House of Cards (US)

Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: House Of Cards (US)

#26 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:38 pm

So, like everyone's said, this is an enormously watchable series, and I sped through the whole thing in two days, but I ended up being a little disappointed in the direction it ended up taking in the last couple episodes
Season 1Show
Part of the great menace and cynicism of the series seemed bound by Frank Underwood's ability to get what he wants through non-violent manipulation. But by actually murdering Russo, the series ironically lost its edge and became an "all bets are off" drama, of which there are already too many. Underwood was far more dangerous when I knew he couldn't actually physically harm anyone, now he's just basically a common thug. And even if that's the point, it's a lame point. How much more interesting the show is when Underwood gets caught deeper and deeper and digs his way out regardless
That said, Keven Spacey, Robin Wright, and Kate Mara all give great performances and their characters are fabulously complex bordering on sociopathic! I have my reservations going forward, but I'm sure even at half-steam this will remain entertaining distraction enough (especially since half the fun of being in Baltimore is playing "Spot the shooting location"-- the crew was, in fact, shooting fifty feet from my house just a couple weeks ago)

Two pressing questions: Does anyone know what the reasoning was behind this being shot in 2:1? And why does Carl Franklin have such a hard-on for shooting Robin Wright paused in profile?

flyonthewall2983

#27 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:07 pm

All of Fincher's feature films have been shot in widescreen and I suppose he wanted to keep that trademark of his work going into this. I was excited when I saw the trailer that it was in that AR.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:09 pm

But 2:1 is a bizarre ratio outside of Universal in the mid-50s and Storaro, there's got to be more to it than that he wanted a widescreen ratio (I mean, 1.78 is widescreen), unless the idea is to be the first TV series (to my knowledge) with an AR wider than HDTV?

flyonthewall2983

#29 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Keep in mind this was done for Netflix, which maybe had a hand in the decision for them to shoot in that aspect ratio as a way of separating themselves from traditional television which lately has adopted 1.78 as the standard.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#30 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Keep in mind this only aired on Netflix, so there is literally no way of ever knowing what the originally intended aspect ratio was.

R0lf

#31 Post by R0lf » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:56 am

domino harvey wrote:Now he's just basically a common thug. And even if that's the point, it's a lame point.
I think the point was that his behavior is a throwback to his military service which still informs his actions and will gradually become part of a wider arc?
Last edited by R0lf on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

kieslowski

#32 Post by kieslowski » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:58 am

domino harvey wrote:But 2:1 is a bizarre ratio outside of Universal in the mid-50s and Storaro, there's got to be more to it than that he wanted a widescreen ratio (I mean, 1.78 is widescreen), unless the idea is to be the first TV series (to my knowledge) with an AR wider than HDTV?
For reasons I never quite understood, the excellent Danish TV series Borgen has an aspect ratio of 2.20:1.

Murdoch

#33 Post by Murdoch » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:42 am

R0lf wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Now he's just basically a common thug. And even if that's the point, it's a lame point.
I think the point was that his behavior is a throwback to his military service which still informs his actions and will gradually become part of a wider arc?
Spoilers for UK series and the first two seasons of the US series below
SpoilerShow
The military component certainly plays a part in the final bit of the English series, but throughout the original Francis is a bit of a thug. He has the same cunning manipulative persona of his American counterpart, but his detours into homicide take on a rather ridiculous tone. Not only does he throw the young reporter/mistress off of a government building and play it off as suicide, but he puts rat poison in an addicted campaign manager's cocaine stash and kills not one but two people with car bombings! Thankfully the US series thus far toned down these violent tendencies, and I'm grateful Kate Mara survived the first season unlike her English counterpart.

Still, the UK series appeared much more politically motivated by its second series, becoming a denouncement of Thatcher's policies with Francis reaching the position of Prime Minister and spouting the same "poor people are just lazy" rhetoric and denouncing any form of social safety nets. It will be interesting to see if the US series follows a similar thread, where upon Francis's ascent to power he rules over the government like a murderous dictator and imposes neoconservative policies. Given the rather apolitical nature of the US version's first season - it seems more interested in the game of politics than the actual politics - I don't see this happening. Still, the UK series began with a similar focus on Francis playing the game and that gave way rather quickly by the time Francis rose to power and started spouting Thatcherisms left and right. Given the US Francis's party affiliation I think the writers are going to keep his personal politics at bay and continue the focus on his thirst for power. The burning question for me with the US version is when Francis inevitably reaches the position of President, what will he do? A similar reign of terror to his UK counterpart or something more benevolent?

flyonthewall2983

#34 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:08 pm

Murdoch wrote: Spoilers for UK series and the first two seasons of the US series below
SpoilerShow
The military component certainly plays a part in the final bit of the English series, but throughout the original Francis is a bit of a thug. He has the same cunning manipulative persona of his American counterpart, but his detours into homicide take on a rather ridiculous tone. Not only does he throw the young reporter/mistress off of a government building and play it off as suicide, but he puts rat poison in an addicted campaign manager's cocaine stash and kills not one but two people with car bombings! Thankfully the US series thus far toned down these violent tendencies, and I'm grateful Kate Mara survived the first season unlike her English counterpart.
UK series/first 2 seasons of US seriesShow
I'd think if someone made a US version of this right after the original, the Francis character counterpart would have killed the reporter, complete with her screaming "Daddy!" as she fell. Willimon said somewhere that the parallels to the original only extend to the first season, slight as they are and that the show will go it's own path from here on out.

Murdoch

#35 Post by Murdoch » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:53 pm

That's a relief. I enjoyed the original but it's very much a product of its time.

R0lf

#36 Post by R0lf » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:10 am

The first season of the US version left off halfway through the first UK series so I presume those plot points discussed will happen at the end of this season.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#37 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:35 am

flyonthewall2983

#38 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:40 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#39 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:07 pm

If Robin Wright ever tires of the series, it looks like Charlize Theron could fill the role with ease:

flyonthewall2983

#40 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:11 pm

flyonthewall2983

#41 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:35 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#43 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:54 pm

Lame that it wasn't on the Blu-rays though

flyonthewall2983

#44 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:01 pm

Can't argue with you there. Maybe once the show is done and they put together a box of all the seasons they'll be included. Or maybe they'll stay exclusive to Netflix and this time next year we'll be saying the same thing.

flyonthewall2983

#45 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:10 am

One thing about the aspect ratio, that I find cool is that if you watch it with Google Chrome and don't have it full screen is that the black bars become this fully symmetrical frame around the action.

New trailer.

Luke M

#46 Post by Luke M » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Whatever Valentine's Day plans I might have had are over now.

Oedipax

#47 Post by Oedipax » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:18 pm

Yeah, I was mixed on season 1 but that looks really good.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#48 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:04 pm

flyonthewall2983

#49 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:36 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#50 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:07 pm

They'll be posted at 3:01 AM EST FYI OK BRB