Justified

Discuss TV shows old and new.
flyonthewall2983

Re: Justified

#251 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:57 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:Solid episode; mostly puts all the pieces into position for the showdown. Still allowed itself some time for some great dialogue, especially between Boyd and his captive and Boyd and Raylan at the end.
Budokan!
SpoilerShow
I'm wondering if the guy the captive named before his head was blown off will play a part in next week's finale.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#252 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:10 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:Still allowed itself some time for some great dialogue, especially between Boyd and his captive and Boyd and Raylan at the end.
I dug the Miller's Crossing reference.

flyonthewall2983

#253 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:12 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mr Sausage wrote:When did Vasquez become such a dick? I always thought he was pretty chill.
I for one never trusted Endless Mike
Ha, that's funny in light of how petulant Vasquez has been acting in these last few episodes. I think it comes from him being hellbent on finding out who killed his boss, and his frustration with Ava boiling over when she shot Boyd.

Mr Sausage

#254 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:25 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
Mr Sausage wrote:When did Vasquez become such a dick? I always thought he was pretty chill.
I for one never trusted Endless Mike
Ha, that's funny in light of how petulant Vasquez has been acting in these last few episodes. I think it comes from him being hellbent on finding out who killed his boss, and his frustration with Ava boiling over when she shot Boyd.
The less charitable side of me says it's because the show wanted some extra drama, so they altered his character to get it. Somewhat inconsistently, I think. The scene with Duffy seemed more in line with his character from the first five seasons.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#255 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:46 pm

With mere hours to go to the finale, anyone want to speculate on who doesn't leave Harlan alive? As a reminder, here's all the major characters still alive:
SpoilerShow
Raylan
Art
Tim
Rachel
That other useless marshal
Vasquez
Limehouse
Markham
Boon
Loretta
Earl
Constable Bob
Wynn Duffy (literally the only death that would upset me)
Ava
Boyd
(Kind of doubt these two are in any narrative danger but Winona and Dickie Bennett as well)

Mr Sausage

#256 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Interesting how a character like Duffy who by all rights I should consider pond scum is the character I have the most affection for.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#257 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:05 pm

Missed one
SpoilerShow
RIP Raylan's hat

kingofthejungle

#258 Post by kingofthejungle » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:28 pm

Honestly, I loved that ending. It wasn't even close to what I would have guessed, but it was...well...justified. \:D/

Polybius

#259 Post by Polybius » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:07 am

This was all really perfect, down to the last line.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#260 Post by cdnchris » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:07 am

domino harvey wrote:Missed one
SpoilerShow
RIP Raylan's hat
That was probably one of the more devastating moments.
SpoilerShow
Especially since the replacement didn't do much for him.

Mr Sausage

#261 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:34 am

It found the precise right tone to end on. There's no other cops and robbers show out there whose big show down between its hero and villain would just be two guys talking quietly to each other, or which would be so disappointing if it had been anything else.

I'll miss it, but I'm so pleased it went out on its own terms, at the height of its powers.

flyonthewall2983

#262 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:45 am

I can't think of many shows that ended this strong. All the more sad to see it gone now.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#263 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:16 am

SpoilerShow
Boon was such a great character, and there were some clever setups in prior episodes for his final showdown with Raylan:

1. That long, uncomfortable scene at the diner turned out to be just an extended introduction for another character entirely: Raylan's new hat!

2. "I prefer to go for the head. You never know if they'll be wearing Kevlar."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#264 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:29 pm

SpoilerShow
I thought it was a good finale and true to the characters. Like many, I was surprised how gentle it was with all of our central characters, but I didn't mind. I seriously thought Ava was toast, so I can't begrudge her some happiness. And Boyd's fate is maybe a little nicer than he warrants after this season's actions, but it was cute.

