It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: WWE Network
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:15 pm 

The feed for everything on the WWE Network was perfect. Loved the Hall of Fame last night and Wrestlemania today was pretty good except for Undertaker losing to Lesnar. I don't mind Taker losing the streak, is just that it bugs me that he lost it to an ungrateful prick who hates the business, works part time and only does it for the money. Vince and Taker should have put someone else over like Roman Reigns, Daniel Bryan or even CM Punk in that spot instead of Lesnar.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:18 am 

It definitely should have been a pass-the-torch moment, but I think it's less about Brock and more that Undertaker is clearly not the performer he once was and that this would have been his last year regardless. It was an amazing moment I soon won't forget. Up and down it was a perfect show, and the best Mania I've seen in 17 years.

And aside from some sound issues in the pre-show, the feed was immaculate all the way through. It's the best I could have hoped for as I think WWE Network is a worthy enough venture for a show as great as this one was be it's real launching pad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:56 am 

I woke up to the news of the Ultimate Warrior's shocking death this morning. Can't believe it, especially after the wonderful weekend that just happened for him and his family over at Wrestlemania 30. I'm shocked and saddened for the wife and daughters he leaves behind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:53 pm 

Legends House was, to my amazement, pretty good.

The "Warrior Week" specials they have been doing are quite good too, last night's especially. I am of mixed emotions because despite his unsavory reputation, it really seemed that for that weekend he was humbled by the experience and buried a lot of hatchets (most notably with Hogan). It makes his death all the more sad because it could have planted the seeds for someone who sought more forgiveness for past behavior.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:22 pm 

They've added every WCW Clash of the Champions. So there goes my free time for a while.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:55 pm 

Those were great. First one I watched when they went up was the 20th edition which was my first real exposure to WCW. Back then the cable company didn't carry their PPV's (they wouldn't on a regular basis until 1996), so they were kind of equivalent to the WWF PPV's we would get (after much parental pleading).

What they are putting up content-wise is great, but how they're doing it I'm less than impressed with. Like with the Clash's they just put them up all at once or more sporadically like others, when they could be doing it 2-3 times a week, or even every day. They have such an expansive library of stuff, that doing it that way would seem to be the better option to me.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:23 pm 

Their stock went up today to nearly 20 dollars a share, because of the possible announcement tomorrow that WWE has renewed their deal with Comcast/NBCU. Smart for both companies involved, WWE would have a hard time finding a place to go and Raw is basically the flagship program for the USA Network.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:33 pm 

And it's official

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:46 pm 

Vince loses 357 million in one day personally, one third of his fortune. Ouch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:04 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm 

Last night was a preview of the new Monday Night Wars series which debuts next month. Besides some interesting archival footage and Keith David's narration, it was just more white-washing by WWE of their legacy and Vince McMahon playing the victim to some of WCW's dirty tricks when in fact he'd done them himself a decade before and squashed an entire national industry by the dawn of the 90's.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:59 am 

Ugh. I'd rather they just get around to adding Nitro to the network so we can watch the damn shows.

And for perverse comedic reasons, Thunder.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:38 am 

WCW Monday Nitro finally hits the network next week, to which I say about freaking time. It was nice having Raw from day one, but waiting that long for Nitro was just ridiculous (I know, it's their big hook now that it's renewal time for the earliest subscribers, but still).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:56 pm 

Episodes are going up right now, actually. https://twitter.com/WWE_Network_Bot posts whenever new content is uploaded. For some weird reason the only place you can find these episodes is this account as they aren't available to find if you search on the website or other platforms.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:02 pm 

It's free for the month of November, and starting next month they are doing away with the 6-month commitment. Quite obvious this was made in light of the fact that they barely hit a million customers (they initially projected a much bigger number by now) domestically and only around 30 thousand internationally (though they did just open up in the UK).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:52 pm 

Given how bad their recent programming has been (ahem, Bray Wyatt's lamp having a genie in it at the last PPV, ugh), this whole free month reeks of desperation. They know nobody would pay for this garbage. If they were smart they'd do some in-depth previews of the classic programming on the Network. Some ten minute video packages showing off NWA, World Class, ECW, even the really early WCW (they went off the rails so fast it's kind of amazing) played during Raw and Smackdown would do a lot of good. They have done some very minor promotion of NXT (the only current show that's any good) on Raw but more would help too.

