Cooking Shows

Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Official Criterion Forum Food Thread

#1 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:18 pm

The New York Times gives rare ZERO star review to Guy Fieri's Times Square Restaurant, publishes hilariously bitchy review

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Cooking Shows

#2 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:14 pm

How Guy Fieri Ruined the Food Network -- regardless of one's take on the article, I think we can all agree that calling Sandra Lee a "soul terrorist" is the greatest journalistic achievement of the year

movielocke

Re: TV of 2014

#3 Post by movielocke » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:How Guy Fieri Ruined the Food Network -- regardless of one's take on the article, I think we can all agree that calling Sandra Lee a "soul terrorist" is the greatest journalistic achievement of the year
This might be the greatest thing ever

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Cooking Shows

#4 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:49 pm

Guy Fieri has been captured sans Smash Mouth styling. I am spoilering this because you need to prepare yourself before looking directly at it
SpoilerShow

cdnchris
Site Admin

#5 Post by cdnchris » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:02 pm

My wife asks: is that for real?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:04 pm

SpoilerShow

Sadly, no

Minkin

#7 Post by Minkin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:36 pm

I'm assuming we can talk about non-Guy Fieri topics here (now that Dom has been fooled by the idea that the 90s would ever die in one man). Anyway,

Does anyone else watch New Scandinavian Cooking? Its a great show - which mixes travelogue with hilariously impractical dishes - all cooked outside (usually in rain or with ingredients blowing away - once, the host lost all of his food by a sudden draft). The food is usually disgusting (I can't stomach seafood, environmentally or palate-wise), and you'd be hard pressed to find any of the ingredients (usually just whatever they find growing in a forest/field - in one case, its stinging nettles. You can cook with those? The same thing that will give you a poison-ivy rash can be digested?)-despite their constant repetitions of "find all our recipes online, try it yourself". The show branches between four different hosts (trading off each season usually) - covering the four Nordic countries (Iceland & Samiland are absent). It's a great show, and I think even the non-culinary members here can enjoy it as well.

Andre Jurieu

#8 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:27 pm

How did all our mildly inappropriate comments about Giada avoid being thrown into this thread?

Zot!

#9 Post by Zot! » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Minkin wrote: Does anyone else watch New Scandinavian Cooking? Its a great show - which mixes travelogue with hilariously impractical dishes - all cooked outside (usually in rain or with ingredients blowing away - once, the host lost all of his food by a sudden draft). The food is usually disgusting (I can't stomach seafood, environmentally or palate-wise), and you'd be hard pressed to find any of the ingredients (usually just whatever they find growing in a forest/field - in one case, its stinging nettles. You can cook with those? The same thing that will give you a poison-ivy rash can be digested?)-despite their constant repetitions of "find all our recipes online, try it yourself". The show branches between four different hosts (trading off each season usually) - covering the four Nordic countries (Iceland & Samiland are absent). It's a great show, and I think even the non-culinary members here can enjoy it as well.
Yeah, great show, but some of the chefs blow. I stopped watching when Tina Nordstrom quit, but I guess she's back. Her and the Danish guy are the worthwhile ones. I had no idea this still existed.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#10 Post by lacritfan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:58 pm

Zot! wrote:
Minkin wrote: Does anyone else watch New Scandinavian Cooking? Its a great show - which mixes travelogue with hilariously impractical dishes - all cooked outside (usually in rain or with ingredients blowing away - once, the host lost all of his food by a sudden draft). The food is usually disgusting (I can't stomach seafood, environmentally or palate-wise), and you'd be hard pressed to find any of the ingredients (usually just whatever they find growing in a forest/field - in one case, its stinging nettles. You can cook with those? The same thing that will give you a poison-ivy rash can be digested?)-despite their constant repetitions of "find all our recipes online, try it yourself". The show branches between four different hosts (trading off each season usually) - covering the four Nordic countries (Iceland & Samiland are absent). It's a great show, and I think even the non-culinary members here can enjoy it as well.
Yeah, great show, but some of the chefs blow. I stopped watching when Tina Nordstrom quit, but I guess she's back. Her and the Danish guy are the worthwhile ones. I had no idea this still existed.
I'm a fan as well. I tend to like Andreas Viestad (and yes the episode where he's sitting at the edge of a cliff and his plate blows away is hilarious). My favorite Tina Nordstrom moment at around 2:10 - mm, it's reewy reewy good!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:35 am

http://vimeo.com/179456952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:54 pm

I am obsessed with the Gourmet Makes series from Bon Appetit in which Claire Saffitz, a pastry chef and BA editor, remakes snack foods in homemade gourmet versions. The best part is other than doing some rudimentary internet research, most of each episode is a process of trial and error and it's the kind of thing we rarely see in cooking programs: the process to getting something right. The foods range from the expected (Oreos, Cheetoes, Twinkies) to more specialized (Gushers, Skittles, Twizzlers, Lucky Charms). Things I wouldn't have pegged as being the most difficult component often are-- in Lucky Charms, for instance, the cereal is the hard part, not the colored marshmallows.

