Dot Com Dom

Re: TV of 2019

#3 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:49 am

TV should always so directly appeal to my interests

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Netflix

#4 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:21 pm

Netflix currently has two recent BAE Doona series available.

The first is a police/crime/suspense series called Stranger, in which Bae plays an intrepid and very honest police lieutenant, who is the sole reliable ally of a very honest (but emotionally dis-connected) prosecutor. Bribery, corruption and murder -- in a remarkably tightly written show. 7 episodes into the 16 -- and my finger nails are rapidly disappearing (such as they were). Great acting all around, very good cinematography (and timing). Only problem is VERY small subtitles (sometimes a little bit out of sync) -- and occasional dialog that is not subtitled at all

The other series is a Korean (medieval era) zombie show -- in which Bae is one of three top-billed stars. I'm not sure who she plays -- as I won't tackle this until I've finished Stranger. I also tracked down a copy of Gloria (from 2016) or so -- cheap subbed DVDs from Asia (with so-so -- but LARGE font -- subtitling).

roujin

Re: Netflix Originals and Other Exclusives

#5 Post by roujin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:05 pm

If you're referring to the Gloria, the k-drama series from 2010, you should know it's something like 50 episodes! It's quite a commitment and ultimately punishing over-the-top melo in the k-drama style. However, she does a sing a lot in it, which is quite a bit of fun.

The one I want to see is from 2010 called Master of Study, a remake of an original Japanese J-drama starring Hiroshi Abe called Dragon Zakura, about a teacher who promises to place a bunch of bad students into a prestigious university. There is also the 2004 series called Someday, where plays a manga author!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#6 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:45 pm

I will definitely take Gloria in small doses -- OTOH, my wife and I are struggling to resist the urge to binge watch Stranger.

The Korean remake of Dragon Zakura is more interesting than the Japanese original (though Abe was great in this) -- because more characters have greater depth. I managed to snag a DVD set long ago. Someday is pretty good. I think her best TV performances (beside Stranger) are in Beating Hearts and Rosemary (in both of these, interestingly, she is playing the second most important female role).

roujin

#7 Post by roujin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Stranger sounds pretty good, will have to add that the list.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#8 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:11 pm

The Netflix viewer rating of Stranger seems to go down each time we watch an episode. Not surprising, I guess, that a series that requires a comparable degree of sustained attention that a Johnnie To movie does would aggravate lots of US viewers. :-(

Murdoch

#9 Post by Murdoch » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:28 pm

Is the Korean medieval zombie show called Kingdom ? If so it looks compelling enough to get me to watch it. Whether I'll finish it is another story...

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#10 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:34 pm

Murdoch -- Yes, the zombie film is Kingdom. I will watch it, good or bad, due to Bae's presence. ;-)

thirtyframesasecond

#11 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:19 pm

Anyone seen Abduction in Plain Sight? Just WTF????

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#13 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:57 pm

That had to have been the quickest decision ever for their programming department. Probably won't cost much outside of paying Paltrow (a la a show like Oprah's), plus a ton of people will watch that thing, either ironically or sincerely.

Boosmahn

#14 Post by Boosmahn » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:58 pm

The Guardian wrote:The 30-minute episodes will reportedly feature doctors, researchers and alternative health practitioners, and other experts on topics of interest to the Goop community.
Does that mean what I think it does?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#15 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:03 pm

Hucksters? Yes

Swift

#16 Post by Swift » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:37 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:19 pm
Yes, and had the same reaction to it that you had. Just unbelievable stuff and it had me thinking afterwards why the family has agreed to participate in a documentary about it. You would think you would want your bizarre behaviour to remain in the past. Not a particularly well made documentary and has some strange creative choices (at one point, the molestation of a young girl is shown from the paedophile's POV!) but damn if it isn't worth seeing for the WTF factor.

thirtyframesasecond

#17 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:01 pm

Cameron Swift wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:37 pm
thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:19 pm
Yes, and had the same reaction to it that you had. Just unbelievable stuff and it had me thinking afterwards why the family has agreed to participate in a documentary about it. You would think you would want your bizarre behaviour to remain in the past. Not a particularly well made documentary and has some strange creative choices (at one point, the molestation of a young girl is shown from the paedophile's POV!) but damn if it isn't worth seeing for the WTF factor.
The whole sequence of events required a huge amount of gullibility/complicity to occur.
SpoilerShow
Your daughter gets kidnapped, you let him back in around her once they come back. The mum has an affair, the dad jerks him off. He kidnaps her again. He only ever gets busted on gun charges two decades later

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#18 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:24 am

The medieval era Korean zombie drama Kingdom has nice production values and BAE Doona provides a good performance, but otherwise Episode 1 (of 6) left me cold. Other performances and the script seemed pretty wooden -- for all the excitement. Only the briefest appearance of zombies so far, but pretty lifeless already. (But I note it has gotten plenty of enthusiastic reviews -- and has a MUCH higher rating on Netflix than the infinitely superior Stranger).

I've got a feeling that I may have little affinity for Korean historic (TV) dramas (tried but never got far on a few others I've sampled). I will keep watching, but only due to Bae's presence. Apparently Bae's performance here caused some controversy -- presumably because she refused to perform in the stilted style that is apparently the (demanded?) norm for this sort of show.

Persona

#19 Post by Persona » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:09 pm

Supposedly Kingdom gets much better after the first episode. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, though.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#20 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm

We shall see...

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#21 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Finished season 1 of Kingdom -- in my opinion, just a big (glossy) dumb spectacle. Most of its running time seems devoted to not all that interesting zombie fights. It does get marginally better after episode 1, but the scripting strikes me as almost uniformly arbitrary -- things happen just because the creators wanted them to happen. "Rules" as to the zombies change whnever convenient to do so. Remarkably little character development over the course of 6 episodes (far less than one found in I Am a Hero (a mere 2 hours long) -- where the encounters with zombies usually also told us a lot about the important non-zombie characters... BAE Doona was definitely the best thing about this -- but she (like almost everyone else) gets to say and do little of interest.

Persona

#22 Post by Persona » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:15 pm

I am really enjoying Kingdom so far though it may be more that the genre mash-up is just really working well for me. Production values are really good, though, and I find the shooting/editing really effective, not to mention the physical performances of the zombies.

Does seem like the series isn't trying too hard to develop the characters... and I'm okay with that, I'd prefer that as opposed to forced back-stories and characters explaining themselves (here's looking at you, Walking Dead), but yeah, the emotional investment so far has been minimal.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#23 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Well, I found the zombies here pretty boring. ;-)

I don't think the (undeniably) high-quality production values make up for the shoddy scripting (even apart from the lack of character development).

Not a fan in general of zombie movies, so what do I know...

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#24 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:58 pm

Red-band trailer for Love, Death & Robots, an 18-part animated anthology series executive produced by David Fincher and Tim Miller

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#25 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:08 pm