Longer run they need to can the writing staff and go back to old style booking (you two have ten minutes, go figure it out, no script!) to salvage their flagship cable programming.

It is amazing to me that Vince McMahon was smart enough to jump on streaming services and yet isn't smart enough to properly advertise it. It's like the dying days of WCW - we have a big show next week, but we don't know what day or what the matches are!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:57 pm 

There's virtually no way they could go back to the old style of booking because it's all anybody on their roster knows. It's not that they have a writing staff that's the problem, it's who they hire. Vince is more interested in getting TV writers than utilizing some of the people they already employ but use in different capacities. If WrestleMania was any indication however, if the company is ever in the hands of Vince's daughter and son-in-law, they could turn a corner. That was a great show, and from what I understand, Paul Levesque (Triple H) was pretty much behind most if not all of the booking decisions.

The problems with the Network shouldn't be that surprising in light of that. It shows in the broadest sense how unconnected Vince is with his audience. For example, Total Divas does barely well enough to stay on E!, and it costs quite a bit to produce. But they keep it running because it looks good on their corporate portfolio. Their original programming besides the actual wrestling is all seemingly about Vince trying to establish this somewhat skewed legacy of himself as this titan (no pun intended) of business and entertainment.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:45 pm 

I just find it appalling that their shows now have literal scripts, with everything written out to the minute detail. To borrow a line from Jim Cornette, I miss the days when a script was a one-sided sheet with a list of segments. Performers need to be able to plan and think for themselves, because having everything decided by a small group of writers results in every performer seeming the same. It's dreadfully boring.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:21 pm 

To steer this back to the Network a little, I wonder what if any mistakes HBO are learning from what's happened here since they are about to launch their own OTT app. I suppose the difference is that there was a demand for something like this from HBO, where interest in anything like it from WWE they had to create themselves by making those huge promises they did when they first announced it. From the time they went public there was always rumblings of them getting their own network, and that was probably the best time they could have done it. Instead, we got the XFL.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:20 pm 

CM Punk did an episode of Colt Cabana's podcast yesterday spilling the beans on why he either quit/was fired from WWE (depending on who you believe). Quite honestly this doesn't make anyone good, Punk included but it gives you a good idea of how dysfunctional the company is being run or at least was while he was still employed. He does bring up questioning them on how they'll get paid once the Network launches.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:48 am 

The response from fans to last night's Royal Rumble has quickly made national attention, and epitomized by Twitter with #CancelWWENetwork being a popular trend ever since last night.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:08 am 

Aside from the astonishing, five-star Brock/Cena/Rollins three way, the Rumble was a complete boondoggle, and it was but the latest in a series of horrible shows that just won't seem to end. It was probably the overall worst Rumble show and undoubtedly the worst Rumble match. And coming on the heels of last month's TLC, which is one of the worst wrestling shows of all times (it reminded me eerily of December to Dismember, which had been my prior pick for worst WWE show ever), it was just disastrous.

Nothing will ever truly be as bad as WCW was (it's impossible), but WWE is currently in their closest equivalent to that last sad, ruinous year 2000-2001. Inexplicably awful booking that intentionally defies the fan preferences and a shallow roster with everyone booked as losers. It's amazing that this is even possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:34 am 

I only watched because I still enjoy the Rumble match itself. Which I maintain was pretty okay until the ending, which was pretty awful. Vince's tired cliches of giant heels and villainous foreigners was bad enough, but to have The Rock (who should probably just call it a day with WWE now) basically save the show for what amounted to a short cheap pop followed by the deafening sound of the Philly crowd was pretty much icing on the cake.

I didn't cancel my subscription, but honestly I'd have good enough reason besides not caring about the current product. The old content (which is the major draw for me) they are putting up is of little interest to me, and the interface is rather substandard and slow to load sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:37 pm 

So WrestleMania is coming up quickly and it seems the problems that plagued the company in regard to it's audience in Philadelphia have only gotten worse. The event is being held in San Francisco, and the local media is not shy about pointing out their identity crisis. Top that off with this lovely bit of news and the fact that their Monday night ratings are going down, things aren't looking too peachy for them right now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:42 am 

Jerry Springer and Seth Green lending their hands to new shows airing this year. On the upside, more than a thousand hours of old wrestling content will be made available too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next