In honor of that weird pumpkin ad that keeps popping up on this forum, here's the one for Kit Kats, and you can find the other seven episodes in the sidebar. Saffitz recently left BA to open a bakery, so there won't be any more episodes, unfortunately. Also there are a disturbing amount of YT commenters who "ship" the host and one of the other BA employees based on their flirty exchanges!

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#14 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:33 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:54 pm
In honor of that weird pumpkin ad that keeps popping up on this forum
Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one seeing that!

LightningP38

#15 Post by LightningP38 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:56 pm

"despite being a grown man with a penchant for Billabong clothing" has to be one of the best sentences I've ever read in a TV review article!

Anyways, regarding TV cooking shows, has anyone watched Two Greedy Italians and Jamie's Italy, featuring for the former Italian chefs Gennaro Contaldo and Antonio Carluccio, and for the latter, Gennaro Contaldo and Jamie Oliver? (Little note : Carluccio taught Contaldo how to cook, who then taught it to Jamie Oliver).
These were absolutely great, a both entertaining and interesting watch from the first to the last second, and leave you with a feeling that you've traveled through Italy with your grandfather... yes, even if your grandfather is Polish or Japanese. Both revolve around two chefs traveling through this country and learning how to do regional recipes with the locals and going through folk events in the little towns they visit, and it's the TV equivalent of comfort food.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:54 pm
I am obsessed with the Gourmet Makes series from Bon Appetit in which Claire Saffitz, a pastry chef and BA editor, remakes snack foods in homemade gourmet versions. The best part is other than doing some rudimentary internet research, most of each episode is a process of trial and error and it's the kind of thing we rarely see in cooking programs: the process to getting something right. The foods range from the expected (Oreos, Cheetoes, Twinkies) to more specialized (Gushers, Skittles, Twizzlers, Lucky Charms). Things I wouldn't have pegged as being the most difficult component often are-- in Lucky Charms, for instance, the cereal is the hard part, not the colored marshmallows.

In honor of that weird pumpkin ad that keeps popping up on this forum, here's the one for Kit Kats, and you can find the other seven episodes in the sidebar. Saffitz recently left BA to open a bakery, so there won't be any more episodes, unfortunately. Also there are a disturbing amount of YT commenters who "ship" the host and one of the other BA employees based on their flirty exchanges!
Claire Saffitz is back at BA and there's a brand new installment of Gourmet Makes up to boot!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:38 pm

Over the past year or so, Bon Appetit’s YouTube channel has become the most entertaining streaming entertainment on any platform. All the colorful and likable hosts interacting with each other and cameoing in each other’s videos builds a deep interconnected BA Universe far more interesting than Marvel or DC. Given their large view counts, surely I’m not the only one here watching and loving it?

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#18 Post by soundchaser » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:28 pm

It’s just you and this guy.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:38 pm

I see he also has a video lip syncing along to Emma Roberts, so his taste in everything but jackets is unimpeachable

black&huge

#20 Post by black&huge » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:38 pm
Over the past year or so, Bon Appetit’s YouTube channel has become the most entertaining streaming entertainment on any platform. All the colorful and likable hosts interacting with each other and cameoing in each other’s videos builds a deep interconnected BA Universe far more interesting than Marvel or DC. Given their large view counts, surely I’m not the only one here watching and loving it?
Glad to see BA being talked about on these forums. I discovered the channel sometime in the past year or maybe this year but I always have it on while I'm making or doing anything in the kitchen. I enjoy every single host precisely because their personalities are allowed to fully shine. Also was Alison Roman part of BA at some point or just guested? I have seen a couple "older" BA clips with her but I mostly watch her NYtimes cooking vids.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#21 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:35 pm

She has a column in the magazine, so I think they just invited her in to film a few things over the years as one-offs

Red Screamer

#22 Post by Red Screamer » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:07 pm

domino harvey wrote:
I keep up with their channel, especially Gourmet Makes, which has me both more impressed by and more averse to junk food than ever before. I saw all kinds of Bon Appetit Halloween costumes this weekend, with Claire and Carla seemingly the most popular.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#23 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:23 pm

I already dress like Brad Leone. Are you telling me I could just show up carrying a packet of yeast and call it a Halloween costume?

RyanGallagher

#24 Post by RyanGallagher » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:10 pm

domino harvey wrote:
I saw this headline come across in my RSS feeds and for a moment I thought "is this domino harvey?"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:24 pm

I’m waiting on my check for inspiring that piece!

Also, Molly saying
SpoilerShow
“I thought he said ‘you can pound my cock with it’”
in the mashed potato street poll video is the hardest I’ve laughed in a long time