Star Wars Holiday Special

Discuss TV shows old and new.
manicsounds

Star Wars Holiday Special

#1 Post by manicsounds » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:16 am

from imdb:
Lucas Wants TV 'Star Wars' Film Banned

Moviemaker George Lucas wants his first Star Wars sequel banned, as he is so disappointed with its quality. The one-off, two-hour-long The Star Wars Holiday Special was originally screened on the CBS network in 1978 and tells the story of Chewbacca's journey home with Hans Solo to celebrate Life Day with his family. During the course of the much-maligned movie, Carrie Fisher's beautiful Leia is seen reducing Hans Solo and Luke Skywalker to tears with a song. A contributor on the Star Wars website comments, "The Holiday Special has always been the red-headed step child of the Star Wars family." While a source at LucasFilm adds, "The Holiday Special was the biggest f***-up ever. The Force was definitely not with Mr. Lucas the day that doozy was born."

The Fanciful Norwegian

#2 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:23 am

Lucas' opinion of the Holiday Special isn't exactly a secret. I'm not even sure what "news" the IMDb is reporting here; the headline and the opening sentence ("Lucas calls for banning of own film!") seems sensational enough, until you read the rest of the "article" and notice that nowhere do they actually quote Lucas as saying any such thing. Lucas obviously wants it suppressed and has done a pretty good job of doing so -- unless I'm mistaken, the only copies circulating are dupes made from an off-air home video recording of the original 1978 broadcast, although such copies are easy to come by -- but that's hardly tantamount to a "ban." And I honestly don't know what to make of the fact that the IMDb is using message board posters as news sources and openly admitting it; I am impressed, however, that they have a secret source inside Lucasfilm for the sole purpose of providing witty zingers.

Anyway, if you want to see it, the bootlegs are out there. Supper Happy Fun sells it, among others; you can also download it from the usual suspects (Bittorrent, eMule, etc.). The Unknown Movies has a fairly comprehensive review, but if you just want a one-sentence summary to whet your appetite, here it is: it's a "Star Wars" Christmas special (with everything that entails, including musical numbers) with Harvey Korman and Bea Arthur. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time...

manicsounds

#3 Post by manicsounds » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:07 am

Well it's for sure that no incarnation of it will ever be released officially on DVD.
No matter how much anyone wants to petition.....
I personally have never seen it, but I do have a guilty pleasure of wanting to.

George really likes to censor his own older work.

tristan

#4 Post by tristan » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:12 am

Thanks for the links Josh. I'm a big Star Wars fan, and have always wanted to see this. The animated part sounds pretty cool. I need to buy it or download it.

rumz

#5 Post by rumz » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:17 am

I have seen this and it is horrible. Horrible, that is as in brilliant.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#6 Post by cdnchris » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:33 am

My buddy's brother has I swear every bootleg ever available and he has/had this. I watched it when I was much younger and even then it was absolutely brutal!! But now I must watch it again. I have to find out when he's coming back home so I can borrow it maybe (he had dreams of being a filmmaker but now he's in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick fishing.) I don't remember much clearly but the animation was pretty crappy and the whole thing reaked of cheese.

Tommy Sleeb

#7 Post by Tommy Sleeb » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:41 pm

I watched this about 10 years ago and it was excrutiating. It is poossibly the biggest train wreck in network television history. The thing is that it's really boring b/c it involves Chewbacca's family and so fully half of the dialogue is wookie grunting. It does need to be seen to be believed but once is more than enough.

cafeman

#8 Post by cafeman » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:47 pm

Watching the recent SW flicks made me yearn for more indecipherable speech. Maybe in a language I can`t understand, those lines would be easier to buy.

denti alligator

#9 Post by denti alligator » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:38 pm

I will remain convinced this is some kind of hoax until I see it, which should be soon, since I'm downloading it from emule as we speak.

zedz

#10 Post by zedz » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:23 pm

No hoax: I saw this when it came out, and even at an impressionable age I was not impressed. As I recall it was pretty much exactly like a cheesy network TV show Christmas Special, but with the central sitcom family badly in need of a full body shave.

dx23

#11 Post by dx23 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:37 pm

The animated part sounds pretty cool.
If I'm not mistaken, that animated feature was the "famous" debut for Bobba Fett.

