The Larry Sanders Show

Discuss TV shows old and new.
hearthesilence

The Larry Sanders Show

#1 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:12 am

Somewhat odd how NYPD Blue Season 3, NewsRadio Season 3, etc. are suddenly on the horizon after numerous complaints (in some cases, years of complaints) that studios have seemingly "given up" on many TV shows after an initial DVD release or two.

Looks Sony has FINALLY moved ahead with Larry Sanders too. You can now "sign up" for pre-orders at Amazon.com (sort of a pre-pre-order, somewhat pointless). Problem is, no date: "This title will be released on December 31, 1969." What the hell's with that?

neuro

#2 Post by neuro » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:46 am

Looks Sony has FINALLY moved ahead with Larry Sanders too
Do you have any other source for this statement other than its apparent listing on amazon?

I'm asking because "December 31, 1969" seems to be their default date for titles in limbo (whether they were postponed, aborted, etc.) The saddest part about the fate of Larry Sanders is that the original season was released prior to the "TV on DVD" boom that occurred a few years ago. I'm sure they're still using those original (poor) sales figures when determining whether to move ahead with the second season.

yumitree

#3 Post by yumitree » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:16 am

a second season set of larry sanders is not happening. a "best of" set was announced/rumored and extras were being put together, but then nothing ever really happened after that. around the time as the rumors, shandling was on leno and mentioned that a season two set was coming. the next day, that was squashed and the studio said that shandling was mistaken and was talking about the best of set.

Gregory

#4 Post by Gregory » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:39 am

hearthesilence wrote:Somewhat odd how NYPD Blue Season 3, NewsRadio Season 3, etc. are suddenly on the horizon after numerous complaints (in some cases, years of complaints) that studios have seemingly "given up" on many TV shows after an initial DVD release or two.
What's a source for the information that NewsRadio Season 3 may be coming?

Max von Mayerling

#5 Post by Max von Mayerling » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:45 am

Re: Larry Sanders. What's going on here? Is the fan base so small that the company (and aren't we talking HBO? I thought they were supposed to be mildly bold and with it) fears they can't make a dime off this? Madness! I've only seen a few episodes, but I think this is one of the greatest TV shows of all time. And the first season really doesn't do the thing justice. Bastards!

We must have the episode where Hank is opening his restaurant!
Last edited by Max von Mayerling on Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yumitree

#6 Post by yumitree » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:55 am

sitcoms online (who also report that jay mohr's show "action" will be out on dvd on feb. 21.

the reason more sanders season sets aren't coming out is because the first season set came out very early in the history of tv shows coming out on dvd. that, combined with a too high price point made the set not sell well and the network/studio much more hesitant about producing more season sets.

hearthesilence

#7 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:11 pm

It's down now, but it was at: http://sitcomsonline.blogspot.com/ that NewsRadio Season 3 was planned for Feb. 28, 2006 release.

As for Larry Sanders, I can't find much else on it. Garry Shandling was on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno and also mentioned that Season 2 would be out in the fall of 2004, but that has come and gone. Then a 3 or 4 disc "best of" set was scheduled for early 2005, and that didn't happen. So I guess it's really in limbo, even though Shandling's trying to get it done, sorry...

Fletch F. Fletch

#8 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:21 pm

From Chud:
HEY NOW! IT'S MORE LARRY SANDERS DVDS
By Devin Faraci

Last week I headed to Los Angeles to cover the Over the Hedge press junket. Garry Shandling stars in that film as Vern the Turtle, and he showed up for the roundtables, seeming incredibly uncomfortable. At the end of the interview his yellow felt tip pen exploded in his pants. Later I got my starfucker thrills listening to Bruce Willis and Shandling hang out in the hallway. Shandling remained uncomfortable.

One of the things I needed to ask Shandling about was the fate of his TV shows on DVD. The first season of Larry Sanders, his genius deconstruction of talk shows, hit DVD years ago, but there was never a follow-up. And his Garry Shandling Show, a genius deconstruction of sitcoms, has never seen the laser light of DVD. The good news is that they'll soon be spinning in your players.

Q: Are we ever going to see more Larry Sanders on DVD?

Shandling: This is so important to me. All during this [making Over the Hedge] what I was working on was putting the Larry Sanders DVDs together. They're supposed to be out in the fall, in November. That was all consuming. I'm so proud of… God knows until you see them. They said ‘What kind of special features do you want to do?' First of all, I'm not the kind of guy that likes to rehash the show and so forth and so on. I'm still learning about the show and what happened and the process is revealed. I said, ‘Just get me two hand held cameras and I'll visit people I want to visit, that I want to catch up with, that I don't get to talk to because I've been so busy and during the show I didn't get to talk to them, without any preparation.