According to Yost's post-mortem, they wanted Dewey to be in the final Agatha Christie montage of possible Ada-aiders (since the Marshals didn't know Dewey was dead) but his schedule didn't allow. I hope there's a deleted scene of Wynn Duffy surfing in Fiji on a nine million dollar surfboard (Apparently Burns is himself an avid surfer, which is why he's always so tan)

cdnchris
Site Admin

#265 Post by cdnchris » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:48 pm

swo17 wrote:
SpoilerShow
2. "I prefer to go for the head. You never know if they'll be wearing Kevlar."
SpoilerShow
I actually wondered if he intentionally missed that one kid's head just to fuck around but after the miss (though it was a near miss) on Raylan I'm just assuming he wasn't as good as he thought he was. Loved the somewhat surprised look on his face that Raylan was able to get him, because Raylan is that awesome.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#266 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:51 pm

SpoilerShow
Don't forget that it somehow took him TWO shots to take out Loretta's elderly next-of-kin. Never read him winging Loretta's bodyguard as anything but evidence of him having better quick-draw skills than aim, which paid off as many things do on the show!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#267 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:52 pm

Oh, and since we're on the internet, the seasons, best to least-best: 5, 3, 2, 4, 6, 1

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#268 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:57 pm

That's about right, though 6 really picked up near the end. I'd probably put 2 higher as well.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#269 Post by cdnchris » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:
SpoilerShow
Don't forget that it somehow took him TWO shots to take out Loretta's elderly next-of-kin. Never read him winging Loretta's bodyguard as anything but evidence of him having better quick-draw skills than aim, which paid off as many things do on the show!
That's right, I actually forgot about that. And you're right about how things pay off in that show. That 21-foot rule thing in the last season may have been the best.
Oh, and since we're on the internet, the seasons, best to least-best: 5, 3, 2, 4, 6, 1
My wife and I would be in agreement I think, except swap 4 and 6 around.

I was shocked to see that a lot of people hated the 5th season, as I found it far more gripping than the 4th, which I felt was fairly aimless and didn't get really good until the last few episodes.

John Cope

#270 Post by John Cope » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:20 pm

I adore the show and think it's one of the best written, most undervalued series on TV maybe ever. Having said that, I don't get cable and so I generally watch the season sets months later and therefore can't rate the new one yet. But otherwise I would place the rest firmly like this:

Best: 2-4
Next best: 5
Least best: 1

And for me that first season is weakest only comparatively and only in the sense that, given the way each season of the show is structured, it always takes awhile to "get going" and usually thus relies on spill over from narratives from previous seasons to propel it along. The first one obviously didn't have that and feels pretty wayward to start. After the third or fourth episode though it takes off and never really slows down again. I like the fifth season a lot but not as much as 2-4 which for me just seem virtually perfect (especially 3).

flyonthewall2983

#271 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:24 pm

2, 3, 4, 6, 5, 1.

Mr Sausage

#272 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:43 pm

domino harvey wrote:Oh, and since we're on the internet, the seasons, best to least-best: 5, 3, 2, 4, 6, 1
As with everything Justified, I'm in complete agreement with you. I feel a little bad putting 6 so low, just because while a lot of it was wayward, it more than delivered at the most crucial moments, including the most crucial, the final scene. It feels more satisfying at the moment than it probably would if I considered it in toto.

Season 5, still the best season, had what is I think Justified's best ever single episode: episode 5, Shot all to Hell. Just the arc it took Boyd through, from chilling and expertly manipulating all the circumstances in his favour, to screaming wildly over having lost it all. Unbelievable.

jbeall

#273 Post by jbeall » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:13 pm

I'll go with 2, 3, 5, 4, 6, 1. However, the distance between 2 and 6 < the distance between 6 and 1.
SpoilerShow
Anybody else get the feeling that Boyd has only taken up preaching again in order to keep himself entertained? He seems to be enjoying it quite a bit more than when he was doing it earlier in the series, perhaps because there's nothing at stake anymore.

Mr Sausage

#274 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:28 am

SpoilerShow
Yeah, I don't think Boyd is a believer. I think he lost most of his delusions a long time ago. I still remember that superb car ride from season 1 when Raylen asks him if he actually believed anything he was preaching, and Boyd said, honestly and wearily, "I've been asking myself that same thing." I think he likes the control, likes being able to talk and hold an audience, and likes what it does for his image, but I don't think he's rediscovered religion all over again.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#275 Post by tenia » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:33 am

SpoilerShow
To me, the show always pointed as Boyd's faith only being a useful trick to speak well and to get himself some kind of wise standing, nothing deeper or really honest.