Justified

Discuss TV shows old and new.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Justified

#226 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:15 pm

domino harvey wrote:Did it leave you aplexed?
Ha! Although somehow it felt a little too easy for the misunderstood word of the week to come out of the characters playing a game of Scrabble together.

flyonthewall2983

#227 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:45 pm

SpoilerShow
Choo-Choo was definitely the focal point of last night's episode for me. His arc surprised me, as often happens with bit players on this show. His death scene was a nice touch, but a little sad that he didn't last the whole season.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#228 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:51 pm

SpoilerShow
I knew as soon as he had that good scene with the prostitute that he was going to die in this episode. I guess there was a little subversion of the expected with his death by almost-train, but it was still a fairly weak end for a fairly weak character. I am actually surprised they pulled the ol' Marshall shootout with so many of Markam's baddies so soon in the season, but clearly this show is going in a different direction than I expected. And oh man Lymehouse selling out Ava in revenge, I guess I should've seen it coming but I still didn't.

Mr Sausage

#229 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:42 am

I was disappointed they went to the "highly-trained experts are inexplicably crap when the heroes show up" trope. Even worse when they finally bring out the unseen members of the group just so they can be used as fodder in the place of the established characters.

I really liked choo-choo, tho'. Sad to see him go.

flyonthewall2983

#230 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:30 pm

I liked Markham's Vietnam story. A good parallel to Raylan accusing him of blindly hiring armed forces guys.

Polybius

#231 Post by Polybius » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:23 am

Mr Sausage wrote:I was disappointed they went to the "highly-trained experts are inexplicably crap when the heroes show up" trope.
I don't know... I think Raylan covered that with his line about mercenaries not necessarily being good criminals.

Mr Sausage

#232 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:23 am

Polybius wrote:
Mr Sausage wrote:I was disappointed they went to the "highly-trained experts are inexplicably crap when the heroes show up" trope.
I don't know... I think Raylan covered that with his line about mercenaries not necessarily being good criminals.
Meant in the shoot out.

Polybius

#233 Post by Polybius » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:20 am

So did I.

Having said that, you have a valid point about those two guys who we hadn't seen before. They were sort of like security guards on Star Trek.

Seeing Natalie Zea tonight reminds me just how much this show has missed her. I also loved the scene with Markham and Art sparring a little over old times. I always love it when Art deals with someone who is more of a contemporary of his (like the Scott Wilson character a couple of seasons ago and their hilarious Old Guy Chase at the airport.)

Mr Sausage

#234 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Polybius wrote:So did I.
But Raylen's line doesn't cover that. Their being ex-Special Forces is more to the point than their not being criminals.

flyonthewall2983

#235 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:09 pm

Man, this season is just not letting up. Last night's episode might be the best over-all since "Decoy".

Mr Sausage

#236 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:11 pm

I've been lukewarm on this season, but that last episode was electric (continued mishandling of Markham's ex-army goons aside).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#237 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:55 pm

I don't think this final season's been quite up to snuff either, but it's been growing into its larger themes with each episode, though the herky-jerky narrative stops and starts are getting a little tiresome on the whole. I thought this week's ep was a nice throwback to season two, with Loretta fully stepping into the Mags role appealing to the people of Harlan. I also thought the young wild-eyed twerp who threatened her was one of Justified's best criminals in a while, all easy going threats and showing off for his own amusement and confusing it with intimidation. Above all I am really going to miss this show's world of brightly-sketched lowlifes.

Also, I was a week behind so this isn't from the most recent episode, but Raylan's rebuttal to shooting you-know-who in the back is one of the best lines in the series' history
SpoilerShow
"If you wanted to be shot in the front you should have run towards me"

Mr Sausage

#238 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:15 pm

I've been ambivalent about the set-up, but goddamn was the payoff worth it. That was a hell of an episode. It's also the culmination of the theme that's run through the series: Boyd is the smoothest operator, and the thing that fucks up his smoothest operations has always been Ava. And yet she is what has always fueled his ambitions.
SpoilerShow
I hope he's not dead, but the way things are going it's become hard to predict.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#239 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:32 pm

Literally yelled out "What the FUCK" during that ending. You have to hand it to this show, we were convinced where this was all going and yet I doubt anyone saw that coming with three episodes still left!

Also really enjoying Boone as what is presumably the last memorably embodied skuzzball criminal this series will ever introduce

Polybius

#240 Post by Polybius » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:40 am

SpoilerShow
We saw Boyd, being visited by Raylan in the hospital (again) in the previews. So while he might conceivably throw a clot, he's not going to be dead from the start of the next episode.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#241 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:44 am

Does anyone else think they're giving Boon so much screentime with so few episodes left because they're setting him up as a Robert Ford-type who's going to take down one or more of our central characters even though he doesn't "deserve" that dubious honor?

lefeufollet

#242 Post by lefeufollet » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:55 am

domino harvey wrote:Does anyone else think they're giving Boon so much screentime with so few episodes left because they're setting him up as a Robert Ford-type who's going to take down one or more of our central characters even though he doesn't "deserve" that dubious honor?
SpoilerShow
That was my initial thought when they introduced him by way of that sharp-shoot trick with the snake in Loretta's house. Raylan didn't seem for a moment to take him seriously during their time together, either.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#243 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:08 am

Wynn Duffy!

Mr Sausage

#244 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:41 pm

These last few episodes have been some of Justified's best. Reminds me of the breathless feeling of last season. You can see exactly where this is all going, but there's no way to tell how it's going to get there.

Wynn goddamn Duffy!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#245 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:54 pm

SpoilerShow
I thought Boyd escaping in last season's finale was the most last-minute Hail Mary ever but now Duffy's taken that mantle. Holy hell was that impressive. It's irrational how much I've grown to love that character and his ability to survive the most awful acts of violence in his immediate presence. And at this point is there any career with less job/life security than being Boyd's henchman? Loved the showdown between Raylan and the dirty cop too. Lots of good Raylan confrontations lately. I agree, the last couple episodes have definitely picked things up and there's still so many surprises along the way. For starters, I was convinced the mountain man was going to be a surprise cameo, maybe even Ian MacShane, but didn't anticipate it being no one (or, more correctly, most of someone's corpse)

jbeall

#246 Post by jbeall » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:44 pm

Yet another riveting episode in the Great Henchman Culling of 2015, esp.
SpoilerShow
The death-duel between Katherine and Mikey. Holy shit! At this point, Wynn's face spattered with someone else's blood is becoming a running gag, like the Spanish announcers' table in WWE or Walt's car getting wrecked in Breaking Bad. Also, Boon's "my balls are purple, they're so blue" line had me in stitches.

flyonthewall2983

#247 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:29 pm

domino harvey wrote:Does anyone else think they're giving Boon so much screentime with so few episodes left because they're setting him up as a Robert Ford-type who's going to take down one or more of our central characters even though he doesn't "deserve" that dubious honor?
It's a little too bad they didn't give him a longer arc. He's been the Todd of this last season.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#248 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:27 pm

I assume the reason no one's said anything is because this episode just felt like a place-holder transition piece and more of a prologue to the finale than a proper or satisfying whole. I'm a little let down, but mainly because I can't imagine how they're going to tie everything up in just forty minutes after commercials next week

Mr Sausage

#249 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:28 pm

Solid episode; mostly puts all the pieces into position for the showdown. Still allowed itself some time for some great dialogue, especially between Boyd and his captive and Boyd and Raylan at the end.

When did Vasquez become such a dick? I always thought he was pretty chill.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#250 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:45 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:When did Vasquez become such a dick? I always thought he was pretty chill.
I for one never trusted Endless Mike