Justified

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Murdoch

Re: TV of 2011

#1 Post by Murdoch » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:23 am

The Justified premiere was a nice start to the season although a little clunky, I think the writers struggle to transition between storylines (Raylan's visit to Miami was too hastily done). But the cast of the show is so good I don't mind the flaws, I especially love the actress who plays Raylan's ex. For my money this is the best cast in a dramatic series on TV.

flyonthewall2983

#2 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:38 am

Anyone else here love Justified?

Murdoch

#3 Post by Murdoch » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:32 am

I said it before and I'll say it again, best cast on a tv drama. I think the writing has improved this season as the episode-long plots feel better integrated into the show's story. And I can't get enough of Olyphant as Givens, I actually like him more here than I did in Deadwood.

flyonthewall2983

#4 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:32 pm

I really liked the sub-plot in this week's episode with the bank robber with emphysema, and the showdown with him and Art.

flyonthewall2983

Re: TV of 2012

#5 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Season 3 of Justified really came off with a bang, and further cements Raylan Givans as the most bad-ass character on TV today.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Justified

#6 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:18 pm

I recently gave the first season a try, and while I liked the pilot and the development of that storyline, I wasn't crazy about the format of the show. (I think I'm just over episodic TV in general, at least when it comes to dramas.) Did the second season follow a similar mold?

flyonthewall2983

#7 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:23 pm

I can't say much for the first season, but the second was pretty awesome from beginning to end.

AlexHansen

#8 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:38 pm

The second season started with stand-alone episodes that set the groundwork for the bigger arc for about the first half before shifting the focus solely to the big doin's. *if I'm remembering correctly anyway*

Murdoch

#9 Post by Murdoch » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:01 pm

swo17 wrote:I recently gave the first season a try, and while I liked the pilot and the development of that storyline, I wasn't crazy about the format of the show. (I think I'm just over episodic TV in general, at least when it comes to dramas.) Did the second season follow a similar mold?
I'm with you on the first season, I've never cared for episodic television drama either. Alex is correct that the second season begins in a similar fashion, but once the focus shifts to the story arc concerning Raylan's hometown and its organized crime family the show takes a much more compelling turn. The twisted family dynamics are performed exceptionally by Margo Martindale, Jeremy Davies, et al. and they more than make up for the lackluster beginning to the season.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:52 pm

swo17 wrote:I recently gave the first season a try, and while I liked the pilot and the development of that storyline, I wasn't crazy about the format of the show. (I think I'm just over episodic TV in general, at least when it comes to dramas.) Did the second season follow a similar mold?
The second season is much more planned out than the first, and represents more of a unified statement. I liked the first season, but the second obliterates it

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#11 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Same goes for Mad Men though, Dom...

Forrest Taft

#12 Post by Forrest Taft » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:40 pm

domino harvey wrote:
The second season is much more planned out than the first, and represents more of a unified statement. I liked the first season, but the second obliterates it
I agree with this, but would like to add that the second half of the first season feels much less episodic than the first half, IIRC, as the larger storyline takes the focus away from Rayland Givens' weekly adventures. Looking forward to the new season (plus Luck and the final season of Eastbound and Down).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:07 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Season 3 of Justified really came off with a bang, and further cements Raylan Givans as the most bad-ass character on TV today.
Man, what a brutal and promising season premiere! The casting of Neal McDonough from Boomtown as this season's presumptive heavy is inspired, and the show is as ruthless as ever in its violence and rich supporting character interplay. I suspect we'll need a dedicated Justified thread this season!

Polybius

#14 Post by Polybius » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:31 am

RobertAltman wrote: I agree with this, but would like to add that the second half of the first season feels much less episodic than the first half, IIRC, as the larger storyline takes the focus away from Rayland Givens' weekly adventures.
I agree with that. I never minded the occasional standalone episodes. Several (the one with W. Earl Brown taking hostages and the one with Kristin Bauer playing the decidedly un-Pamlike wife of an escaped con) were really terrific.

I always felt like the Crowder storyline was going to be the thread that tied the season together, something that kicked into high gear with the addition of the ever-cool M.C.Gainey.

Parenthetically, I love the fact that Raylan has now tangled with the lion's share of Al Swearengen's old crew from Deadwood. A guest shot from McShane would be sublime.

