The Monkees

Discuss TV shows old and new.
OliverB

The Monkees

#1 Post by OliverB » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:47 pm

I've had Season 2 on order from DVDPlanet since early June and it's still back ordered with no estimated shipping date...

Rhino Home Video seems to have this set in stock and if I remember, I've previously read that there was some sort of distribution issue with these sets which may account for it being out of stock at nearly every single online retailer I've checked with for the past year plus.

DVDPlanet has 45 of these sets on order with 42 reserved for customers so the fact that the orders haven't been canceled leaves me with some confidence.

I'm just curious if anybody has anymore info or knows anything more about this... I might send an email to Rhino customer service to ask why the hell it's taking so long to send DVDPlanet their stock!

dx23

#2 Post by dx23 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:11 pm

It went out of print. If you really want it, I recommed that you get it wherever you can find it even if it is at MSRP. The last time these sets went OOP, they tripled their value in the secondary market.

OliverB

#3 Post by OliverB » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:36 pm

dx23 wrote:It went out of print. If you really want it, I recommed that you get it wherever you can find it even if it is at MSRP. The last time these sets went OOP, they tripled their value in the secondary market.
Are you 100% sure of this?

Rhino is still selling it on their website for $79.95

I was suspicious of it's status as of last year when almost every single online retailer and local DVD outlet was unavailable and out of stock of this title.

But since then, somebody on the Home Theater Forum posted information that they had contacted the vp or somebody in the know at Rhino Home Video and was told that the set was NOT out of print.

Also, if that's the case then why would DVDPlanet not have received this information and still be filling orders?

I was told that they had 45 boxes on order and 42 units on hold (i.e. purchased on backorder for customers)

I'm not sure what to believe because something is obviously fishy with this set, but I don't exactly want to spend $100 for a single season of a TV show. I got the 1st for less than half that price at DVDPlanet over the summer...

I wish we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt whether this set was really out of print or not. I'm going to send Rhino an email right now.

Thanks for the link though, I'll read through all of the posts and see if there's been any updates since.

Browsing through that thread I also see that Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation has apparently gone OOP... I'm sure this will still be an easy find at bargain bin costs online but I wonder why that happened? Another one I'd been meaning to pick up.

This is growing more frustrating by the minute... I wanted to see what the total damage would be with shipping through Rhino's store so I added the S2 set to my cart and went through the checkout process only to receive the following message:

We regret that we are unable to ship your order to Canada.

Please change your shipping country or empty your shopping cart.

What... Why??

They clearly ship internationally as they have rates and information for many countries, provinces, etc. Why can't this box set be shipped?!

dx23

#4 Post by dx23 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:34 pm

Mcarver has been pretty accurate on his listings. Rhino is famous for letting licenses expire, so it doesn't surprise me that the set has gone oop. If you can't find it in any retailer I suggest that you check then Ebay or some trade forums that may have it.

htdm

#5 Post by htdm » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:33 am

Deep Discount was shipping these as recent as the last 20% sale.

OliverB

#6 Post by OliverB » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks guys, I just find it strange that they'd let their cash cow expire... The Monkees were one of Rhino's brightest properties. They even had a separate section in the FAQ on their website indicating that due to the constant amount of telephone calls and inqueries about the Monkees, they had initiated a 24hour customer service line for all Monkees related questions and news. Strange that they would simply let such a hugely viable commercial property expire.

I guess I should cancel my order with DVDPlanet this afternoon because they obviously won't be receiving any more stock if these sets are in fact out of print. Does anyone know of another online retailer that accepts PayPal that might be stocking S2?

If not, II guess 'll take it to eBay.

Looks like I got the generic customer service response from Rhino:
Dear Oliver,

Thanks for your email. Season Two is currently available and can be ordered at the following link:

http://rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.la ... ber=970128

Season One is not currently available. I have no other information available on these titles, at this time. Please stay tuned to www.rhino.com for any developments.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Dr. Rhino
I've followed up with a second email. I want to get a definitive answer on the status of these sets.

OliverB

#7 Post by OliverB » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am

Thank you very much for the response.

I realize however, the availability of these titles on your website but it's possible that they may simply be leftover stock that Rhino is selling off and when they're gone -- that's it.

I would like to know, if more sets are being produced; i.e. whether or not they are still in print and being circulated/distributed to retail.

I'd really appreciate an answer in regards to this as I have pending orders at several retailers in which sets are backordered and yet who claim they will be restocked. I am doubtful since they have not been available at most retailers for many, many, many months.

I'd like to get a definitive answer on whether or not they are in print and still being produced.

Cheers & Thanks,
Oliver
Dear Oliver,

Thanks for your email. I'm sorry, but I have no other information available beyond what I've communicated previously. I can tell you that these titles have not been listed as "out of print" at this time.

Dr. Rhino
What????? Why is the company that produces these DVDs not able to tell me whether or not they are still in print?

pianocrash

#8 Post by pianocrash » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:41 am

OliverB wrote:Why is the company that produces these DVDs not able to tell me whether or not they are still in print?
A newer pressing of the first season could have hit a snag, either legal-wise or manufacturing-wise, and I would guess that divulging either of those scenarios would impact the secondary market of the missing-in-action set (or sets), even temporarily. Worst case scenario: wait for the oncoming/eventual Blu-Ray versions, but I wouldn't think that would happen for at least another couple of years, and I know you'd rather have the DVDs anyway. Again, that would be a licensing issue, and I wouldn't think that the Monkees would abandon Rhino with their distribution arms and their already 20+ years of association so easily, but you never really know, do you? In the meantime, go make a sandwich and chill out! I'm still waiting for a watchable version of Head to come out, but I'm on my eightieth turkey club. :x

Tolmides

#9 Post by Tolmides » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:07 pm

Damn, and here I was thinking on opening this thread up that I'd be able to discuss the musical greatness of the Monkees with you all. #-o

dx23

#10 Post by dx23 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:17 pm

I imagine that you have Season 1 Oliver, but if not, Amazon.com has right now in stock from $71.99.

dx23

Re: The Monkees

#11 Post by dx23 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:45 pm

Season 2 is back in-stock at Amazon.com.