Discuss TV shows old and new.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: TV of 2018

#26 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:19 pm

I get to the
SpoilerShow
trial episode
in the first season every time I try to watch it and then just zone out. LQ loves it though, and feels it got better as it went along

Big Ben

Re: TV of 2018

#27 Post by Big Ben » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:25 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:01 pm
Easy to kill characters off if there's been this much time in between.
Agreed. There's a big reason that Jones won't be back though.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Deadwood

#28 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Wow, we had a lot of Deadwood stuff scattered around the TV subforum! Enough for a now 2 page-and-counting thread...

Finch

#29 Post by Finch » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:27 pm

Wait a minute, I thought W Earl Brown was returning? He regularly tweets about the film and he read Milch's script.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#30 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 pm

The Deadline article only lists twelve returning cast members, but doesn't mention by name anyone who isn't coming back, so I think the user who posted it made an assumption on who isn't returning

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#31 Post by Caligula » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:27 am

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 pm
The Deadline article only lists twelve returning cast members, but doesn't mention by name anyone who isn't coming back, so I think the user who posted it made an assumption on who isn't returning
Indeed I did. Would love to be wrong about W Earl Brown, especially

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#32 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:28 am

Have we seen anything to go against the earlier quote that every living cast member but one was on board?

Big Ben

#33 Post by Big Ben » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:05 am

swo17 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:28 am
Have we seen anything to go against the earlier quote that every living cast member but one was on board?
I would assume Jeffrey Jones won't be back because of the whole doing owning very illegal things with children thing and solicitation.

BigMack3000

#34 Post by BigMack3000 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:12 am

But that happened 1 year before he was originally cast in the show.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#36 Post by Caligula » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:00 am

Further update from W Earl Brown, from which it appears that Brent Sexton (Harry Manning), Keone Young (Mr Wu) and Cleo King (Aunt Lou) will be back as well

MongooseCmr

#37 Post by MongooseCmr » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:47 pm

David Milch discusses Alzheimer’s diagnosis. I’m so happy he was finally able to get this made and end his career on his own terms but this is still heartbreaking.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#38 Post by Caligula » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:59 am

Another article from Rolling Stone, overlapping a bit with the previous one but still making for interesting reading

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#39 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:32 pm

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#40 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon May 20, 2019 1:45 pm

DarkImbecile

#41 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed May 22, 2019 1:35 pm

Fun Timothy Olyphant interview in Rolling Stone with Alan Sepinwall
Timothy Olyphant wrote:On his ambivalence about doing the movie
...one of the great appeals of working with David is the chaos. And in the same respect of feeling like I don’t know why these fuckers blew this show up 12 years ago, there’s a tinge of me feeling ripped off that these fuckers didn’t get this thing going sooner. Because what I do miss, without getting too much in the weeds about why I may have not been as interested in this as perhaps others, I always thought if we’re going to do it, we should go back and give David the opportunity to do what he does best, which is multiple episodes.

He’s one of the greatest episodic writers the genre has ever seen. And to some degree, my concern has always been, for our movie, what’s the fucking point? My recollection of what made the show great was never the plot. What made the show great was spending time with these characters, and that whatever characters were on screen, the show might as well be about them. And when you do a movie, you just don’t have the real estate. So, nobody wants to see The Untouchables where the lady with the baby carriage at the train station has 20 pages of material, because you’ve got to take out 20 pages that goes to Eliot Ness and there lies the rub. Right? So, the idea of doing a movie of this show, by its very nature, my concern was, “Are we not destroying the show? Are you killing the very thing by handcuffing it?” But all that being said, I’m glad I did it.

On how the show got cancelled
I’ll tell you my version, and I already said this earlier: I fully understand that my memory of how it happened may not be how it happened, even for me. This is a story I’ve told over the years and every time you tell it, it changes. And let me also preface this with, I’ve never been one to let truth get in the way of a good story. So, if you are holding onto facts and you’re going to call me on these facts, go fuck yourself.

