The Simpsons

Discuss TV shows old and new.
dx23

#51 Post by dx23 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:37 pm

Can someone post a better picture of the Homer head packaging so I can see what all the fuss is about? I haven't been able to find any pictures other than a front view.
If you read the entire thread, you could have seen the same link I'm going to post again:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3838

Billy Liar

#52 Post by Billy Liar » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:19 pm

This thread shows you why the US is such a fucked up place. Jeez it's a DVD case, a very good one at that.

Theodore R. Stockton

#53 Post by Theodore R. Stockton » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:08 am

sorry I missed the link, thanks for posting it again.

The Digital McGuffin

#54 Post by The Digital McGuffin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:44 am

Billy Liar wrote:This thread shows you why the US is such a fucked up place. Jeez it's a DVD case, a very good one at that.
I hate to burst your bubble, but you'd get exactly the same reaction here in the UK ... except we British would form ourselves into a nice orderly que for our replacement boxes.

Personally, I think it's all good fun, but is going to be one expensive gag for Fox.

The Invunche

#55 Post by The Invunche » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:58 am

Yeah, anal retentiveness knows no boundaries.

emcflat

#56 Post by emcflat » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

Website made me smile. Kind of endeared me to the whole thing. Kudos to Fox for buckling under the awesome power of grumbling microcriticism. If they are gonna make us work for it, they may as well entertain us a little bit along the way.

Mr Pixies

#57 Post by Mr Pixies » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:06 pm

I hope Criterion does something like this. Like for the future Samuel Fuller box set, the packaging would be his head.

Billy Liar

#58 Post by Billy Liar » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:12 pm

The Digital McGuffin wrote:
Billy Liar wrote:This thread shows you why the US is such a fucked up place. Jeez it's a DVD case, a very good one at that.
I hate to burst your bubble, but you'd get exactly the same reaction here in the UK ... except we British would form ourselves into a nice orderly que for our replacement boxes.

Personally, I think it's all good fun, but is going to be one expensive gag for Fox.
Tongue firmly in my cheak old bean.

But I disagree about us Brits, we love tacky merchandise, how else do you explain all those stuffed straw donkeys we bring back from Spain?

The Digital McGuffin

#59 Post by The Digital McGuffin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:00 pm

Billy Liar wrote:
Tongue firmly in my cheak old bean.

But I disagree about us Brits, we love tacky merchandise, how else do you explain all those stuffed straw donkeys we bring back from Spain?

That is indeed true, particularly because of our love of all things asinine. Boris Johnson for example.

I actually came across a British equivalent of this thread over on thedvdforums.co.uk this evening and the grumbles are there too though there certainly hasn't been as much bluster from the UK collectors. That's despite the R2 version's "12" rating logo making Homer look like he's got a zit or a stray pepperoni slice on his lip.

The aquisition of tat seems to be pretty much universal though hence the gleeful caressing by some of the latest R3 Limited Special Collector's Edition Boxset complete with collectable spice rack.

dx23

#60 Post by dx23 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:29 pm

I just recieved this and in all seriousness, this has to be the worst packaging ever. I don't really care at all of how ugly or how different it is from the other seasons packaging or even if it has a couple of dents, but this shit just crumbled in my hands!!! :x As soon as I took the tapes off the sides, the thing just dismantled in my hands worst than a chocolate chip cookie. It is completely inconvinient and I suggest that everybody calls Fox and order the other box, so they get the message clear to not do this again. I'll doubt that they'll fix it by the next set but maybe for the 8th season on we can get the normal package without any hassles.

hearthesilence

#61 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:49 pm

Yeah, the plastic is pretty cheap. I expected something thicker and more durable, something resembling yellow, opaque Tupperware, but the way it's made, it feels disposable.

hearthesilence

#62 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:52 pm

And to repeat a previous question, did anyone get their hands on the alternate box yet? You know, the one Fox is offering after releasing a sarcastic/funny ad allowing you to trade the plastic Homer head package for a standard cardboard box closer to the packaging offered on the previous five seasons? I'm guessing they've been manufactured by now.

Anyway, if Fox does this again, I doubt sales will be hurt by much, if at all. Outside of home taping edited syndicated reruns, there aren't any alternatives.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#63 Post by dekadetia » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:30 pm

Anyone get their alternative packaging yet?
I didn't, but simpsonscollectors.com has a post from someone who did:
"JeffBagwellRules", simpsonscollectors.com wrote:"Its a little different than the past boxes were. There is actually no top to it. I guess we are to slide the one from the homer head in there." He also states that the magnifying glass is transparent.
The box:

So, you're not really getting a new box here so much as a sleeve. The replacement box is designed to complement the Homer-head box, which it appears to do nicely, and it also keeps the spine uniform with the others. But it's just a sleeve, really, not unlike the ones studios package amarays in all the time, so why they wouldn't issue it this way in the first place -- for a limited time, at least -- is an even bigger mystery now than before.
Last edited by dekadetia on Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#64 Post by cdnchris » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:30 pm

I got an e-mail saying mine shipped. That was like 2 weeks ago. How long does it usually take for something to ship from California to Canada?

dx23

#65 Post by dx23 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:30 pm

Tvshowsondvd.com has the episode listing, plus a pic of the next packaging, which is Marge's head. There is an alternate packaging (regular) that will also be available for this set, so people have a choice of which packaging they prefer. To me the obvious choice is the regular one, since Marge's head looks like it wouldn't fit on a normal DVD rack. Here is the link:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4294

denti alligator

#66 Post by denti alligator » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:30 am

Ok, my check was cashed but I still haven't received my alternative packaging. Is Fox ripping me off? How do I contact them about this? Anyone else get ripped?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#67 Post by cdnchris » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:08 am

It took for-freaking-ever for me to get my package. I believe they said 4-6 weeks, but it was more like 9. I'm in Canada, though, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

montgomery

#68 Post by montgomery » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:40 pm

I finally got mine, it took about 2 months. And it's a piece of crap.

denti alligator

#69 Post by denti alligator » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:42 pm

I finally found a number, which I called and found I need to fax a copy of my cashed check to 1-888-443-4369 and wait again.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#70 Post by dekadetia » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:54 pm

DVDAnswers has the Season 7 non-head-shaped box art:

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0 ... &n=1&burl=

Looks like season 6, but should we expect a sleeve with Marge's hair peeking out of the top, or just a regular box? Who knows.

Lino

#71 Post by Lino » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:48 am

Solaris

#72 Post by Solaris » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:16 pm

Season Eight will contain an audio commentary by John Waters on episode "Homer's Phobia".

Andre Jurieu

#73 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:33 am

Solaris wrote:Season Eight will contain an audio commentary by John Waters on episode "Homer's Phobia".
Sweet! That's a classic episode:

Moe: You ever been hunting before, there, Barty?
Bart: Nope. Something about a bunch of guys alone together in the
woods... seems kinda gay.
[awkward silence]
Homer: That is a very immature attitude, young man.

Homer: Baart! Where'd you get that shirt?
Bart: I dunno. Came out of the closet.
Homer: Uhhh... huh.

dx23

#74 Post by dx23 » Thu May 24, 2007 3:32 pm

Season 10 announced. Bart Simpson head this time for the limited edition cover.

And by the way, i think this thread, along with the Futurama one should go on the FOX sub-forum

Matt

#75 Post by Matt » Thu May 24, 2007 4:09 pm

dx23 wrote:And by the way, i think this thread, along with the Futurama one should go on the FOX sub-forum
Beloved though they are, these shows are not considered classic films.