Discuss TV shows old and new.
Crocky

#76 Post by Crocky » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:02 am

Ashirg wrote:Up Series?
Yep ! :D Thank you very much Ashrig

cdnchris
Site Admin

#77 Post by cdnchris » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:28 pm

I wanted to start a separate thread but didn't want to take on the wrath of anyone so I'm placing it here.

I watched The Office series again for what must be the 10th time since I got the DVDs (I haven't bought the Special yet), and it just gets funnier each time I watch it. There's so many good lines in there and I wish I could go around quoting them but I don't know how to work "do it yourself! I gotta save some Africans!" into a conversation while flipping them off. Plus I don't know anybody else that watches it so it would be even more awkward.

I also actually shed a tear at the very end. I always found it sad when
SpoilerShow
David gets fired
but for some reason his upset got to me more this time around.

I do have some questions for the Brits here (or anybody that knows), and please pardon my ignorance:

Is Red Nose day an actual day throughout the country that everyone participates in, or was that something that just applied to that office?

Is "quid" slang for a pound (like "buck" is slang for a dollar)? (That's something I've meant to ask for years but never did)

Is Slough really as bad as it looks?

Anyways, just had to mention the show. Anybody that hasn't watched it yet really has to find some way to. Great stuff!

"'Dutch girls must be punished for having big boobs'. Now you do not punish a girl, Dutch or otherwise, for having big boobs."

Andre Jurieu

#78 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:34 pm

cdnchris wrote:"'Dutch girls must be punished for having big boobs'. Now you do not punish a girl, Dutch or otherwise, for having big boobs."
"If anything they should be rewarded."

cdnchris
Site Admin

#79 Post by cdnchris » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:35 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote:
cdnchris wrote:"'Dutch girls must be punished for having big boobs'. Now you do not punish a girl, Dutch or otherwise, for having big boobs."
"If anything they should be rewarded."
"No, they should be equal"

ben d banana

#80 Post by ben d banana » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:40 pm

Chris, get the special. Now!

Yes, quid = pound.

Slough gets worked into TV in-jokes now, recently referenced on an episode of Lost and on an episode of my beloved Brit soap Coronation Street one of the teens/early 20's was considering a move for a job there, but mis-pronounced it Sluff.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#81 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:52 pm

I just thought I'd give a quick shout out to the new "Battlestar Galactica" series, the pilot mini-series of which is available now (with the R2 Season One set due in April). As much as I hated the original show, this one kicks a good ten or twenty kinds of ass.

-BJ

Steven H

#82 Post by Steven H » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:57 pm

No intention of derailing the Office talk, but I just had to say "oh boy!"

I don't have a high speed internet connection or cable, so these Adult Swim DVDs are (mostly) the only exposure to this high quality animated comedy business.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#83 Post by cdnchris » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:04 pm

ben d banana wrote:Chris, get the special. Now!
I'm thinking I'll be getting it this weekend after that endorsement. If I knew they would put out a set I would have waited, but that's what I get. Oh well. I got a lot of enjoyment out of the DVDs so I guess it was worth it.

Thanks for the answers as well. I suspected quid meant pound, but wanted to make sure.

colinr0380

#84 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:09 am

cdnchris wrote: Is Red Nose day an actual day throughout the country that everyone participates in, or was that something that just applied to that office?
Yes, it is this Friday!

I can remember for one Red Nose Day about eight years ago the school I went to arranged to have the police turn up and arrest the headmaster during the morning assembly! They handcuffed him and led him to the car in front of the whole school. Unfortunately they let him go at the top of the road!

I'm not certain but I think the episode of The Vicar of Dibley which Johnny Depp appeared in was for Red Nose Day. This year is a special edition of The Archers (I still fondly remember the theme tune being used for the mothers first zombie attack in Peter Jackson's Braindead (Dead Alive)!)
Choose a famous Archers listener to appear in a special celebrity episode of the Archers: Victoria goes to Ambridge.

Victoria Wood, a devoted Archers fan, has written a series of mini-episodes ending with a starring role for a celebrity - and you get the chance to vote for who gets that role.

The four famous Archers fans taking part are: Ewan McGregor, Stephen Fry, Liza Tarbuck and Sir Ian McKellen. They have all put themselves up for the public vote in a bid to perform the starring role (the rest will have to be content with a line or two). Over the week listeners will hear the celebs argue their cases on the Today programme.
Is Slough really as bad as it looks?
As bad as anywhere else! I can't badmouth towns because the town next door to the one where I work was at one time named the ugliest village in Britain by a poll on BBC Radio 5! I guess that is because all the traffic has to go through the centre of Dove Holes, that the view from the train when it reaches the station is a junkyard, that most trains do not stop there anymore, and that there are not many facilities to speak of. It's still a bit harsh though!

Actually just found Dove Holes' (weird) claim to fame! The Northern UFO News in published there!

I actually can't bring myself to watch The Office because I already work in such a place! And instead of one David Brent we have four! I can watch Bergman but The Office would be too harrowing - maybe if I get a better job sometime!

Polybius

#85 Post by Polybius » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:05 am

Buttery Jeb wrote:I just thought I'd give a quick shout out to the new "Battlestar Galactica" series, the pilot mini-series of which is available now (with the R2 Season One set due in April). As much as I hated the original show, this one kicks a good ten or twenty kinds of ass.
Agreed, completely. I picked up the miniseries 2 discer the other day.

Ron Moore, who wrote many fine episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is the moving force behind it. It's far, far superior to the Glen Larson junk that it shares only a title with. A more mature, more thoughtful and deeper reimagining of the concept (granted, not difficult in a relative way...)

The Invunche

#86 Post by The Invunche » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:32 am

Also, its full of hot bitches.

godardslave

#87 Post by godardslave » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:07 pm

The Invunche wrote:Also, its full of hot bitches.
just like those naughty russ meyer films? #-o hubba hubba!

richast2

#88 Post by richast2 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:01 pm

yumitree wrote:as many people i know and other boards i frequent have (like me) found this to be some of the best news i've heard in the past year or so, i will repost my thoughts on the disc's extras:
the rumors (that my friends and i have started after careful consideration of the announced facts) is that the season 1 dvd will contain all of season 1 (eight episodes) and 4 of the 5 episode length specials, omitting "what we did on our summer vacations" probably for music rights issues (even though two versions exist, one with the original REM music and one for subsequent airings with the music replaced by polaris originals).

i doubt that the original shorts will be on this disc and am not sure if those will ever be released.
according to tvshowsondvd, it's 2 discs, 8 episodes, with 4 specials, the shorts, "Polaris Music Station," and commentaries. I, for one, can't wait.

yumitree

#89 Post by yumitree » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:52 pm

see, 4 of the 5 specials... my bet is the one that's not on there is summer vacation.

still, very much excitement.

Polybius

#90 Post by Polybius » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:49 pm

The Invunche wrote:Also, its full of hot bitches.
"Features a..." would be my preferred honorific. I'm not that into Tricia Helfer.

Grace Park, however...

Fletch F. Fletch

#91 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:54 am

The first two seasons of Moonlighting are finally coming out on DVD. It's about time!

From TV Shows on DVD:
Online retailer DVDPlanet.com has added a pre-order listing for Moonlighting - Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. The listing reveals that the cost of the 6-DVD set will be $49.95 SRP (but of course the e-tailer discounts it; an advance order from them currently goes for just $34.97). They show the release date to be Tuesday, May 31st.

We've recently reported on extras for this release:

* Commentaries from Cast & Crew, including Cybill Shepard, Bruce Willis, and creator Glenn Caron
* Commentary from the President of the Moonlighting Fan Club
* Featurettes, including a spotlight on the show's fans
* Premium Packaging for the DVDs, with what should be 25 hours of episodes from the first two seasons

Also, in a Wired News report posted yesterday that I was heavily quoted in, "Copyrights Keep TV Shows off DVD", reporter Katie Dean confirms a previous report that there are NO music issues with this release: "the first two seasons of the show are scheduled for release...with the music intact, " Dean reports. The same article was accompanied by the first look at the cover art for Moonlighting - Seasons 1 and 2, graciously provided by Lions Gate, and here it is for you to enjoy!

Harold Gervais

#92 Post by Harold Gervais » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:56 pm

Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Well, if this news is legit, my week has been made. TV Shows on DVD provides the early possible scoop:
The folks at The Sci Fi Channel run a great website. Not only does it cover and promote shows and events tied to the cable network, but it truly reaches out to science fiction fans with genre-related info that may not be directly related to their broadcasts. One of the cool things at their site along those lines is the Events Calendar. It lists dates for SciFi channel events like premieres of special shows and so forth, but also lists film openings, convention dates, book releases...and now DVD release dates as well, it seems.

Many of the DVDs you'll find on their master list are for releases we've already talked about, including the dates of all four seasons of Enterprise. The big surprise, though, are some end-of-the-year release dates for 5 highly anticipated sets from Univesal Studios Home Video!

Kolchak, The Night Stalker is one of those titles, and the SciFi.com events calendar is reporting a 10/04/2005 release date for it!

We tried to get Universal to comment on this, but they would neither confirm nor deny that schedule. What came up is that, if this DID represent the current plans for that set's release, we have to realize that plans can always change. Nothing that far off is set in stone, and we think our readers here at TVShowsOnDVD are among the best on the 'Net at realizing that. Still, it's good to know that it's that much on the radar, and even if that doesn't turn out to be the exact date, it seems to be coming!

