Law and Order

Discuss TV shows old and new.
tarpilot

Re: Law and Order

#51 Post by tarpilot » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks for the assist!
domino harvey wrote:"Gemini" (Season 3, Episode 2) Man tries to Aryan-ize himself via a series of murders
:shock: Just watched this; what a bizarre episode of television. There's almost a great tragic Noir in there (it actually kinda reminded me of Steve Sekely's awesomely insane The Scar)

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#52 Post by lacritfan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:46 pm

tarpilot wrote:Figured here would be a good place to ask: can anyone recommend me episodes from any of the series' iterations that deal in any way with cults, fringe groups, or esoteric religions? Anything from neo-Nazis (Chris Cooper, racist superlawyer) to eps "not based on" Scientology (the fake-Jeremy Blake/Theresa Duncan outing) would apply.

Thanks!
I don't know if you're still interested :
CI - The Healer (Season 5, Episode 18) has to do with voodoo and
SVU - Raw (Season 7, Episode 6) with Marcia Gay Harden is a great, beefy Neo-Nazi episode

flyonthewall2983

#53 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:48 pm

A complete Blu-ray set would probably be improbable if not ludicrously expensive, but if they put out a sort of "greatest hits" of L&O episodes I think I'd be game for it. Original of course, don't care much for the spin-offs.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#54 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:01 pm

Brandon Bird has started a Kickstarter to create a sweet Jerry Orbach-adorned ride, with lots of car-themed extras for donating, like a Jerry Orbach keychain or this very useful placard:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#55 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:53 am

Just to reiterate what I said eight years ago in this thread, the early seasons of Criminal Intent remain compulsively rewatchable. I'm rounding the corner on season four after spending the last eight or so months gradually revisiting the series. I couldn't remember which season had Jamey Sheridan in a fuckin badass eyepatch so I was super pumped when that look finally showed up in the last couple eps. I never watched past season four but since Rene Balcer was around for the fifth season I've picked it up. He was really quite a Sorkin-type influence on the show-- he has a writing credit for every episode he oversaw!

I forgot how many wonderful actors in their waning years Criminal Intent snagged in those early years-- Claire Bloom and Joel Grey especially give great, bombastic perfs in their respective episodes. The show also had a knack for casting comedic actors in serious roles, like Jim Gaffigan and Stephen Colbert

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#56 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:45 pm

So years ago I bought the OOP complete Law & Order series box set on eBay, which I believed to be legit because the elaborate packaging, book, even the outer info sheet all looked real. The discs were pressed and in traditional Universal style. But over the years I kept thinking Universal bungled this release because they shoved too many episodes on each disc so the quality suffered. Now, it's not uncommon for Universal to do this, so I had no reason to question it. But I came across an unrelated post about bootleg DVDs elsewhere and they said to check the file size of the DVD to see if it's a bootleg, as often these counterfeiters will use single layered DVDs for dual layered content. And you've already guessed it, every single disc I tested was single layered, even though the indiv cases and packaging say dual layer. They got me good, and now I have to start the long process of replacing these season by season with authentic DVDs. But I've learned my lesson: never again do I trust eBay or any Amazon Marketplace seller for TV series on DVD. If they can produce a bootleg of this apparent high quality, only to scrimp on the one part that counts (compression/disc size), there's no way to tell just by looking at a listing or even when it's in your hands

flyonthewall2983

#57 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:15 pm

There should be a Discogs for movies/TV.

BigMack3000

#58 Post by BigMack3000 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:25 pm

There is, but it's new.