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#12 Post by Faux Hulot » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:42 am

denti alligator wrote:I will remain convinced this is some kind of hoax until I see it, which should be soon, since I'm downloading it from emule as we speak.
I'm afraid it's all too nightmarishly real:

leo goldsmith

#13 Post by leo goldsmith » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:42 am

Coincidentally (?), I caught about 15 seconds of this at Kim's Video in the Village this evening. Total crap. I saw Harvey Corman and was convinced I was watching a Mel Brooks home movie.

Wow, check it out -- Lesson in Love is on Channel 11 at 1:30!

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#14 Post by Faux Hulot » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:02 am

leo goldsmith wrote:Wow, check it out -- Lesson in Love is on Channel 11 at 1:30!
I was wondering how long it was going to take someone to catch that... 8)

Fletch F. Fletch

#15 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:43 am

Faux Hulot wrote:
leo goldsmith wrote:Wow, check it out -- Lesson in Love is on Channel 11 at 1:30!
I was wondering how long it was going to take someone to catch that...
More importantly, Gabe Kaplan was on Hollywood Squares!

"Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back...." :lol:

Matt

#16 Post by Matt » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:16 am

I wonder if George Lucas will doubt his marketing decisions again in another twenty years when reminded of this awesome, awesome invention:

milk114

#17 Post by milk114 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:40 pm

hehehe... darth tater

I've seen this accursed holiday special and must say that watching something that is one-third in Wookie grunts is not appealing. Neither is a Star Wars tie-in that doesn't feature any Star Wars characters or advance the plot in any way. This type of thinking is what created the Ewok adventures, though they had some pesky kids to hang around and for the audience to relate to (and how did they decipher those grunts). This special can be found on peer-to-peer thingies... a friend made a dvd of it with shitty (on purpose) graphics on the cover and menu. Horrible time for all.

dx23

#18 Post by dx23 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:47 pm

That's just .... beautiful!

bcsparker

#19 Post by bcsparker » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:15 am

I haven't seen the special, but to anyone who wants to, it is available on DVD from www.revok.com. View at your own risk!

timothy.newsum

#20 Post by timothy.newsum » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:56 pm

If you're in the mood for an endurance-trial, the Star Wars Holiday Special is up at YouTube:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DV6pze5YS2w

Anthony

#21 Post by Anthony » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:13 pm

I just watched the SWHS. My god, George Lucas should be taken outside and horse-whipped for that monstrosity. The best part was Carrie Fisher singing at the end. My cousin could have done a better animation segment. And I just loved :roll: the Jefferson Starship performance. At first I laughed, then I cried, then I fast forwarded, then I cheered when it was all over. :lol:

Antoine Doinel

#22 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:54 am

Phil Hall at FilmThreat ran a great piece about the special: http://www.filmthreat.com/index.php?sec ... res&Id=888

Joe Buck

#23 Post by Joe Buck » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:40 pm

the Holiday special is almost like a test-run for the Prequels. Stupid garbage. See what happens when you let Lucas sit in the directors chair?

Antoine Doinel

#24 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:23 pm

Joe Buck wrote:the Holiday special is almost like a test-run for the Prequels. Stupid garbage. See what happens when you let Lucas sit in the directors chair?
Actually, he had nothing to do with this production. The characters were licensed out leading to this abomination of a production. No wonder he became an insane perfectionist/revisionist......

barnyard078

#25 Post by barnyard078 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:24 pm

I'm sorry, but Bob Crane on Love, American Style? We know what style Bob Crane liked his love. :wink: