregory

#78 Post by Gregory » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:52 pm

What does "(EST-MOD)" mean, next to Quality Street and Dance, Fools, Dance?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#79 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:49 am

Made On Demand. If it's 14.99 it's the download and 19.99 is the actual disc.

justeleblanc

#80 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:14 am

I wish there was a way to rent them or stream them "view instantly" online. Has anyone been blind buying many titles from Warner, or just a few they had already heard of?

Gregory

#81 Post by Gregory » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:05 am

^ If you want to watch a lot of them, it might be worth getting a ClassicFlix membership.
--
Thanks for the answer, domino, I just wasn't clear on the difference between EST-MOD and MOD, but I've got it now.

I stacked the SPITFIRE code with the 20% off selected titles and the free shipping offer. I'm glad my earlier prediction was wrong about there not being promotions for these on the Warner site.

Perkins Cobb

#83 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri May 01, 2009 12:46 pm

I bet Warners is not happy about them getting rental copies of the whole collection, but then I guess there isn't much they could do about it.

Now, could some of the other thousands of people who never heard of Classicflix before and join up just to glom onto these WB discs without paying $20 for 'em, please file an occasional report on how long it takes to actually receive one in the mail?

atcolomb

#84 Post by atcolomb » Fri May 01, 2009 12:59 pm

I saw the list and there is one title that i want to see and that is Elia Kazan's Wild River (1960) with Montgomery Cliff and Lee Remick. It's a good film and hard to get except Amazon.UK sells a version of it. I hope down the road Warner Bros. will release it.

HypnoHelioStaticStasis

#85 Post by HypnoHelioStaticStasis » Sat May 02, 2009 3:44 pm

Some new titles up:

Breakfast for Two (1937)
Tom, Dick and Harry (1941)
Broadway Rhythm (1944)
Two Girls and a Sailor (1944)
Badman's Territory (1946)

I looked at the sample clips and it seems that Badman's Territory is a colorized version. The others I'm not sure if they're B/W or technicolor. Maybe somebody familiar with the titles can verify if anything else has been tampered with?

Ted Turner, you've done it again!
Last edited by HypnoHelioStaticStasis on Sat May 02, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#86 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 02, 2009 3:48 pm

HypnoHelioStaticStasis wrote: Tom, Dick and Harry (1941)
So I guess Warners isn't releasing a Ginger Rogers comedy box [-(

Matt

#87 Post by Matt » Sat May 02, 2009 6:50 pm

I would like to offer a resounding recommendation for Breakfast for Two. Terrifically funny.

Jeez, about all I need from them now is Vivacious Lady and Panama Hattie and I can die content. Why don't they have an e-mail announcement of new titles added or, better yet, a RSS feed? Yes, I am actually clamoring for some marketing here.

Antoine Doinel

#88 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat May 02, 2009 8:05 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:
I bet Warners is not happy about them getting rental copies of the whole collection, but then I guess there isn't much they could do about it.
If it leads to people buying titles from their Archive, I'm sure Warners is fine with it.

Cronenfly

#89 Post by Cronenfly » Sun May 03, 2009 1:36 am

Now that Michael Crichton's passed on and thus can contribute nothing in the way of supplements, I sincerely hope Mike Hodges' The Terminal Man is next in line for an Archive release. For in Warner's infinite wisdom, they gave us Looker before it (though I seem to remember Looker coming out as the result of an Amazon poll, so perhaps it's the public who are really to blame)...in any case, Terrence Malick is reportedly a big fan, its score is Glenn Gould playing Bach, and it has George Segal going berserk; what more incentive could WB need? It's already up on demand, so here's hoping it isn't too far away...

