The Simpsons

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Antoine Doinel

#76 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu May 24, 2007 4:14 pm

cdnchris wrote:It took for-freaking-ever for me to get my package. I believe they said 4-6 weeks, but it was more like 9. I'm in Canada, though, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
That's good to know. Got Season 6 box at Xmas and finally decided to deal with getting the new box and sent in everything over a month ago. I guess by the end of the summer I'll have it.

dx23

#77 Post by dx23 » Thu May 24, 2007 5:59 pm

Matt wrote:
dx23 wrote:And by the way, i think this thread, along with the Futurama one should go on the FOX sub-forum
Beloved though they are, these shows are not considered classic films.
You are right, chief.

Gregory

#78 Post by Gregory » Thu May 24, 2007 6:06 pm

There is something seriously wrong when we accept Porky's and the Die Hard movies as "classics" for that sub-forum but not these Simpsons series because they were originally broadcast on TV.
(I'm saying this mostly in jest -- not to start the discussion of what is and is not "classic" that I remember from a while ago.)

tryavna

#79 Post by tryavna » Thu May 24, 2007 7:20 pm

Such a discussion would be moot anyway, now that they're moving into the hellscape that is post-season 9 Simpsons.

patrick

#80 Post by patrick » Thu May 24, 2007 7:50 pm

I'll probably buy season 10, but that's it. I honestly don't even know if I want it though. I probably wouldn't even own the last two or three sets if it wasn't for either Christmas or Best Buy marking them down by a ton the first week.

jbeall

#81 Post by jbeall » Fri May 25, 2007 9:27 pm

patrick wrote:I'll probably buy season 10, but that's it. I honestly don't even know if I want it though. I probably wouldn't even own the last two or three sets if it wasn't for either Christmas or Best Buy marking them down by a ton the first week.
I've purchased seasons 2-8, but didn't bother with 9. I suppose the thing to do would be getting them on netflix and burning the increasingly rare good episodes onto a single disc.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#82 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 25, 2007 11:44 pm

I buy these for the commentaries, as long as they keep that up I'll keep it up

flyonthewall2983

#83 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat May 26, 2007 12:07 am

domino harvey wrote:I buy these for the commentaries, as long as they keep that up I'll keep it up
I'm with you there, as long as the quality of the commentaries stays afloat. And nobody brings their children in the booth with them.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#84 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 26, 2007 12:28 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
domino harvey wrote:I buy these for the commentaries, as long as they keep that up I'll keep it up
I'm with you there, as long as the quality of the commentaries stays afloat. And nobody brings their children in the booth with them.
I'm with you, except replace "children" with "Yardley Smith"

Highway 61

#85 Post by Highway 61 » Sat May 26, 2007 12:46 am

Eh, Yardley's the only member of the cast who regularly appears on the commentaries, which says a lot. She's also the only person (besides the increasingly absent Matt Groening) who routinely asks the writers and directors questions to keep the conversation interesting. Granted, I'd rather hear from virtually any other member of the cast (preferably someone who voices more the one character!), but I appreciate her efforts.

Edit: I'm especially interested in more guest star commentaries. Jay Leno's appearance was something of a revelation as he came off like an okay--and even funny--guy, unlike the shithead act does on his show.
Last edited by Highway 61 on Sat May 26, 2007 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#86 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 26, 2007 12:50 am

Sometimes I appreciate her questions, but sometimes I'm just long for the days before the actors renegotiated their contracts to let them into the sessions. They were locked out til like what, season 5 or 6?

Highway 61

#87 Post by Highway 61 » Sat May 26, 2007 12:55 am

Wow. I was totally unaware of that. Why would Fox contractually prevent them from recording a commentary? Afraid they might bash the network? Or *gasp* acknowledge the obvious fall from greatness?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#88 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 26, 2007 12:58 am

Highway 61 wrote:Wow. I was totally unaware of that. Why would Fox contractually prevent them from recording a commentary? Afraid they might bash the network? Or *gasp* acknowledge the obvious fall from greatness?
well it was more that the behind the scenes people wanted to keep the actors out of the commentaries because they don't have a lot to do with the show (they talked about this alot in the publicity for the season one DVD release) and this was when they weren't allowed to do character voices outside of the show-- when the actors renegotiated to get bigger salaries, they also got the right to do their voices on the side, which is how that Inside the Actors Studio nightmare was able to exist.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#89 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 26, 2007 1:00 am

and now that I think about it, it's Cartwright who was horrible on the commentaries, not Yardley. Apologies.

