Justified

Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Justified

#201 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:25 am

The AV Club continues its long slide into irrelevancy by naming the season premiere the year's seventh worst episode of TV, calling it the "Most shocking collapse of a much-loved show." :roll:

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#202 Post by swo17 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:33 am

Here’s hoping the A.V. Club's upcoming final season remembers what made it great.
Fixed

flyonthewall2983

#203 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:04 pm

I still have mixed feelings about the season, but putting the show in that company is a bit too far.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#204 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:27 pm

Further proof that Justified's casting department knows what it's doing: Sam Elliott joining the final season (And Garrett Dillahunt from Deadwood)

cdnchris
Site Admin

#205 Post by cdnchris » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:54 pm

domino harvey wrote:Sam Elliott joining the final season
Awesome.
domino harvey wrote: (And Garrett Dillahunt from Deadwood)
Double awesome.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#206 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:41 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#207 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:16 pm

Sixth and final season starts on January 20th

Polybius

#208 Post by Polybius » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:04 am

Saw the Raylan and Boyd in a burning house promo for the first time a few days ago.

Forrest Taft

#209 Post by Forrest Taft » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:28 pm

Anyone catch the season opener?
SpoilerShow
RIP Dewey Crowe :(
I liked Garret Dillahunt's brief appearance. Intriguing.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#210 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:32 pm

RobertAltman wrote:Anyone catch the season opener?
Anyone who's anyone did.

And yes, it will be interesting to see where they go with Dillahunt's character.

Mr Sausage

#211 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:58 pm

Justified sometimes gets off to a slow start, so I wasn't bothered that the premiere didn't grab me. This past episode was top notch, tho'. That scene between Raylen and Choo-Choo was hysterical. And hand it to this show to take a familiar scene and do it in a way you've never seen before: the prostitute laying out all of Calhoun's problems and taking a moment to share Raylen's amused bewilderment was pretty special.

Leave it to Garrett Dillahunt to intimidate you with friendliness.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#212 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:27 pm

I also found it refreshing that the prostitute simply getting up from under the desk was the episode's "sexual situation," after having just marathoned the first two seasons of The Americans. (So many butts...)

Mr Sausage

#213 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:39 pm

Interesting thing about the season so far: Raylen only seems to be circling events that don't have much to do with him. He's more or less a side-player, adding extra heat to Boyd and Ava's main story. Which is fine with me, I've always thought Boyd the best character on the show (he's the only one who's really developed throughout the series).

wattsup32

#214 Post by wattsup32 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:42 pm

Only three people in the world should be permitted to wear a mustache: Nick Offerman, Rollie Fingers, and Sam Elliott.

I don't want to live in a world where Sam Elliott has no mustache.

flyonthewall2983

#215 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:11 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:Interesting thing about the season so far: Raylen only seems to be circling events that don't have much to do with him. He's more or less a side-player, adding extra heat to Boyd and Ava's main story. Which is fine with me, I've always thought Boyd the best character on the show (he's the only one who's really developed throughout the series).
I would guess that Raylan's personal life will come into the fold as the season progresses, though maybe not to the lengths it went to a few seasons ago (nursery room shootouts and whatnot). The coal mine guy telling him how it never gets easier being a parent was a really interesting moment from that perspective.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#216 Post by cdnchris » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:40 pm

wattsup32 wrote:I don't want to live in a world where Sam Elliott has no mustache.
For those concerned with the lack of a moustache (like my wife and I):

In an interview Elliott said he had shaved it off (I don't think he mentions why) and when he got the role he didn't have time to grow it back before filming started. But he said it actually helped him with the character not to have it.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/01/sam-elli ... tache.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why did you decide to play this character without your trademark mustache?
I didn’t have it when they cast me, and I didn’t have time to grow one that I wanted to wear on weekly episodic TV. So I left it off, and I’m glad I did. It helped me a lot with this guy to look different than I did in most of the work I’ve done. And I never combed my hair straight back, either, so that’s a new thing. That seems absurd, probably, but it’s that little subtle stuff that makes all the difference in the world.
I actually think not having the moustache helps him. His facial expressions and smirks (which may have been hidden by the 'stache) lend a sort of distinguished, gentlemanly charm to the character that makes him seem friendly until he threatens someone with eye-gouging or death which gives it a whole other creep factor.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#217 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:49 pm

cdnchris wrote:In an interview Elliott said he had shaved it off (I don't think he mentions why)
Garret Dillahunt must have stolen it to add to his beard.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#218 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:34 pm

Though it's been a bit of a slow starter, I'm warming up to this season, and this week's episode was the strongest yet, with some great lines and in true miracle fashion the season is actually carving out an organic place in the narrative for Ava! Not sure low-level henchmen like Choo Choo quite merit their utility player status yet, but I'm more optimistic now than I was at the outset of the season after the weirdly watered down premiere.

jbeall

#219 Post by jbeall » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:29 pm

cdnchris wrote:I actually think not having the moustache helps him. His facial expressions and smirks (which may have been hidden by the 'stache) lend a sort of distinguished, gentlemanly charm to the character that makes him seem friendly until he threatens someone with eye-gouging or death which gives it a whole other creep factor.
I feel the same way. There's just something deeply menacing about the way he tilts his head back and smiles. Also, helps me to forget that "ohmigod it's Sam Elliott" and instead just enjoy the Markham's character on his own terms.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#220 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:14 pm

Another fantastic episode this week, with the welcome return of non-plussed Duffy's response to the most extraordinary acts of grotesque violence and also Dickie Bennett's gradual downslide into Manson territory and Loretta! I love how the show is already twisting everyone up in dread-inducing knots of complications and the season isn't even a third of the way through-- I can't wait to see how all of this continues to play out

Mr Sausage

#221 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:09 pm

Didn't think I'd ever seen Mary Steenburgen do dead-eyed menacing, but she was just perfectly intimidating. Plus Sam Elliot's reaction to Raylen telling him he couldn't do something was frightening. Glad to see the writers have managed to integrate Raylen into the story by getting Loretta mixed up into this. I'm enjoying this season, but I don't think it quite hits the heights of seasons 3 and 5. But there's a lot of episodes left in which that could change.
SpoilerShow
Jake Busey blowing up was a great surprise, but it felt like a mere throw away joke. It happens and that's the last we ever hear of it. Boyd just shows up back at the hotel completely clean (and in the same outfit no less!).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#222 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:05 pm

domino harvey wrote:Dickie Bennett's gradual downslide into Manson territory
And I just discovered that Jeremy Davies indeed already played Manson a whole decade ago in a TV movie update of Helter Skelter, which I think I can declare sight unseen perfect casting

flyonthewall2983

#223 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:34 pm

I like that characters like Constable Bob and a few other bit players are coming in for scenes. Kind of like an extended curtain call. And that still we get these bit parts from good actors, like Jeff Fahey this week.

Mr Sausage

#224 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:12 pm

I liked the episode, but have to admit it was mostly filler. Ava's whole run-away thing didn't seem well motivated and mostly just served as another "Ava finds out nothing, frets, gets threatened with jail by Raylen, death by others" sequence. They're just keeping her in stasis until the rest of the plot catches up.

The Boyd stuff was excellent. And even tho' Choo-Choo is a hackneyed stock type, he's played so wonderfully that I can't fault the show.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#225 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:25 pm

Did it leave you aplexed? Fahey was yet another great casting decision so natural I was wracking my brain for a bit as to whether we'd seen him before