Jonathan S

#90 Post by Jonathan S » Sun May 03, 2009 3:06 am

atcolomb wrote:I saw the list and there is one title that i want to see and that is Elia Kazan's Wild River (1960) with Montgomery Cliff and Lee Remick. It's a good film and hard to get except Amazon.UK sells a version of it. I hope down the road Warner Bros. will release it.
Wild River is a Fox film. I have the UK DVD, officially licensed by Optimum - a very good transfer in full CinemaScope, although the box (in a typical Optimum error) states "4:3 full frame"

Zumpano

#91 Post by Zumpano » Sun May 03, 2009 1:06 pm

Beaks @ Aint It Cool announces that Richard Rush's Freebie & The Bean is on the way. I can retire my P&S/POS VHS now. 8-)

atcolomb

#92 Post by atcolomb » Mon May 04, 2009 8:36 am

Jonathan S wrote:
atcolomb wrote:I saw the list and there is one title that i want to see and that is Elia Kazan's Wild River (1960) with Montgomery Cliff and Lee Remick. It's a good film and hard to get except Amazon.UK sells a version of it. I hope down the road Warner Bros. will release it.
Wild River is a Fox film. I have the UK DVD, officially licensed by Optimum - a very good transfer in full CinemaScope, although the box (in a typical Optimum error) states "4:3 full frame"
:oops: ....For some reason i thought it was a Warners' release. I looked at Amazon.Uk and it for sale $6 plus shipping so i might get it since i have a all region dvd player.

skweeker

#93 Post by skweeker » Mon May 04, 2009 8:55 am

But where oh where is America, America?
A blu-ray edition, is the one to hope for, if ya asks me.
But at this point maybe even an Archive edition?

atcolomb

#94 Post by atcolomb » Mon May 04, 2009 9:36 am

skweeker wrote:But where oh where is America, America?
A blu-ray edition, is the one to hope for, if ya asks me.
But at this point maybe even an Archive edition?
I did see it a couple of years ago when it was playing on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) but nothing since and also A Tree Grows In Brooklyn was to be released on dvd but that did not happen...both good movies to see by Kazan.

Lightning

#95 Post by Lightning » Thu May 07, 2009 3:30 pm

More new titles added to the Archive:

Above and Beyond
All The Brothers Were Valiant
Billy the Kid
Bye Bye Braverman
Castle on the Hudson
The Fallen Sparrow
Four Daughters
Freebie & The Bean
The Great Garrick
Hard To Get
Johnny Eager
Party Girl
Pride of the Marines
Princess O'Rourke
Skin Game
Soldier in the Rain
Tarzan and the She Devil
Tarzan and the Slave Girl
Tarzan's Magic Fountain
Tarzan's Peril
Tarzan's Savage Fury

HarryLong

#96 Post by HarryLong » Thu May 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Another James Whale finally makes it to DVD ... sorta.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#97 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 07, 2009 4:10 pm

Lightning wrote:Party Girl
Inexcusable. Thank God I bought the French DVD off someone here

Matt

#98 Post by Matt » Thu May 07, 2009 4:12 pm

Seriously, I can't believe they have an "Add to Facebook" option, yet no way of notifying me by e-mail (let alone RSS) of new additions. And I think more than a few people on this forum are going to be pissed that Party Girl got dumped in the Warner Archive.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#99 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 07, 2009 4:14 pm

Of all the shit that got shoveled into the third Gangsters set, they couldn't find room for Castle on the Hudson? And why isn't Johnny Eager being put in one of the noir sets that they are continuing? I'm so pissed at Warners right now, Christ. Remember when they were the best?

Ivy Mike

#100 Post by Ivy Mike » Fri May 08, 2009 3:01 am

I had been holding out for a standard Region 1 release of Party Girl and Johnny Eager as well (whether in boxsets or standalone), so I will echo some of the dismay. BUT maybe Warner will start improving Archive releases since they are apparently listening to the complaints and feedback (feel free to call me naive).

Not to derail the thread, but does anyone know if the R2 French Party Girl release is audio pitch corrected? I personally prefer to watch PAL dvds slowed down in reclock to accurate speed, but if they're pitch corrected already, then slowing them down is obviously gonna shift the pitch down lower than the accurate pitch. Never really seen pitch correction discussed on these forums (or much anywhere), so I don't know if it's better discussed in a separate thread (or maybe it doesn't bother most people).