This show has everything that you should expect from Leonard's world. Two equally matched guys on the two sides of the law (though that's not always so clear) who have a past, for good and ill, and see a lot of themselves in each other; lots of memorable dialogue and a pervasive droll sense of humor (every scene between Raylan and Art is pure gold) punctuated by occasional acts of all too convincing violence to remind everyone that these are some truly despicable scumbags we're dealing with.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Justified

#15 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:18 am

I think the colorful novelty of the supporting characters can't be undersold-- above all else, I enjoy how even the most minor characters are so vibrantly sketched, which is certainly a Leonard hallmark the show runs with.

Continuing with the promising new developments this season, I'm glad to see the producers setting Ava up with more to do this season-- her reduced role last season while they scrambled to find something for her to do was one of the few weak points of the series. But I love where it looks like they're taking her this round.

Also, on the third season tip, I didn't see the promo but it's my understanding that at least one character from Leonard's world,
SpoilerShow
Carla Gugino reprising her portrayal of Karen Sisco
will be appearing on the show this season. Not to play fantasy baseball with the series, but I'd love to see Beau Bridges reprise his titular role from the short lived Maximum Bob series, though Root's judge is basically the same character. Hey, maybe they're brothers!

tarpilot

#16 Post by tarpilot » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:17 am

domino harvey wrote:I enjoy how even the most minor characters are so vibrantly sketched, which is certainly a Leonard hallmark the show runs with.
In that sense it reminds me a lot of Damages at its best, which similarily excels in bringing surprising personality to exaggerated character types (particularly with Ray Fiske -- the subtlety and detail with which Ivanek and the writers were able to augment such a hammy archetype as the folksy Cajun lawyer is truly remarkable). Also very glad to see Jere Burns (presumably?) upgraded to 'regular' status as Duffy. The man deserves no less than a Michael Gaston-level of TV villain ubiquity.

Professor Wagstaff

#17 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:39 pm

domino harvey wrote:The casting of Neal McDonough from Boomtown as this season's presumptive heavy is inspired
Terriers set McDonough up to be the heavy in season 2 before that show got axed. He seems to be playing the same exact villain except he's gone from California tycoon to the Dixie Mafia.

flyonthewall2983

#18 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:34 pm

I've been hearing that, but I'm not sure I buy this character as a...
SpoilerShow
pedophile
just a cold-hearted killer.

Polybius

#19 Post by Polybius » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:01 am

domino harvey wrote:Also, on the third season tip, I didn't see the promo but it's my understanding that at least one character from Leonard's world,
SpoilerShow
Carla Gugino reprising her portrayal of Karen Sisco
will be appearing on the show this season.
That's what I thought when I saw the promo but everything I've been able to find has her playing a similar, but definitely different, role.

If so, I'm a little disappointed. It would've been a perfect setup.

Tuesday post-episode edit: It looks like Graham Yost is playing it a little cute about all of this.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Now that Mykelti Williamson's shown up as the other heavy for the season, can we call this the year of Boomtown regulars calling in their chits for Yost?

Polybius

#21 Post by Polybius » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:57 am

Between that and the Deadwood connection I mentioned, the operating principle of this show seems to be "We're gettin' the band back together!"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:14 pm

So, they intentionally cast a pawn store owner who looks and sounds just like the guy from Pawn Stars, right?

flyonthewall2983

#23 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:57 pm

It's interesting/possibly frightening to see where the trajectory of McDonough's character will go this season.

Forrest Taft

#24 Post by Forrest Taft » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:52 pm

domino harvey wrote:So, they intentionally cast a pawn store owner who looks and sounds just like the guy from Pawn Stars, right?
The actor is Pruitt Taylor Vince, a wonderful character actor who started his career with memorable turns in movies such as Angel Heart, Barfly, Red Heat, Mississippi Burning (where I first noticed him), Wild at Heart and JFK. He was also the lead in Guiseppe Tornatore's The Legend of 1900 (his one and only lead, I think). Vince is also another cast member brought over from Deadwood. He was a regular on the last two seasons, and when he first showed up on Deadwood I didn't recognize him at all - he'd put on a lot of weight since the 90s - but I recall being quickly drawn in by his work. He was similarly memorable here on this show. Also, I loved that they brought back James LeGros after his brief appearance last season. Like Neil McDonough*, he's an actor who rarely impresses me in movies, but he was simply very well cast here, and a joy to watch.

*Admittedly, the role I most strongly associate McDonough with is M Bison in the lousy Street Fighter sequel. His wooden take on the character is obviously no match to Raul Julia's epic swansong to cinema.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:56 pm

Yeah, I didn't even recognize him, though like any pop culture fan I know him and have been exposed to him quite a bit. I stand by my casting presumption, though.