It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Saturday Night Live
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:21 am 

Brian C wrote:
There were a couple others, like the "Black Jeopardy" with Tom Hanks or Scarlett Johansson's Trump-supporting dog. Both of those probably pointed to a more productive satirical direction that trying to spoof Trump or his administration directly.

I also liked Cecily Strong's Cathy Anne character on Update.

That Strong character, for whatever reason, felt a lot more like punching down than someone like Girl... at a Party, who also just felt a lot more realistic and amusing in general. It was clear why they might've needed to retire that one since it was done to death, but didn't think Cathy Anne was a worthy replacement. In general, Weekend Update felt like the weakest aspect of the show (they either need to just give it to Che or blow the whole thing up again, the set even looks awful).

It's just hard to buy into any sort of chemistry between Che and Jost, and particularly after Meyers did it incredibly smoothly (particularly when it came to working with the characters) it's frustrating in its current state. Something tells me though that with our current political climate and the fact that they were delivering stale Trump one-liners on a weekly basis, Jost and Che are being rounded up to brilliant (I think I even saw an ad for MSNBC where Chris Matthews is interviewing the two of them and buttering them up about how ingenious they are). It's hard not to miss an era where the concept of Weekend Update was a buffoonish news anchor type (or types) instead of just trying to ape the now very tired Daily Show formula.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:15 pm 

I guess I disagree about Cathy Anne "punching down". Punching down at whom, exactly? She got some of the show's best barbs in at Trump, I thought.

I liked the Girl at the Party in concept, but Strong never quite pulled it off. Too much focus on malapropisms, which was unnecessary given how target-rich for satire the lefty PC environment is. Still, she scored a few times - for example, when she insisted out of the blue that Che wink at her, only to derisively respond, "Congratulations, you just committed assault."

I agree that it's tough to know where to go with Update in general, though. The "Daily Show" format is played out to a large degree, you're right, but I think the buffoonish anchor routine is also, especially in the post-Colbert Report era. Hell, even The Colbert Report had gotten pretty tired after about a year, I thought, but goofy news anchors in general have been a cliche since ... well hell, SNL obviously was doing it over 40 years ago so we'll go with that. I never thought that Meyers was any better than OK in the role, and it's weird to say that you liked him since he was just doing a straight-up Daily Show clone to a larger degree than any other Update host has.

As far as Che and Jost go, I like them fine, and I do buy the chemistry between them. I've thought maybe they should play up the tension between them more than they do - they hint at that direction from time to time, but haven't really developed it. Jost's bland white guy especially seems ripe to lampoon - make the fact that a bland white guy has the chair part of the joke - but they only tease that angle on occasion even though it always works. I think a big part of the problem is that SNL just doesn't seem to have the stomach for legitimate social commentary beyond a few small and mostly mild helpings now and again.

While I'm on the subject, I'm going to miss Vanessa Bayer. I always thought she was a very underrated performer with a lot of range, and she leaves a big hole for the show to fill.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:21 pm 

I wasn't incredibly pleased with Meyers, I just thought he made the whole thing go down a lot more smoothly than Jost and Che do, because he was one guy with an excellent delivery and ability to riff with the characters that'd come on, rather than two guys with clunky deliveries who are not so good at riffing with characters. The whole thing feels oddly bloated and compromised, where at least Meyers was doing the whole Daily Show thing well (and he and Poehler had excellent chemistry when they were a duo). No one will ever top Norm, but they don't even seem to be trying to get back to that peak anymore, so I'll take what I can get if someone is at least doing the job they've been asked to do efficiently and with some spontaneity that isn't just breaking because a line was flubbed.

Brian C wrote:
While I'm on the subject, I'm going to miss Vanessa Bayer. I always thought she was a very underrated performer with a lot of range, and she leaves a big hole for the show to fill.

Amen. With McKinnon sucking up much of the oxygen in this era of the show, and Wiig in the previous era that Bayer's stint overlapped with, she never really got the accolades she deserved. Going to miss Jacob the Bar Mitzvah boy, a classic instance of something that's pretty specific to NYC that is funny no matter where the viewer is from or what their experiences are. She had a real penchant for nailing the mannerisms of children - any time she did a Disney/Nickelodeon actor of some kind it was always really, really funny.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:40 pm 

mfunk9786 wrote:
... need to just give it to Che...

I'm surprised the default decision is to hand it all over to Che. I don't mind Che, but he still has trouble delivering his lines and any improvement he's made over the past few seasons has been mild.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:29 pm 

I don’t know what his version of Weekend Update looks like, though. He seems like he’d at least be more interesting if he were doing it solo and it had his voice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:51 pm 

I'm in the boat with mfunk here. The season was scattered although it had great bits in between. Said moments involved Alec Bladwin parodying Donald Trump, (Although Trump IS a living joke in my opinion). I believe very much that some of SNL's success has come from their wanton disregard for not pissing off Trump. And I, like many other liberals lapped up Baldwin's performance because we sorely wanted a Trump on screen that was a caricature. I stand by my hypothesis here. People came for sport and SNL delivered every time in that regard. Whether it was good or not really doesn't matter. It got it's ratings and attention. The Emmy Nominations? Just an extra bonus.

But the rest of the skits? Nowhere near the level of quality. I can remember only a few like one involving The Rock and some fake medication that gave way to a sensible chuckle from me. The others? Occasionally okay. Occasionally bad. Occasionally cringe-worthy.

Post subject: Saturday Night Live
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:32 pm 

Ryan Gosling plays a generic criterion forum member on the papyrus sketch from last nights SNL. Clearly they're spying on the forum, (I know what they did!)

https://youtu.be/jVhlJNJopOQ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:55 pm 

Chance the Rapper is apparently hosting on November 18, with Eminem as the musical guest. There's got to be a performance with both of them in there somewhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6