It's very hard to describe. It is so real and unedited, so there's these sections where I talk to Sharon Stone that is real life, that goes on for thirty minutes, that's a private, intimate track. Then I talk to Tom Petty. I can't explain it other than you cannot see it coming – it's not an interview situation. I go over to his studio, I hadn't seen him in a long time. It's the core of what Larry Sanders is about, which is about being. It's a very interesting, private little track. Seinfeld – I walked through Central Park with Seinfeld, we shot four hours. That one I'll have to cut down a little bit, but it's great insight. It'll feel unedited and raw.

Q: What about the Garry Shandling Show?

Shandling: I was doing that simultaneously. They're working on that too.

tavernier

#9 Post by tavernier » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:41 pm

Now that's what I call good news! =D>

Then again, I won't get my hopes up. ](*,)

Max von Mayerling

#10 Post by Max von Mayerling » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:29 pm

As noted in the TV on DVD thread, more Larry is on the way. 23 "best of" episodes and some ... unusual supplementary material.

montgomery

#11 Post by montgomery » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:04 pm

It's good news and bad. It's fairly safe to assume that we'll never get the full series on DVD now. But any Larry Sanders is better than none, and the supplements sound interesting.
Last edited by montgomery on Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:44 pm

maybe we won't get it in R1, I keep holding out for a resurgence in popularity in another country. the Japanese love Garry Shandling, don't they

Cinesimilitude

#13 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:43 pm

Not just the Best of the Larry Sanders show.

4 discs, 23 epiosdes, and a Documentary commissioned just for this release (I assume this is shandling interviewing the people he wanted to.)

justeleblanc

#14 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:16 pm

Yeah it blows. A "best of" means they aren't going to release the full series onto DVD.

Fletch F. Fletch

#15 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:43 am

Holy crap! I didn't think that this was going to happen...

From DVDActive:
Title: The Larry Sanders Show - The Entire First Season (IMDb)
Starring: Garry Shandling
Released: 17th April 2007
SRP: $39.95

Further Details:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will also be repackaging the previous release of The Larry Sanders Show - The Entire First Season - starring Garry Shandling, Rip Torn and Jeffrey Tambor - for 17th April. Timed to coincide with the Not Just the Best of the Larry Sanders Show release, this season will be presented in a 4:3 aspect ratio using Dolby Digital Surround. There will be one featurette (Garry Shandling Talks... "No Flipping") with the set consisting of thirteen episodes spread over three discs.
Artwork: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... eason.html

justeleblanc

#16 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:47 am

I hope this is a sign for more seasons to come... I assume it is.

tavernier

#17 Post by tavernier » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:48 am

Big deal....like it says, it's a repackaging of the set that was released in 2002, which I already have. How about the other seasons, dammit?

justeleblanc

#18 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:17 am

tavernier wrote:Big deal....like it says, it's a repackaging of the set that was released in 2002, which I already have. How about the other seasons, dammit?
But why would they repackage it, if they werent planning on releasing the other seasons as well?

tavernier

#19 Post by tavernier » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:24 am

All the press about the new Larry Sanders box makes it sound like that new set will be all we'll get, so repackaging the first box makes sense to get all the fans who already don't have it to ante up.

Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we'll see the other seasons. This is a lazy way to make more money without putting in the grunt work to create new boxed sets.

Narshty

#20 Post by Narshty » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:52 pm

Apparently music rights within the episodes are proving to be a huge stumbling block for the complete season sets at the moment. You can watch, as far as I'm aware, every single episode on YouTube at the moment (just search for 'Larry' plus the episode number, ie. "Larry04", "Larry28", etc.).

jon abbey

#21 Post by jon abbey » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:01 am

my brother recently bought a bootleg set of all six seasons on eBay, and I'm gradually rewatching them. certainly not ideal quality, but better than nothing.

so I'm up to late second season, and tonight I saw the episode with the Entertainment Weekly reporter back-stage, filmed in 1993. what was kind of freaky was that the guests were John Ritter, Gene Siskel and Warren Zevon, all of whom are now dead. definitely made it a bit hard to watch...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: TV on DVD

#22 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:59 pm

The Larry Sanders Show: The Complete Series coming later this year!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#23 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:01 pm

YES YES YES YES YES

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Oh man, and the Norm Show is coming from Shout! too! I still use his line from the show in response to someone saying "gyp": "That's an insult to my rich gypsy heritage!"

Highway 61

#25 Post by Highway 61 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:09 pm

swo17 wrote:The Larry Sanders Show: The Complete Series coming later this year!
Thank God! I was beginning to think we'd never see this. Hopefully, Shout Factory produces better transfers for this than for the other two DVD releases of the show.