It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WWE Network
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:15 pm 

Launches 2/24

I'm very much looking forward to this, more for the ease of having all the old tapes I used to rent as a kid available to me online. I'm so glad it's become an online venture (that's also using the Netflix model for streaming programming) as opposed a regular network. It sounds risky, but I think putting the PPV events up for a fraction of what the cable and satellite companies charge will pay off if this goes as well as I think it should.

Post subject: Re: WWE Network
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:36 pm 

I'm in for this. From what I've heard, WWE is supposed to earn more revenue from streaming their PPV on the Network than from their Satellite and Cable contracts, in which they earn pennies on the dollar. The only ones I see affected by this are the wrestlers themselves, who still have no clue as how much bonuses they are going to earn or lose from this venture and in addition, they'll probably lose revenue from the DVD/BD business side.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:15 pm 

Will it be available in PR? I've heard it won't be available in certain parts of the world until as late as next year.

I'm definitely in for it too, just not sure when. I'm really tempted to wait until WrestleMania to get the free trial just so I can say I watched it free and legally, but I might just go and make the plunge once it comes out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:28 am 

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Will it be available in PR? I've heard it won't be available in certain parts of the world until as late as next year.

I'm definitely in for it too, just not sure when. I'm really tempted to wait until WrestleMania to get the free trial just so I can say I watched it free and legally, but I might just go and make the plunge once it comes out.

Yes, is going to be available in PR from the get go. I'm in NC right now so I don't have to worry that much about country restrictions, but my dad is getting it in PR from their Roku and PS3 service.

My only concern is that the Network is going to crash the first month and during Wrestlemania because of the heavy traffic. I expect traffic to be incredibly high since this actually something that is being heavily promoted not only to the current fans, but to the ones that have stopped watching because they don't like the current product but love other eras like the Hogan and the Attitude eras. WWE has had huge problems in the past when they have streamed PPV online so I'm excited but at the same times a little scared that the system is going to crap out during their biggest day of business.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:54 am 

The company handling the streaming end of it do the same work for Major League Baseball (who have done quite well with it from what I hear), so they're likely well-equipped to handle any such issues. And WrestleMania won't be the first streaming live event they do, so they'll have a little bit of time to work out any kinks they have by then.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:40 pm 

The list of every PPV available upon launch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:32 am 

flyonthewall2983 wrote:

They are even showing Over the Edge, the PPV Owen Hart died. I imagine that they are going to edit all references to him and the Blue Blazer, which it's hard because after the accident, many wrestlers and the announcers where making reference him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:53 am 

That definitely sticks out of the list.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:11 am 

An interesting development to this now is WWE's relationship with NBCUniversal, because recent deals to renegotiate have gone nowhere and the deadline is this Friday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:51 am 

WWE’s ‘Raw’ and ‘Smackdown’ Poised to Switch TV Networks

Quote:
“WWE’s exclusive negotiating period with NBCU for our flagship television programs, ‘Raw’ and ‘Smackdown,’ has now expired,” WWE said in a statement to TheWrap.

“While we were unable to reach an agreement with NBCU during this period, we have certainly appreciated our long and productive partnership,” the company continued. “With year-round, live programming that is highly coveted by programmers, distributors and advertisers, we are extremely excited about our future. We look forward to engaging with potential partners who recognize the value of having the No. 1 show on cable and live content delivered 52 weeks a year.”

The irony of it all is that after years and years of Vince saying "we're entertainment, not sport", that now they want to be on the same pay grade as live sports. This could put the company in quite the tangle, if no other network ponies up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:21 am 

To be quite honest, I don't know that they necessarily need a network anymore. The networks need AAA-level product like theirs to keep making people tune in and stay subscribed to cable. Their moving to an "app" will make their audience follow to the multi-multi-platform app world, and just make traditional cable less relevant to those who go to cable specifically for things like WWE programming.

I say all of this having not actively followed WWE in over a decade.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:22 am 

arthousecowboy wrote:
To be quite honest, I don't know that they necessarily need a network anymore. The networks need AAA-level product like theirs to keep making people tune in and stay subscribed to cable. Their moving to an "app" will make their audience follow to the multi-multi-platform app world, and just make traditional cable less relevant to those who go to cable specifically for things like WWE programming.

I say all of this having not actively followed WWE in over a decade.

