Netflix Originals and Other Exclusives

Discuss TV shows old and new.
roujin

Re: Netflix Originals and Other Exclusives

#126 Post by roujin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Stranger sounds pretty good, will have to add that the list.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#127 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:11 pm

The Netflix viewer rating of Stranger seems to go down each time we watch an episode. Not surprising, I guess, that a series that requires a comparable degree of sustained attention that a Johnnie To movie does would aggravate lots of US viewers. :-(

Murdoch

#128 Post by Murdoch » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:28 pm

Is the Korean medieval zombie show called Kingdom ? If so it looks compelling enough to get me to watch it. Whether I'll finish it is another story...

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#129 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:34 pm

Murdoch -- Yes, the zombie film is Kingdom. I will watch it, good or bad, due to Bae's presence. ;-)

thirtyframesasecond

#130 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:19 pm

Anyone seen Abduction in Plain Sight? Just WTF????

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#132 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:57 pm

That had to have been the quickest decision ever for their programming department. Probably won't cost much outside of paying Paltrow (a la a show like Oprah's), plus a ton of people will watch that thing, either ironically or sincerely.

Boosmahn

#133 Post by Boosmahn » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:58 pm

The Guardian wrote:The 30-minute episodes will reportedly feature doctors, researchers and alternative health practitioners, and other experts on topics of interest to the Goop community.
Does that mean what I think it does?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#134 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:03 pm

Hucksters? Yes

Cameron Swift

#135 Post by Cameron Swift » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:37 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:19 pm
Yes, and had the same reaction to it that you had. Just unbelievable stuff and it had me thinking afterwards why the family has agreed to participate in a documentary about it. You would think you would want your bizarre behaviour to remain in the past. Not a particularly well made documentary and has some strange creative choices (at one point, the molestation of a young girl is shown from the paedophile's POV!) but damn if it isn't worth seeing for the WTF factor.

thirtyframesasecond

#136 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:01 pm

Cameron Swift wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:37 pm
thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:19 pm
Yes, and had the same reaction to it that you had. Just unbelievable stuff and it had me thinking afterwards why the family has agreed to participate in a documentary about it. You would think you would want your bizarre behaviour to remain in the past. Not a particularly well made documentary and has some strange creative choices (at one point, the molestation of a young girl is shown from the paedophile's POV!) but damn if it isn't worth seeing for the WTF factor.
The whole sequence of events required a huge amount of gullibility/complicity to occur.
SpoilerShow
Your daughter gets kidnapped, you let him back in around her once they come back. The mum has an affair, the dad jerks him off. He kidnaps her again. He only ever gets busted on gun charges two decades later

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#137 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:24 am

The medieval era Korean zombie drama Kingdom has nice production values and BAE Doona provides a good performance, but otherwise Episode 1 (of 6) left me cold. Other performances and the script seemed pretty wooden -- for all the excitement. Only the briefest appearance of zombies so far, but pretty lifeless already. (But I note it has gotten plenty of enthusiastic reviews -- and has a MUCH higher rating on Netflix than the infinitely superior Stranger).

I've got a feeling that I may have little affinity for Korean historic (TV) dramas (tried but never got far on a few others I've sampled). I will keep watching, but only due to Bae's presence. Apparently Bae's performance here caused some controversy -- presumably because she refused to perform in the stilted style that is apparently the (demanded?) norm for this sort of show.

Persona

#138 Post by Persona » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:09 pm

Supposedly Kingdom gets much better after the first episode. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, though.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#139 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm

We shall see...

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#140 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Finished season 1 of Kingdom -- in my opinion, just a big (glossy) dumb spectacle. Most of its running time seems devoted to not all that interesting zombie fights. It does get marginally better after episode 1, but the scripting strikes me as almost uniformly arbitrary -- things happen just because the creators wanted them to happen. "Rules" as to the zombies change whnever convenient to do so. Remarkably little character development over the course of 6 episodes (far less than one found in I Am a Hero (a mere 2 hours long) -- where the encounters with zombies usually also told us a lot about the important non-zombie characters... BAE Doona was definitely the best thing about this -- but she (like almost everyone else) gets to say and do little of interest.

Persona

#141 Post by Persona » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:15 pm

I am really enjoying Kingdom so far though it may be more that the genre mash-up is just really working well for me. Production values are really good, though, and I find the shooting/editing really effective, not to mention the physical performances of the zombies.

Does seem like the series isn't trying too hard to develop the characters... and I'm okay with that, I'd prefer that as opposed to forced back-stories and characters explaining themselves (here's looking at you, Walking Dead), but yeah, the emotional investment so far has been minimal.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#142 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Well, I found the zombies here pretty boring. ;-)

I don't think the (undeniably) high-quality production values make up for the shoddy scripting (even apart from the lack of character development).

Not a fan in general of zombie movies, so what do I know...

DarkImbecile
LightGenius

#143 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:58 pm

Red-band trailer for Love, Death & Robots, an 18-part animated anthology series executive produced by David Fincher and Tim Miller

DarkImbecile
LightGenius

#144 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:08 pm

flyonthewall2983

#145 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:57 am

The Dirt, based on the best-selling book by Motley Crue. I don't like their music I'm sure anymore than anyone else here, but I'm kind of interested in seeing how this is received. If it's true to the book, and especially in the aftermath of how Bohemian Rhapsody basically Disney-fied Queen's story, this could actually be quite good.

Big Ben

#146 Post by Big Ben » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:59 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:57 am
The Dirt, based on the best-selling book by Motley Crue. I don't like their music I'm sure anymore than anyone else here, but I'm kind of interested in seeing how this is received. If it's true to the book, and especially in the aftermath of how Bohemian Rhapsody basically Disney-fied Queen's story, this could actually be quite good.
I say this without any hint of irony but the Motley Crue autobiography is one of the most disgusting things I've ever read. You won't believe what smells you can cover up with tacos!

Persona

#147 Post by Persona » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:37 pm

Russian Doll

What a show.

The Groundhog Day/Happy Death Day comparisons get pretty left behind about 3 episodes in.

It's sorta occupying middle ground between NBC's The Good Place and, like, David Lynch.

The writing and direction are quite good and Natasha Lyonne is really great in the lead role.

Based on how humorous the show is for the majority of the time, I was not at all prepared for how legitimately weird and unsettling (and also touching) the last couple episodes are.

Apparently a couple more seasons are in the works but it's kind of hard to imagine, even if the ending of this season is certainly open enough for it. Nonetheless, sign me up.

thirtyframesasecond

#149 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:26 pm

It's in ten parts, but I've started The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann - which will either be very thorough or very dragged out because there's no new information besides what we already know. For those who don't know, Madeleine is a young girl who was taken from her parent's apartment in Portugal on holiday. Her parents were at dinner with friends and they checked in every 20 mins - and she was taken during one of those gaps. This was 2007 so it's one of the longest and most publicised missing cases in the UK. I'm sure the police in charge will be questioned, the parents will be questioned....who knows? This true crime stuff is becoming Netflix's wheelhouse at the moment....will it be in bad taste?

HJackson

#150 Post by HJackson » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am

I watched the first episode and won't bother with the rest. Found it incredibly tedious and, yes, drawn out - they even have an extended digression about the history of the region as a tourist destination that has next to nothing to do with the case under discussion.