TV of 2018

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Aunt Peg

Re: Netflix Originals

#126 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:52 am

I've finally bitten the bullet and subscribed to Netflix. I had already seen some of their films on the big screen like Roma, Casting JonBenet, 21 July, Okja, The Meyerowitz Stories, Private Life & Operation Finale. So far I have watched Amanda Knox, Our Souls at Night, The Ballard of Buster Scruggs & Outlaw King (what a bore that one was). I have about another 20 films I want to watch and two series: Mindhunters & Maniac.

Must say I'm surprised at the excellent visual quality of everything. I just wish they included the directors name on the movies which would make it easier to help determine what to watch.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Netflix Originals

#128 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Springsteen on Broadway was really enjoyable and emotional. I don't think it's as perfect as those going to see it on Broadway had made it out to be - some of the rearranged songs don't pack as much punch as they could ("Born in the USA" redone as a shaggy blues number should have been more impactful than it was, but it just didn't really work), and despite his lovely words about her and her strong contributions to a couple of songs, having Patti Scialfa join him on stage was a bit jarring considering the intimacy of the rest of the show. The highs (the opening 45 minutes or so, the anecdote about his father visiting him before his first child was born, the final performance of "Born to Run") were very, very high, though. And it's lovely that he saw fit to have it recorded and released this way so those who couldn't drop 4 figures on tickets could experience it.

flyonthewall2983

Re: TV of 2018

#130 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:59 am

Anybody a fan of Cobra Kai? I am almost positive I haven't seen any of the Karate Kid movies with any sort of interest since I was in single-digits, but the premise was extremely intriguing to me. And finishing the first season I was more than surprised at how it came off in it's execution. The positive side of rebooting something is seeing characters that might have been one-dimensional or uninteresting to the viewer, blossom into something more complex on the other side of how many years has gone between. William Zabka arguably created an archetype of teen movies that went beyond just the 80's, and to see Johnny as a broken-down man, rebuilding himself to what he thinks is a former glory but is really a deeper understanding of himself, is great to watch.

skilar

Re: TV of 2018

#131 Post by skilar » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:24 pm

I was recently pointed in the direction of Joe Pera Talks with You and was not disappointed. Joe Pera plays a fictional version of himself, working as a middle school choir teacher in the Upper Peninsula. The show is a comedy, but so much of each episode hinges on Joe's wholesome, grandfatherly persona that I found myself laughing less than I was moved. I never thought a jack-o'-lantern going over a waterfall would be so touching. Each episode is only ~11 minutes long, and there are only two seasons, so it's a quick watch.