Succession

Discuss TV shows old and new.
therewillbeblus

Re: Succession

#26 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue May 30, 2023 7:12 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 7:05 pm
Really surprised at some of you for missing the beats here...
therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:40 am
Boosmahn wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:06 am
Kendall was the series' throughline for me. Without him, I would like the series much less. I always found his character interesting, though I admit part of that comes from very personal reasons.
Same, which is why it was weird when
SpoilerShow
suddenly he seemed cured of his addictions in season four, and became kind of a non-character/empty vessel. That’s part of why I felt this was the worst season and the last shot didn’t land its intended power.
Remember season four took place over what, two weeks, at most? So, it's not really long at all. Moreover, a lot of stuff — perhaps my favorite part of the show — happens off-camera so for all we know he is still struggling. Even if he wasn't I'm sure the answer to this would be something like he was also addicted to the idea of succeeding his father and that obsessiveness distracted from his addiction.
That's not how addiction works, and the show portrayed it accurately for so long that to divert into a kind of magical realism doesn't really gel with its approach. It's also weird to be surprised at criticisms for missing beats when your answers (and favorite part of the show?) are assumptions of elisions, literally missing from the show... How can we logistically miss concrete beats that are elided and assumed, or be held accountable for that?

Black Hat

#27 Post by Black Hat » Tue May 30, 2023 7:57 pm

Well, far be it from me to go against the word of our resident Pope of all matters addiction but, nevertheless, nothing else I said was complicated, all text.

You're really telling me you didn't get that all three siblings were deeply broken people who will never repair the damage done to them as a result of being born into that family?

Now, if your reply was focused on the addiction aspect, that's not the show. Moreover, I don't think you can say with certainty he was "cured". Once an addict always an addict, right? It's one day at a time and he, I'm sure was battling, but do we need to see it? I'll always side with respecting the audience's ability to figure it out. Perhaps the disconnect is because you look at Kendall's addiction as his defining characteristic, it's what you attached yourself to, but I think, as Murdoch showed, it wasn't front of mind for most of the audience. Perhaps it's a fair critique to not make that struggle more apparent but, going in that direction would have changed the show entirely. That said, the existence of that seed is I think why people called it a "devastating" end. They know he's falling deep into the black.

beamish14

#28 Post by beamish14 » Tue May 30, 2023 8:05 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 7:57 pm
Well, far be it from me to go against the word of our resident Pope of all matters addiction but, nevertheless, nothing else I said was complicated, all text.

You're really telling me you didn't get that all three siblings were deeply broken people who will never repair the damage done to them as a result of being born into that family?

Now, if your reply was focused on the addiction aspect, that's not the show. Moreover, I don't think you can say with certainty he was "cured". Once an addict always an addict, right? It's one day at a time and he, I'm sure was battling, but do we need to see it? I'll always side with respecting the audience's ability to figure it out. Perhaps the disconnect is because you look at Kendall's addiction as his defining characteristic, it's what you attached yourself to, but I think, as Murdoch showed, it wasn't front of mind for most of the audience. Perhaps it's a fair critique to not make that struggle more apparent but, going in that direction would have changed the show entirely. That said, the existence of that seed is I think why people called it a "devastating" end. They know he's falling deep into the black.

All four siblings. Connor was often used as comedic relief, but there is a huge amount of underlying sadness and anger simmering. I’m rewatching some of the older episodes, and his petulant outburst at a catering staff that serves no purpose except to show his impotence in the face of people who wield actual power is a very remarkable moment. I’m fascinated by how his relationship with girlfriend turned eventual wife Willa develops, as she makes up for deficits in talent by eventually acquiescing to a state of near-love, or at least reciprocated warmth for her partner. Connor’s mother was treated like a woman in a Tennessee Williams play based on the small snatches of information we receive

therewillbeblus

#29 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue May 30, 2023 8:11 pm

Of course I noticed (/understood that the show is all about) the siblings’ “brokenness,” and I’m agreeing that he’s not cured.. I was pointing out that the show isn’t documenting how alcohol would affect him within these incidents of drinking we see on camera that play out in real time, which is inconsistent with what we’ve seen before from the same real-time incidents. Doesn’t matter that it’s a two week period if the addict who can’t stop once he starts is suddenly able to start and stop under the same conditions. It’s an inconsistency within the show, not some esoteric addiction thing I’m trying to get on a podium about. Anyways, not trying to fight you on this - was genuinely confused about what read to me as antithetical statements from your post, no need to get nasty. I’m glad you enjoyed the show.

Black Hat

#30 Post by Black Hat » Wed May 31, 2023 4:49 pm

beam - good call in remembering Connor. I think it said a lot that he was there for the dinner and Logan allowed him to make fun of him. I think it was the strongest scene of the finale. On the other hand, the aspect I wasn't the most keen on was the relationship with Willa reverting to being a couple in name only.

twbb - No qualms from me man. I'm just confused about what would have made this consistent.