Space Force

Discuss TV shows old and new.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Space Force

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:31 pm

Greg Daniels and Steve Carell creating Netflix series Space Force, a workplace comedy starring Carell in the mold of The Office about Trump's new military branch

As we all know, there is literally nothing funnier than comedies about Donald Trump, so nothing can possibly go wrong here

Big Ben

Re: Space Force

#2 Post by Big Ben » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:09 pm

I do think that the United States' gross military budget is ripe for satire but I'll have to agree with you here about the longevity of the project if they're going to rely entirely on the heat of the moment.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Anyone saying "hey, this guy is going to at least be great for comedy" has come out looking like they don't know much about the subject.

Daniels and Carell are smart people, and I'm sure they'll see the value in making this a standalone thing that has very minimal connection to the news. But brainworms have set in to Carell's peers so thoroughly that you've got Democratic presidential candidates announcing that they're running on Colbert, for example, so who knows. The sky's the limit on how tonally unbearable this could be.

Big Ben

#4 Post by Big Ben » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:08 pm

I'm hoping it's more about the absurdity of Military Budget (The Pentagon is a money pit for instance.) but the current trend, as you've correctly pointed out is a consistent inability of Democrats to market themselves or remain consistent on issues. As for longevity if the Space Force survives the Trump presidency it could be a long running joke for years to come (Oh no.).