Pre-2000s Television on Blu-ray

Discuss TV shows old and new.
FrauBlucher

Re: Pre-2000s Television on Bluray

#176 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:45 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Of all the shows to get released on bluray.
I didn't mean it in a negative way. I actually enjoyed this show when it was on. I believe it was on Friday nights at 9 est. It's just a surprise to me with so many shows that have yet to be upgraded.

Black Hat

#177 Post by Black Hat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:30 pm

Rockford Files had a long run of resurgence when A&E was airing the reruns... Columbo was popular on Netflix, surprised it was pulled and there hasn't been a blu ray announcement yet.

hanshotfirst1138

#178 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:27 pm

I've pretty much given up on ever hoping for an HD version of The Outer Limits :(

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#179 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:10 pm

Good news: Kino Lorber will be putting out both original seasons on Blu-ray!
Season 1 (32 Episodes - 8 Discs) - Late 2017
Season 2 (17 Episodes - 5 Discs) - Early 2018

fdm

#180 Post by fdm » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:01 pm

That did seem almost inevitable, as part of their recent acquisitions. Good news indeed.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#181 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:06 pm

I wish someone would put out the unedited versions of the Showtime revival-- the Canadian season sets are censored. I'm pretty sure MGM put out the DVD compilations here, so I think KL would have access. Don't know if they were edited in HD though, so there may only be tape masters...

Ribs

#182 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Network will be doing a new release of The Prisoner for its 50th anniversary:
The new edition of our Blu-ray and DVD set is included in the ticket price for those attending the event, ahead of the official release date. All 17 episodes feature brand new detailed text commentaries and a wealth of newly produced special features, including the documentary feature In My Mind, unseen footage and much more.

This deluxe edition also includes an updated edition of Andrew Pixley’s definitive and highly-regarded book on the series, lavishly illustrated with rare and unpublished photographs and a newly remastered 6-CD soundtrack of the specially composed music scores by Albert Elms, Wilfred Josephs and Robert Farnon, Ron Grainer’s themes and the Chappell music library pieces altogether in one set for the first time.
I'm holding out for the unlikely notion it might look a little better (I love Network for putting out all this stuff, but if they're having another go I hope it's with a bit better an encode).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#183 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Minkin

#184 Post by Minkin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:17 pm

domino harvey wrote:Olive is releasing Flipper
Ah damn it. Of all the shows to make it to Blu. I absolutely hate Flipper, and yet my S/O loves it. I'll hopefully be able to hide this news for as long as possible.

The best review I can give the show is straight from the theme song:
Nobody you see is smarter than he

antnield

#185 Post by antnield » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:02 am

Hammer House of Horror on its way from Network.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#186 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Kino Lorber will be releasing the complete series of the Master with Lee Van Cleef on Blu-ray

Ovader

#187 Post by Ovader » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:40 am

domino harvey wrote:Good news: Kino Lorber will be putting out both original seasons on Blu-ray!
Season 1 (32 Episodes - 8 Discs) - Late 2017
Season 2 (17 Episodes - 5 Discs) - Early 2018
Tim Lucas confirmed he recorded three commentaries for the first season but he doesn't want to say what episodes until word from KINO.

matrixschmatrix

#188 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:40 pm

I thought I saw it mentioned elsewhere on here, but it doesn't seem to be here, where it's most apt- Batman: the Animated Series will be out on blu next year. Of the shows that could possibly get this treatment (ie- not Mystery Science Theater) this is in my top few most desired.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#189 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:10 pm

It's in the Warners Blu-ray thread, which is more apt (though doesn't hurt to mention it here)

FrauBlucher

#190 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:03 am

I was thinking of picking up bluray of one of the seasons of Law and Order with Jerry Orbach and Jesse L Martin as detectives. I was really surprised that there are no blurays of any Law and Order seasons. I took it for granted there was.

connor

#191 Post by connor » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:13 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:I was thinking of picking up bluray of one of the seasons of Law and Order with Jerry Orbach and Jesse L Martin as detectives. I was really surprised that there are no blurays of any Law and Order seasons. I took it for granted there was.
Yeah, I would actually love to get those on bluray. The look of those early episodes was really great. In total contrast to the 21st century episodes and their garishness.

In related news, Northern Exposure is coming to bluray in the UK. NE could be fairly precious at times but I can't deny my affection for it. And it was very beautifully shot--excellent rural northwestern exteriors.

McCrutchy

#193 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:17 pm

The 35mm test scan footage of this looks incredible. ClassicFlix uploaded a longer video to Youtube here. I can't believe that hasn't been restored, it looks absolutely pristine!

Also, $30 for 26x25-minute episodes (plus new extras) is an incredible bargain. Hopefully, the campaign is successful.

McCrutchy

#194 Post by McCrutchy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:26 pm

Regarding the Kickstarter campaign for the Blondie (1957) TV series. There has now been a second update with new unrestored footage from ClassicFlix:
Hi All,

Thanks to all who've pledged and spread the word thus far!

With 9 days to go, we have over $3,500 raised, but we'll need your help if we're going to hit the $20K goal to bring Blondie to Blu. Share it on social media, forums, via text, email, whatever you can do do make this release a reality!

Below you'll find a fresh scan of the seventh episode "Husband Once Removed". You'll notice a commercial for "Pamper" shampoo which doesn't currently have sound. Locating and syncing the sound, and adding it as bonus material is one of the goals of this campaign-- aside from having this wonderful, almost unseen series in crisp, sparkling high definition.

So share our campaign today, and Bring Blondie to Blu!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD9YbHZF_hM

The Pamper shampoo ad looks really great.

Minkin

#196 Post by Minkin » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:16 am

Of all things, WB announced they're going to release the original Johnny Quest 60s series on Blu. No idea how Scooby-Doo wasn't their top priority, but here we are with really left-field tv blu announcements lately.

Also, as expected: the Blondie Kickstarter failed, but it looks like it will be coming to DVD at least.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#197 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:01 pm

CBS will be releasing Charmed a season at a time, so expect it to be abandoned early like the other CBS Blu-ray releases

McCrutchy

#198 Post by McCrutchy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:13 pm

They're releasing MacGyver, too, which I understand they (at least partially) rebuilt, because at least the later seasons were edited on tape.

Both first season Blu-rays are up for pre-order here for October 30th, and also set for release in France in November, so unlike the vintage series they only released in the US/Canada, hopefully, these will also be released in Europe/Japan and international sales will keep the whole thing afloat, like with Star Trek: The Next Generation and Twin Peaks:

Charmed: The Complete First Season

MacGyver: The Complete First Season

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#199 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:15 pm

Legit question: do either of these shows have a fanbase to support these releases? Or are they just trying to cash in on the recent reboots of both series?

McCrutchy

#200 Post by McCrutchy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:55 pm

I'm fairly certain MacGyver does, as I think it's pretty big internationally, and in Germany (a very large Blu-ray market) at that. I think if CBS were trying to exploit the remake, they would have released that on Blu-ray first, via Lionsgate in the US (who are very friendly for TV on Blu-ray) or somewhere in the world by now. Instead, it's gone DVD only everywhere, including Europe and Japan, where it is distributed by Paramount. I'm sure the remake helped them justify the remaster of the series, though.

As for Charmed, I'm unsure as I never followed or watched any of the series, but I'll probably buy it anyway to support getting more seasons series on Blu-ray. That one does seem like it is very conveniently timed to the remake.

It's sad though, that we have to have this conversation every time an older series is remastered and announced for Blu-ray.