Discuss TV shows old and new.
flyonthewall2983

Re: Breaking Bad (Spoilers within)

#1 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:34 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Has a lot of potential-- Odenkirk remains one of the few bright spots on this series for a curmudgeon like me (Walt Jr's star-struck reaction to Saul was maybe the only thing I really cared for in the last episode). I could see it being a fun episodic series like the Practice minus the self-importance and personal ethics

warren oates

#3 Post by warren oates » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:15 pm

Well, I was kind of hoping for a more of a half hour comedy version of this, about the random guys in Saul's waiting room, all the low-level players he deals with in between Walter White types. Still, I'm sure I'm not alone in loving the character and I'll surely be there from the first episode.

Edit: I've been hoping that if this didn't happen, somebody would have the good sense to preserve Saul's office set. I feel like it belongs in the Smithsonian or something. Glad to see it will be getting a little more mileage.
Last edited by warren oates on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyonthewall2983

#4 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:43 pm

warren oates wrote:Edit: I've been hoping that if this didn't happen, somebody would have the good sense to preserve Saul's office set. I feel like it belongs in the Smithsonian or something. Glad to see it will be getting a little more mileage.
I heard that, in the long line of rumors about this show, was that it would be set in Las Vegas. I hope that happens.

If anything, they should preserve The Crystal Ship.

Professor Wagstaff

#5 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Looking forward to the episode where he picks up a woman by pretending to be Kevin Costner.

flyonthewall2983

#6 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm looking forward to possibly seeing Mike again.

warren oates

#7 Post by warren oates » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Better Call Saul open to Cranston and Paul cameos. Which argues in favor of it not being too long ago a prequel, like the rumors that it might take place in Vegas. Of course, naturally, the best part of this news is that it probably means more Huell.

And, flyonthewall, even though I'm pretty sure Hopkins didn't mean it this way, "awesome" only counts if its not so afterthoughtishly tacked on to everyone but the name actors: "You're all awesome -- camera, production design, post, catering, teamsters, writers." I get that it was a private fan letter to Cranston focusing on the acting. But an actor of Hopkins' experience and stature shouldn't seem at all surprised about the mystery of how Cranston created and sustained such an indelible character: He did it hand in hand with the writers. Which is why it's no surprise that Breaking Bad is full of such career-defining performances -- for me Odenkirk and Esposito especially.

flyonthewall2983

#9 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:47 pm

Good. I would imagine Esposito joining won't be far behind.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#11 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Also, Vince Gilligan has been hired as co-showrunner. Something tells me all's not well in Better Call Saul-land.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:34 pm

Why would something not be well if they've already doubled the pickup?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#13 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:28 pm

This is just an assumption on my part, though I'm not alone, but hiring Gilligan and delaying the show seems like an indicator that the initial work being done on the show wasn't quite up to par, and AMC agreed to renew the show if Gilligan directed the pilot and clean things up a bit. I suppose we'll never know the truth unless there are leaks or there's some oral history years from now, but I don't know why Vince Gilligan would suddenly need to share show-running duties unless this were, to use a comparison, a Pixar (Ratatouille being the primary example) situation, where they decide midstream that the first-time director they've chosen to helm a project is going to need some help, if not outright replacement.

The good news in all of this, of course, is that adding Gilligan almost assures that the quality of the show will increase regardless of how high that already was, so I'm more excited for Better Call Saul than I was before.

flyonthewall2983

#14 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:59 pm

Maybe it's his CBS thing that's running into trouble and he's just decided to split his duties?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#15 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:13 pm

He wasn't initially running either show, just executive producing. There's a big difference, or J.J. Abrams would've already died of exhaustion.

Roger Ryan

#16 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:17 am

Hmm - two weeks ago, Gilligan was quoted as having some doubts about doing the spin-off. The older story notes that the series started shooting June 2nd. Were they, indeed, shooting the pilot first? If so, Gilligan being hired to "direct the pilot episode" two weeks later does seem to indicate the initial footage was deemed unsatisfactory.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Better Call Saul

#19 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:19 pm

flyonthewall2983

#20 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:42 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#21 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:20 pm

Is anyone actually watching this?

flyonthewall2983

#22 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:26 pm

I finished the 2nd episode this morning. I'd say it's off to a good start, Odenkirk is proving quite capable holding something together on his own and is mixing well with this cast.

Feiereisel

#23 Post by Feiereisel » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:45 pm

I am too. I think it's an easy recommendation, and if you're an Odenkirk fan, it's a must. It's more of a simmer than a boil compared to Breaking Bad, which I find very agreeable; it suits the reminiscent, maudlin tone established in the series' first scene.

The second episode really sold me on it, and I'm curious to see how it proceeds. I hope Gilligan and Gould avoid Walt and Jesse altogether, though. Not that they couldn't pull it off, but just let it be its own thing, you know?

Red Screamer

#24 Post by Red Screamer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:20 pm

I just finished the pilot and I'm not very impressed. I had hoped the show would be more comedic in nature, but it seems to be more of a gentler riff on Breaking Bad. It only has one direct callback at the very beginning (which is actually pretty clever), but the rest still seems to rely too heavily on the formula of the original, and it looks like it won't stray too far from the path:
SpoilerShow
Upstanding guy gets into illegal activities because he's low on cash, and needs to pay medical bills/take care of family member(s). Also in play is a hugely successful business that mistreats one of its co-founders. I rolled my eyes when the credits came, the effect of the cliffhanger ending is totally gone
The visual style is similar as well, but lacked the flair I expect when Gillian directs. Worst of all, Odenkirk isn't given a whole lot to do, but he still adds some spark to the proceedings. I'll see how the second episode goes (especially since it's directed by Michelle MacLaren) but the pilot seems pretty content on being derivative

cdnchris
Site Admin

#25 Post by cdnchris » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:11 pm

The second episode has me. The pilot was ok, had me iffy at the end because of how they handled the reveal of a returning Breaking Bad character and I had a fear that maybe every episode would end up resorting to things like that, but after the second one I think i'm in it for the haul. The second one starts developing its own rhythm and it made use of that Breaking Bad character in an interesting way. It will obviously still cling to things from that world but I think it can find its own footing.