Non-US Blu-ray Releases of TV Series

Discuss TV shows old and new.
phelings

Re: Non-US Blu-ray Releases of TV Series

#26 Post by phelings » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:23 pm

UK series Hustle is not out on Bluray in the UK or US.
But season 8 - the final season is out on Bluray in Germany.
Might not be too important for US viewers but UK viewers should note that the episodes on the Bluray are the international versions running up to 10 minutes less per episode at just over 50 minutes instead of the 59 minutes in the UK and that's at 25p- so for completeness the UK dvd remains the best option

phelings

#27 Post by phelings » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:26 pm

The Invisible Man release mentioned in the list - is this the 1975 McCallum series or the much later show?
Is the longer version of the pilot just the standard one we have on the US set?

JamesF

#28 Post by JamesF » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:35 am

JamesF wrote:
Ashirg wrote:Rectify Season 2 is on blu in Australia. Only DVD release is coming in June in US.
I asked eOne whether they intend to release Season 3 on Blu-Ray, and sadly they don't. Shame, as their releases of seasons 1 and 2 were great. Fingers crossed the French oblige and their release doesn't have forced subs!
Over a year later, I'm happy to say that the Netherlands has come to Rectify fans' rescue with Blu-Ray releases of season 3 (out now) and 4 (out in August). Neither have the bonus features from the US DVDs, unfortunately, but those are mostly puff pieces, so worth losing in the trade-off to get Blu-Ray versions. I got season 3 yesterday and A/V is very good.

McCrutchy

#29 Post by McCrutchy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:35 pm

Paramount Germany (via Universal) are releasing the first five seasons of NCIS as an Amazon.de Exclusive on 18 January 2018. It's a 29-disc set for the relatively bargain price of €99,99 (€84,03 without VAT). The only other release of NCIS was a US/Australia Blu-ray of The Twelfth Season. I'm finally going to start watching the show on Blu-ray, after it has yet again been named the most watched drama...in the world.

Amusingly, when that Season 12 Blu-ray was released back in 2015, I resolved to start watching the show, as I don't mind these sorts of highly digestible crime drama series (like Law & Order), so I went to eBay looking for a Season 1-11 DVD bundle. There I found one, for a reasonable price of $111, from a reliable seller in the US, using a stock photo, but registering under the correct UPC (there are loads of DVD configurations for this show in the USA). What I received were eleven individually wrapped slipbox seasons with slimline DVD cases. I popped in the first disc of the first season, and the menus loaded and I selected the first episode. As I often do, I went to check the subtitles with my remote, when, to my surprise, Chinese subtitles appeared, and even though English subtitles were also available, neither were listed in the menus, and I grew concerned. I looked further into the menus and the audio commentary on the pilot, which was listed on the box and in the menus, was not present. A check of the discs in my PC confirmed that all six discs were DVD-5 bootlegs, with suspicious mint marks on the data sides, and a closer look at the packaging revealed it was a not-that-obvious color facsimile, right down to the cardboard slipbox.

The next thing I went to do was to check then then-newest Eleventh Season set. I was totally stunned to find it was an even better bootleg, with all the correct subtitles, extras and audio commentaries in the right places, but still on DVD-5 media, and with suspicious mint marks. I fully believe 9 out of 10 people would have been fooled by these discs, and I would never have known had the first season not erroneously featured Chinese and English subtitles (the legitimate R1 DVD of The First Season has no subtitling). For both seasons, everything had been reproduced in minute detail, including disc art, barcodes and copyright information. The discs did not look like DVD-R media, and as I recall, were not read as DVD-R by my computer, either

Of course, I did what I could, and got in touch with CBS/Paramount. Long story short, these people did not care, even though this seller was selling several of these bundles that were high-quality bootlegs. And not helping matters is that the eBay e-mails I saved do not contain the member name of the seller (since they never had to message me), so I have no idea if the account was ever terminated. But even now, there are listings for that bundle on eBay for shockingly low prices, and I would have to guess these are fakes.

Of course, I bought the Season 12 Blu-ray on release day, and eventually, I did buy the legitimate (I hope) DVD sets from Best Buy after I was refunded, but I still haven't found the time to watch them yet. Now, I'm going to end up waiting for the Blu-ray editions from Germany! Maybe the third time is the charm, here?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#30 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:51 pm

The first two seasons of the Good Place have been/will be released in the UK on Blu while being DVD-only in the states

Boosmahn

#31 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:21 pm

Does anyone know if the German Blu-ray releases of Masters of Horror are uncut? bloody-disgusting.com says so but a review on amazon.de (in German, so the translation could be wrong) suggests otherwise.

solaris72

#32 Post by solaris72 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:31 am

The first season of the British series THE HOLLOW CROWN was DVD only in the states but on blu in the UK.

jazzo

#33 Post by jazzo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:31 am

The first season of Channel 4's astonishing UTOPIA was also a region-free blu-ray. The second (and final) season was, sadly, a b-locked DVD only, though.

The the same thing happened with Shane Meadows' THIS IS ENGLAND television series. This is England '86 and '88 were region-free blu-rays, but the final series ('90) was region-locked. None were released in any region A format.

The Curious Sofa

#34 Post by The Curious Sofa » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:01 am

Seasons 1 & 2 of For All Mankind, my favourite science fiction series of the 21st century, have been released on Blu-ray in the UK. Hopefully season 3 will get a release too.

senseabove

#35 Post by senseabove » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:36 am

JamesF wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:35 am
Over a year later, I'm happy to say that the Netherlands has come to Rectify fans' rescue with Blu-Ray releases of season 3 (out now) and 4 (out in August). Neither have the bonus features from the US DVDs, unfortunately, but those are mostly puff pieces, so worth losing in the trade-off to get Blu-Ray versions. I got season 3 yesterday and A/V is very good.
Anyone know another source for these? There’s a third party seller at this link for S3 that won’t ship to the US, S4 is out of stock, and eBay isn’t turning anything up current or sold…