Most of WWE's money comes from the TV rights fees. They need to be on cable to push their audience to buy their WWE network, as well as push the PPV's that are going to be on the network.

Chris Harrington explains it way better than I ever could:

"WWE needs the new TV rights fees money to subsidize the projects like WWE Network so it has time to get legs and grow. WWE is now primarily a television company. Consider that 75% of US Adults have Cable/Satellite service. Meanwhile, the next biggest over-the-top competitor, Netflix, is subscribed by 29% of US Adults (That's for an established OTT service, not something new like WWE Network). WWE couldn't survive if they weren't on weekly television."

Indeed Wrestling

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:41 pm 

If it comes down to them leaving NBC/Universal, FXX wouldn't be a bad place for them to go. They're in kind of a similar spot to where what is now known as Spike was when Vince brought their programming over there over a decade ago now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:22 pm 

FXX doesn't have the reach that USA does and I don't think that WWE PG programing (they just re-signed with Mattel until 2020) would be the right fit for a channel that wants to have edgy programming. I could see them going to Fox Sports One (though they lack household visibility), or FX. I don't think they have the chance of going to a Disney Network, because Disney doesn't have a network where wrestling would fit in other than ESPN and that network has Monday Night Football as their main sports show. I also don't think Viacom has a place for them. Neither does Turner/WB, as they have re-branded themselves and stayed away from wrestling after selling WCW in 2001. At the same time, I don't think NBC will be willing to lose WWE. USA has become their #1 cable network because of WWE. When WWE moved to Spike TV, they lost that coveted spot and Bonnie Hammer made sure that WWE would come back to USA when their contract with Viacom ran out. I don't think that they are willing to repeat that same mistake, yet this is NBC we are talking about, the same organization who had the Jay Leno debacle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:04 pm 

They'd never go to a sports network. Vince McMahon hates his show being pre-empted by live events (a point of contention with USA before they left for Spike was their coverage of the Westminster Dog Show that often meant there was no wrestling on Monday night, an embarrassing blow for them during the Monday Night Wars). Spike would be more ideal because of it's previous relationship, but because of the disparity between the network's purely male demographic and WWE's more family-friendly product (not to mention possible fatigue of wrestling in general due to TNA's surprising longevity) it might not be as strong a combination as it was before.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:17 pm 

Day 1 of the WWE Network has been tough for WWE since their order process and the Network itself is crashing and not letting orders go through. This is typical of first day launches for popular things but WWE better get their act straight and don't let this occur during Wrestlemania because there are going to be millions of people pissed if the PPV crashes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:08 pm 

It was spotty this morning but is working pretty good for me now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:53 pm 

I didn't know I was signed in until a couple of minutes ago when I received a confirmation email for my purchase. I registered around 1PM and after entering my credit card and my info, and pressing submit, it took me to an error page. Just logged in to the PS3 app and most of it works pretty well, but the connection seems to suck, so lets see if they improve that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:56 pm 

"Demand for WWE Network subscriptions exceeded anything we've seen in 14 years of doing e-commerce.” - MLB Advanced Media

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:27 am 

The live feed is pretty strong and has been consistent lately, but the VOD service has been very unresponsive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:36 pm 

Yeah, the VOD has been spotty at best. I've heard that the app works the best on the Apple TV. So far, I'm loving it. I saw the Wrestlemania I rewind and the Behind the Ring - Greatest Rivalries - Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. It was simply awesome seeing these 2 talk about their careers and the controversy. I just hope they keep doing this show, because it was certainly awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:24 am 

Everything's been pretty solid since the last post. VOD and live feed working like a charm with maybe a few tiny exceptions. Overall it's been a pleasant surprise that it's been as dedicated to wrestling as it has, and not the outside stuff like the movies and whatnot. The thing I love the most about it is the little clips they've been putting on between programs on the feed, little vignettes, old clips, and even full matches.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:41 pm 

New TV deal in place, the announcement of which will be in late April or early May. Crazy as it sounds, AMC would make good sense. I think the only live programming they've ever had were shows like The Talking Dead and Talking Bad which are nowhere near as spontaneous as a sporting event. And isn't AMC in bed with Cablevision, which owns the MSG Network (which goes WAY back with WWE)?.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:58 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:09 pm 

Hall of Fame ceremony is live right now and the feed has been flawless.