On his post-Deadwood choices
And let me put this under the list of why these people owe me. What we have to thank for this is the villain in [Live Free or] Die Hard and a fucking bald head in Bulgaria shooting Hitman. That’s what that phone call led to. “How about the villain of Die Hard?” I said, “Sure.” And they’re like, “Do you want to read the script?” I said, ” I get it. I’m in. I just bought a house. Did you not hear? They just canceled my fucking show. Yes, I’ll do it.” “What about this video game adaptation?” “Yes to that too. I’m in. I’ve got to make up some TV money.” You know what, though? Those experiences were equally valuable. Oddly enough, those kinds of experiences, perhaps arguably more valuable than these. You know? Find yourself bald in Bulgaria doing some pile of shit, that will get you up a little earlier in the morning and make you work a little harder.

DarkImbecile

#42 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:57 am

Kickstarter for Matt Zoller Seitz’/Seitz’s/Seitzes? A Lie Agreed Upon: The Deadwood Chronicles
Pledge US$ 30 or more

A LIE AGREED UPON (signed)

A LIE AGREED UPON: THE DEADWOOD CHRONICLES is a book by Matt Zoller Seitz, author of The Wes Anderson Collection and Mad Men Carousel and co-author of TV: The Book and The Sopranos Sessions. It covers the making of all three seasons of HBO's Deadwood plus the movie, plus information on the career of David Milch's career before and after the series.

A LIE AGREED UPON is a collectors' item designed to resemble a weathered hardbound Bible from the 1900s, with faux-gold leaf edges, and some sections done in chapter-and-verse. It will include hand drawn illustrations by Max Dalton (who illustrated three MZS books) and an introduction by bestselling author Megan Abbott (Dare Me), who also wrote the intro to Mad Men Carousel.

In the spirit of this great series about community, Seitz will interview dozens of people associated with every level of the production, from series creator David Milch, the directors, and the stars, down to extras, stable hands, and production assistants.

INCLUDES:
Signed by the author
ESTIMATED DELIVERY
Nov 2020

DarkImbecile

#43 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:26 pm

There’s a week left on the Matt Zoller Seitz’s Deadwood Kickstarter, and it still needs about $35K to get over the line.

For any deep-pocketed Deadwood fanatics, there’s a new $500 reward tier where MZS and cast members W. Earl Brown and Jim Beaver will record an original hour-long commentary for an episode of your choosing!

I’d be lying if I didn’t admit I was considering it!

mistakaninja

#44 Post by mistakaninja » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Minimum 85 bucks extra to the UK, but I'll probably still pull the trigger.

DarkImbecile

#45 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:44 pm

mistakaninja wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:27 pm
Minimum 85 bucks extra to the UK, but I'll probably still pull the trigger.
Apparently there are groups of purchasers in certain countries coordinating bulk overseas shipment and then local distribution to keep costs down, so that may be worth looking into if you do back it.

DarkImbecile

#46 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:48 pm

The Kickstarter for Matt Zoller Seitz' book on the series met its goal, so if you were holding out to see if it would actually happen, you've got less than 36 hours to get an order in!

DeprongMori

#47 Post by DeprongMori » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Devastating news from Matt Zoller Seitz — his wife, Nancy Johnson, has received a terminal breast cancer diagnosis. I enclose his letter to his Kickstarter funders.
Dearest hoopleheads:

I write with a heavy heart. My wife Nancy Dawson has been battling a rare and pernicious form of breast cancer for the past 18 months. She had a mastectomy in November, 2018, and had been having proactive or “prophylactic” treatments since then (radiation and chemotherapy). As of late spring, we were told that she was in remission with “no evidence of cancer,” which is why I felt safe in undertaking a project of the magnitude of A Lie Agreed Upon.

Unfortunately, to paraphrase Al, if you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans.

In November 2019, scans revealed that the cancer had returned and spread to her vertebrae and liver. In early December, the doctors informed us that there was nothing further that could be done, and that she probably had “weeks” left.