Highway 61

#90 Post by Highway 61 » Sat May 26, 2007 1:23 am

Interesting. I didn't know any of that. I'm surprised the behind-the-scenes folks actually took the effort to say that the cast wouldn't have anything substantial to contribute. Classless, if you ask me. After nine seasons of commentaries, the cast are the people I want to hear most from.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#91 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 26, 2007 1:29 am

Sorry, I'm with the producers on this one, I am more interested in the process of the writing than with how that writing was read.

Their point in the interviews etc was a lot more eloquent than I've made it sound

It's funny, the only castmember I'd be remotely interested in hearing show up is the only one who hasn't, Harry Shearer.

Highway 61

#92 Post by Highway 61 » Sat May 26, 2007 1:45 am

Don't get me wrong, I want the producers, animators, writers, etc. on the track. But they've done enough commentaries now that I feel as though I have an understanding of their working process, whereas the cast has largely been overlooked. However, I probably won't be buying the discs anymore, so it doesn't really matter.

And I agree with you Shearer. He voices almost all my favorite characters, so his absence is disapointing. But I think he's become disenchanted with the show. He's the only person (at least to my knowledge) involved with The Simpsons who has admitted that the recent seasons are shit.

flyonthewall2983

#93 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat May 26, 2007 8:30 am

I'm sorta surprised when they get guest stars from certain episodes (IE, John Waters and Jeff Goldblum being recent examples) to do commentary.

Ledos

#94 Post by Ledos » Sun May 27, 2007 2:41 pm

I only own the sets up to and including season 5 so perhaps this has been included in one of the later sets - but something I would like to see included among the extras is a feature on the "Korean animators" that we constantly hear about, sometimes dismissively it seems, but whose contributions haven't been dealt with in any serious way (at least not in the first 5 seasons).

Jeff

#95 Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:16 pm

Perhaps this is old news, but Season 6 is finally available at retail locations in real packaging...no plastic head or a paper sleeve to shove it in. I came across it in an actual honest-to-goodness digipak at the Virgin Megastore in Denver today.

flyonthewall2983

#96 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:50 pm

Jeff wrote:Perhaps this is old news, but Season 6 is finally available at retail locations in real packaging...no plastic head or a paper sleeve to shove it in. I came across it in an actual honest-to-goodness digipak at the Virgin Megastore in Denver today.
It's news to me.

Antoine Doinel

#97 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:53 pm

Jeff wrote:Perhaps this is old news, but Season 6 is finally available at retail locations in real packaging...no plastic head or a paper sleeve to shove it in. I came across it in an actual honest-to-goodness digipak at the Virgin Megastore in Denver today.
Dammit! I'm still waiting for my mail-away sleeve. :x

Joe Buck

#98 Post by Joe Buck » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:33 pm

Yeah, I spotted that too! I thought maybe it had been out for a while and I was just unaware. A part of me yearns to pick it up so I can part with my imitation mail in box, but I have to get a hold of myself. I can't waste money like that.

patrick

#99 Post by patrick » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:22 pm

A part of me yearns to pick it up so I can part with my imitation mail in box, but I have to get a hold of myself. I can't waste money like that.
I've thought about it too, and then I always get mad at myself for even thinking about doing it - but, seriously, that mail-in box is a piece of shit. Hell, I'm still mad about Fox using the cheesy "four plastic DVD trays stuck together with a piece of tape" packaging.

malcolm1980

#100 Post by malcolm1980 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:13 am

I want these Simpsons sets so bad. Especially Seasons 1 to 8 which is pretty much the Golden Era for the show.

The recent seasons aren't as good compared to the previous seasons but there are still gems to be had in it. And they're still better than Family Guy.