The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Emak-Bakia

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

#1 Post by Emak-Bakia » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:42 am

Has anyone here watched the new Amy Sherman-Palladino show, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, on Amazon? It's seriously great, and if we get a few more seasons as strong as the first, this will top Gilmore Girls (which is one of my favorite TV shows.)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: TV of 2017

#2 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:45 am

It's the late 1950s and Miriam "Midge" Maisel has everything she has ever wanted --
Okay... I'm listening...
the perfect husband, two kids and an elegant apartment on New York's Upper West Side.
That's slightly less exciting, but go on...
Her seemingly idyllic life takes a surprising turn when she discovers a hidden talent she didn't previously know she had
Oh nice, a twist!
-- stand-up comedy.
No thanks, goodbye. There has been so much media about and around stand-up comedy in the last few years that I just can't get past the over-saturation.

Roger Ryan

Re: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

#3 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:22 pm

The production values are quite high on this show and the performances are good (Tony Shalhoub in particular), but the illogical choices the main characters make were a serious detriment...
SpoilerShow
Midge is clearly established as an intelligent proto-feminist and,yet, she goes on-stage twice without preparation and is shocked that she bombs. The second time, where she hasn't even bothered to read the joke cards she bought from a gagman before stepping on stage, demonstrated especially poor writing.
Still, the idea of the show is a good one and the short first season managed to stay above the worst tendencies of Gilmore Girls for the most part; only the second episode indulged in the tiresome fast cross-talking screaming matches that the producers tried to pass off as screwball comedy in the earlier series.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

Re: TV of 2017

#4 Post by barryconvex » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:07 pm

mfunk9786 wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:45 am
It's the late 1950s and Miriam "Midge" Maisel has everything she has ever wanted --
Okay... I'm listening...
the perfect husband, two kids and an elegant apartment on New York's Upper West Side.
That's slightly less exciting, but go on...
Her seemingly idyllic life takes a surprising turn when she discovers a hidden talent she didn't previously know she had
Oh nice, a twist!
-- stand-up comedy.
No thanks, goodbye. There has been so much media about and around stand-up comedy in the last few years that I just can't get past the over-saturation.
I swear i had the same reaction and i managed to ignore it for the better part of a year...but the show's actually pretty solid. I wouldn't call it great but Rachel Brosnahan and Tony Shalhoub are so immensely likable that they carry the show past the irritating ex, the obnoxious in-laws, the tough (but tender hearted) gal manager and the mountains upon mountains of Jewish cliches.