Since the terminal diagnosis, our extended family has been trying to spend as much time with Nancy as possible while having frank and pragmatic conversations about the future. This includes Transform, the Cincinnati-based nonprofit that Nancy co-founded last year, which gives donated clothes to trans & non-binary teenagers.

https://www.facebook.com/transformcincy/

I’ve been chronicling the entire journey on Twitter in a thread that starts here:

https://twitter.com/mattzollerseitz/sta ... 4085286915

Work on the Deadwood book has continued throughout, and will continue. Shortly before learning of the return of Nancy’s illness, I hired two fulfillment coordinators, Colleen McSwiggin and Julie Pergrem, and they started pricing shipping options and creating spreadsheets to track everyone’s information moving forward. Oriana Schwindt has continued to conduct interviews, and Jeremy Fassler has transcribed them. Paula Bonhomme, aka Bubble Genius, has been in contact with me about starting production on the soap, boxes, and prizes.

All that having been said, the cancer treatments and their personal fallout have complicated my ability to do anything work-related (including getting the backer reports out, and making design choices with the printing press). I’m coming to terms with the fact that we might need to delay production of the book by six months to a year, depending on how quickly the family recovers from this loss. I don't know for a fact that we'll have to push the deadline forward a bit, or exactly how long it might be pushed, because the worst hasn't happened yet. But I thought it was important to be transparent and let you know what was going on.

Look for another update -- an excerpt from an interview! -- soon. Thank you for your support and understanding.

--Matt

Big Ben

#48 Post by Big Ben » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:35 pm

This is the second time Matt will have lost a wife to something. His first wife Jennifer passed away at thirty five from a heart attack due to a valve defect. I can't imagine what he and his wife must be going through.

zedz

#49 Post by zedz » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:31 pm

So. . . a couple of pages of speculation about the Deadwood movie and then nobody bothers to watch it? Why does this not surprise me?

It's a nice, and very elegant, piece of fan service. (Almost) everybody's back, though several of the characters are reduced to glorified extras. The language is more baroque than ever, almost like the Deadwood argot has evolved in isolation during all these years away. There's some closure, but only for a few characters, which was a relief, as trying to tie up everybody's loose ends in under two hours would have been ridiculous, and go completely against the grain of the original show, which gloried in its shagginess. In most cases, we just have to be satisfied with checking in on where characters are at down the line. All the characters are on point, even if they have very little to do - and this is actually a little disappointing, as you'd expect at least some of them to have changed more in the intervening years.

The plot hinges on the return of Hearst to Deadwood, which conveniently allows the story to "follow on" from the last series. It's solid enough story-wise, but most of the pleasure of the film comes from little callbacks, acting gracenotes, and the language.

jazzo

#50 Post by jazzo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:03 pm

I'd been attempting to draft something about the film for a couple of months, but nothing coalesced the way I wanted it to.

Essentially, Zedz, I agree with your feelings. The performances were almost uniformly perfect, and the writing was beautiful and elegiac, albeit occasionally clunky to push its rushed plot forward.

And it did feel rushed. This story-line would have taken the original Deadwood an entire season to play out, and as a result, a lot of the subtlety and richness that accompanied each episode has been extracted from the Deadwood Movie. As you mentioned, many of the actors show up and aren't really given much to do except walk on as guests in their own show, but you can also tell that they have a lot of affection for these once-in-a-lifetime characters they were allowed to live in and breathe a decade-and-a-half ago, and are just happy to honor that opportunity.

The direction probably takes the brunt of my biggest criticism. The digital photography was too clean, and the Movie never felt as weighty or dusty as the show did. Daniel Minahan, who was one of the original series directors, moved the camera too much, and cut far too often, sometimes in oddly abstract ways (particularly the scene where Trixie calls out Hearst on the balcony), which veers away from the graceful HBO "house" style of the original series. This made the movie feel too modern and less lived in, at least to me. Deadwood: The Series was anything but flashy. Deadwood: The Series was patience.

In the end, I am glad that it finally exists, especially given the circumstances surrounding Milch's health during its creation, but am not sure that I consider it all that necessary (or even necessary to be connected to) the original series, which, after five times through, is still a thoroughly satisfying (if not my most satisfying), television viewing experience.

Deadwood: The Movie was, to me, like slipping on a reunion album by one of my favourite bands. All the right notes are hit, and I can tell that everyone's just glad to be there, even if for just a song or two. And that's a great vibe to be around, but while I'm sitting there grooving along, I'm also keenly aware that the voices are more strained than I remember, and the energy is slightly more muted than I would have liked. But they tried. And sometimes that's enough.