Our thanks to two readers who tipped us off to these items being on the schedule: Michael Dormany and Jason Shanker. Stay tuned, and we'll keep you posted about this title, and the others on that listing, as soon as we hear more!

oldsheperd

#93 Post by oldsheperd » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:03 pm

Seinfeld season 4 is slated for May 17th. No word on if season 5 will be released too.

richast2

#94 Post by richast2 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:08 pm

Finally they've sped up the production of these. I was getting sick of one season a year.

from Tom Fontana's website: June 21st is the release date for the Season 5 OZ DVD. Look for the Season 6 DVD in September.

The Invunche

#95 Post by The Invunche » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:04 pm

That's great news. Oz was a fantastic show.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#96 Post by cdnchris » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:16 pm

I think I read on one of those Sopranos websites that Season 5 was coming out in June, rather than November. I take fan site news lightly but I'm hoping it's true as I completely missed the last season (though I had a major plot point spoiled for me, those media bastards!) Anybody have any news as to whether this is true or not?

godardslave

#97 Post by godardslave » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:37 am

can someone please explain whats so good about "freaks and geeks"? im thinking of buying it.

Martha

#98 Post by Martha » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:40 am

godardslave wrote:can someone please explain whats so good about "freaks and geeks"? im thinking of buying it.

Off the top of my head: phenomenal, squirm-inducingly real writing that takes its characters and their problems seriously, wonderful, fully developed characters, and great acting. It's really beyond wonderful-- my expectations were sky-high and they were surpassed in seconds. It's consistently leaves me sitting there with my mouth hanging open, wondering how in the hell I got to the point where I cared enough about these people to cry about their (fictional) lives. (I hesitate to say this for fear of driving people away, but the only show since that I think is even in the same universe in terms of quality is Joan of Arcadia. It affects me exactly the same way.)

godardslave

#99 Post by godardslave » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:37 pm

Martha wrote:Off the top of my head: phenomenal, squirm-inducingly real writing
now im really interested. thanks martha.

Harold Gervais

#100 Post by Harold Gervais » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:13 pm

=D> I'm smiling from ear-to-ear as I post this. Complete seasons of The Muppet Show loaded with extras. Best news I'll probably see all week. Details from TV Shows on DVD:
We've had word since last Fall that The Muppet Show was coming to DVD in season sets sometime in 2005. Now the folks at MuppetCentral.com have posted a huge update on the situation. Click that link to read the entire story, but here are some fabulous highlights:

Fact or Fiction: The Muppet Show DVD season sets

Season 1 is slated for release by the end of 2005

By Greg James

March 20, 2005

...After talking with several insiders about the DVD sets, some information has been collected and gathered. Please remember that until there is an official announcement from Disney, anything listed can potentially change...(but) The Muppet Show - The Complete First Season should be in stores by the end of the year.

The video is reported to be transferred from their original British (PAL) tapes,...will be unedited and will contain the UK skits. This goes to show how Disney is trying to create a collection of the episodes like never seen before.

Although at this point, the inclusion of the original season 1 opening sequence is still undetermined. Apparently there are strong arguments for including the original openings, and also powerful reasons for not including them. The answer of which it will be has flip-flopped back and forth throughout the set's production and the final outcome is not available at this time.

...Many fans wondered if these season sets would include any of the show's pilots or specials. The answer to this is yes. Disney does plan on including several of the historic Muppet Show pilots and specials.

...Many Henson employees, performers, and fans have been interviewed on film for bonus material. These include: Craig Shemin, Jerry Juhl, Jerry Nelson, Dave Goelz, Carroll Spinney, and Michael Frith - just to name a few. It is not definite how these interviews will be used, but it probably means there will be a great collection of information on these sets.

One feature that has been confirmed is trivia and other factual information. This will expose all kinds of things about the show, the characters, the skits and songs, and much more (even the die-hard Muppet Show fans will learn something). The information, facts, and trivia for the sets was provided and created with the help of Michael Dixon (webmaster of Kermitage.com), Craig Shemin, Dave Goelz and Jerry Juhl. The information was gathered and provided by people who really know the Muppet Show inside and out, and really shows the dedication of Disney to produce quality sets.

Disney has stated that they want to make the best possible sets and it seems like they are...An official announcement of the season 1 DVD features, release date, retail price, and more should be released by The Muppet Holding Company and Disney Home Entertainment later this year...

Great news in there! Our thanks to the folks at Muppet Central for the humongous update, and to a number of readers, starting with Paul Henderson, for the heads-up about the news. Stay tuned, and we'll bring you updates about any developments as they occur.