filmo.gs

McCrutchy

#59 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:45 pm
So years ago I bought the OOP complete Law & Order series box set on eBay, which I believed to be legit because the elaborate packaging, book, even the outer info sheet all looked real. The discs were pressed and in traditional Universal style. But over the years I kept thinking Universal bungled this release because they shoved too many episodes on each disc so the quality suffered. Now, it's not uncommon for Universal to do this, so I had no reason to question it. But I came across an unrelated post about bootleg DVDs elsewhere and they said to check the file size of the DVD to see if it's a bootleg, as often these counterfeiters will use single layered DVDs for dual layered content. And you've already guessed it, every single disc I tested was single layered, even though the indiv cases and packaging say dual layer. They got me good, and now I have to start the long process of replacing these season by season with authentic DVDs. But I've learned my lesson: never again do I trust eBay or any Amazon Marketplace seller for TV series on DVD. If they can produce a bootleg of this apparent high quality, only to scrimp on the one part that counts (compression/disc size), there's no way to tell just by looking at a listing or even when it's in your hands
This exact thing happened to me three years ago with NCIS DVDs, only I was tipped off by the first season having optional Chinese subtitles and no audio commentary track on the pilot episode. The twelfth season was coming to Blu-ray, so I had bought a Season 1-11 DVD bundle from an eBay seller with excellent feedback, who was using the correct UPC code for this bundle. At the time, the eleventh season was obviously the most recent one released on DVD, and the bootleg for that season was an even better fake than the one for the first season, with not just the right packaging, copyright warnings and menus, but all commentaries, extras and correct and complete language options, including, as I recall, the subtitles for the extras. The only way I knew for sure those DVDs were fakes was when I put them in my PC and found they were all single-layered DVD-5 discs.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#60 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:39 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#61 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:15 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:53 am
Just to reiterate what I said eight years ago in this thread, the early seasons of Criminal Intent remain compulsively rewatchable. [...] I never watched past season four but since Rene Balcer was around for the fifth season I've picked it up. He was really quite a Sorkin-type influence on the show-- he has a writing credit for every episode he oversaw!
I'm nearing a wrap on my slow watch of season five and it is definitely as good as any of the previous seasons. Indeed, I thought "Vacancy" was one of the best episodes of the series, a completely engrossing whodunnit (rare for this show, since the slow reveal of the guilty party is part of the process, but this one really had me going with all its twists) that turns into a vicious satire of method acting run amok. Brilliant stuff. I like Annabella Sciorra's no nonsense straight man to Chris Noth's braggadocio, but I can kinda see why they didn't bother to invite her back but kept Logan. Of course, pairing him with anyone but Jerry Orbach's gonna feel a bit off anyways, but it was fun to have him back in the fold. Hard to imagine I'll keep watching after this season though, with no Balcer AND no Courtney B Vance. Unless anyone wants to speak out in favor for the rest of the series. Main criticism: for God's sakes, enough with these Nicole Wallace episodes-- I liked the first couple ones, but talk about diminished returns in this series' efforts to make her D'Onofrio's Moriarty

Mr Sausage

#62 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:00 pm

domino wrote:Main criticism: for God's sakes, enough with these Nicole Wallace episodes-- I liked the first couple ones, but talk about diminished returns in this series' efforts to make her D'Onofrio's Moriarty
Oh, there's more of them to come. And they get dumber as they go along.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#63 Post by lacritfan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:30 pm

I'm a big Criminal Intent fan, mostly because of Vincent D'Onofrio. I initially didn't like the Noth/Sciorra/Nicholson/Witt episodes and especially the seasons with Jeff Goldblum and Saffron Burrows but I eventually came around and I like those too now. Eric Bogosian was never as great as Jamey Sheridan but his character has a great exit at the beginning of season nine. The last episode of season seven with Goren and his mentor Declan ties up the arcs of Nicole Wallace and Goren's brother. I actually liked the Nicole Wallace episodes and my only complaint is their arc didn't get a satisfying ending. Logan gets a send off in the second to last episode of season seven. We find out if Goren's real father is a serial killer. We find out who killed Eames husband. There's an episode about a movie mogul raping aspiring actresses played by Jeff Garlin, gee wonder who he's meant to be? (This was made in 2008 so guess everyone kinda of knew back then). Like the first five seasons, numerous great guest stars - comedians playing straight, has-beens, once-famous, etc. One of my favorite episodes is a Jeff Goldblum one with Kevin Conway as a low-key mob boss. Having said that I'd be hard pressed to convince you to watch another four and half seasons.

flyonthewall2983

Law and Order

#64 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:13 pm

I really like the new show with Christopher Meloni’s character returning. Was never a big SVU fan but I liked his intensity, and seeing it front and center in a show that breaks away from the case-a-week mold is refreshing.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#65 Post by Never Cursed » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:38 pm

flyonthewall2983

#66 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:18 pm

I could have gone for a few more seasons with Anthony Anderson and Jeremy Sisto as the cops. They’ll probably go in another direction but they were good.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#67 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:27 pm

Agreed. The last couple seasons were terrific and the whole cast was great, but almost all of the success ultimately comes down to Rene Balcer coming back as showrunner. He just consistently has the best instincts as far as this franchise is concerned

flyonthewall2983

#68 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:09 pm

For that matter I really liked it when they paired Michael Imperioli and the great Dennis Farina too.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#69 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:43 am

Anthony Anderson is returning with a new partner

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#70 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:53 am

Sam Waterston will also be back. They tried to get S Epatha Merkerson back too but she couldn’t get out of Chicago Med. Everyone else in the cast will be new to the series.