The Sopranos

Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Sopranos

#151 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:33 pm

I assume that's a Sony release, they've been doing that to a lot of Complete Series (NewsRadio, Dawson's Creek) that previously came in normal cases. I think DVDBeaver called the plastic surrounding the spindles "Box of chocolates packaging," which is dead-on

flyonthewall2983

#152 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:41 pm

It is. The only upside to it is that it's not super-thick.

flyonthewall2983

#153 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:33 pm

flyonthewall2983

#154 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:43 pm

A prequel written and set to be produced by David Chase, The Many Saints of Newark has found a home at New Line.

Lemmy Caution

#156 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:00 am

So I sees this article about a mob boss getting whacked in his driveway in Staten Island, yeah? So 6 or 7 bullets pumped into him but did they have to run him over as well, as an insult? Gambino boss, Frankie Cali, 53. Whaddaya gonna do?

The New Jersey DeCalvacante family, which the Sopranos is based on, is under the Gambinos. And I noticed that the Dacalvacante underboss, and former consigliere, is Frank "Goombah Frank" Nigro. I went to high school with his nephew, who used to talk about how his uncle was mobbed up. I believed him, since I didn't really care, but especially since his uncle got the kid a summer job on a NJ highway crew at age 17 paying a then rather nice $11/hour (min wage was $3.35 and I was making around $4.25/hr as a supermarket cashier). Plus, his highway job meant just loafing around with a bunch of union guys, while a few guys did a little work now and then. Cushy and relatively high-paying and ripping off the taxpayers. I forgot all about this until I saw the not-too-common family name.

Quick googling didn't turn up too much info on Frank Nigro (now 73). Two years ago a NJ mobster living in Las Vegas plead guilty to trying to arrange a murder-for-hire. He kept calling Goombah Frank and another NJ mob guy asking for permission to whack another made-man who he thought had been disrespectful. But they kept hedging and never said yes or no, so the gov't wound up dropping the case against those two. There was an FBI agent posing as a Elizabeth, NJ mobster who Charlie The Hat Stango contracted to do the killing (who subcontracted out to two bikers for a mere $25K), but the go-ahead never came.
Stango got 7 years in jail for his murder plot.

The NJ family and the NY Gambinos have been somewhat neutered as their top bosses were tossed in jail in the late 90's

bearcuborg

#157 Post by bearcuborg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:42 pm

jedgeco

#158 Post by jedgeco » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:13 pm

Deadline Hollywood wrote:UPDATED with official title: New Line’s Sopranos prequel feature now officially titled The Many Saints of Newark....