It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Discuss TV shows old and new.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:16 pm

Fourth season began last night. Does anyone else here really like this show? It hasn't really lost any steam, mostly thanks to the Charlie character, who is so infectiously energetic that he drives the comedy sometimes all by himself. Next week, two more new episodes, including the hilariously titled Dennis Reynolds: An Erotic Life.

Everyone who hasn't seen this yet, the DVDs are on frequent rotation for me, and are definitely worth even a blind buy.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:23 pm

I've seen a few episodes and while it can be very funny, there are a disproportionate amount of jokes and scenarios which just make me feel bad. The callousness of the characters is ultimately a bit much.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:41 pm

That's true, but I think most of the cruelty of the characters is directed towards each other, which makes it easier to stomach, as they're all scoundrels. But it's definitely cringe television beyond even The Office or Curb Your Enthusiasm.

flyonthewall2983

#4 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:49 pm

domino harvey wrote:I've seen a few episodes and while it can be very funny, there are a disproportionate amount of jokes and scenarios which just make me feel bad. The callousness of the characters is ultimately a bit much.
Not to brag, but I saw half an episode and came up with that much. I wonder if David Lynch is a fan, considering his hatred of the city.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#5 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:56 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
domino harvey wrote:I've seen a few episodes and while it can be very funny, there are a disproportionate amount of jokes and scenarios which just make me feel bad. The callousness of the characters is ultimately a bit much.
Not to brag, but I saw half an episode and came up with that much. I wonder if David Lynch is a fan, considering his hatred of the city.
...huh? None of that made any sense. Domino said it can be very funny, it didn't take him a few episodes to figure out that it's a bit too callous for his tastes. And the show could be set anywhere, the Lynch reference doesn't work.

Murdoch

#6 Post by Murdoch » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:58 pm

I love the show and can't get enough of the characters, especially Dennis who seems to be the worst of the gang. I was apprehensive about DeVito joining the cast at first, but he's added a lot to the show and I really enjoyed the Frank-Charlie-Dennis/Dee paternal triangle. What I want to know is how Dee got the nickname Sweet Dee, I find it creepy how Dennis calls her it being her brother and all. I hate how they killed off Dennis/Dee's mom, she added a lot to the show.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#7 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:00 pm

Murdoch wrote:I hate how they killed off Dennis/Dee's mom, she added a lot to the show.
It paved the way for a great episode, though.

Dennis is at his funniest when he's at his most self-absorbed. When he stopped eating for a few days because his cheeks looked puffy, it made for some great physical comedy.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:02 pm

I still really like the show, but I think most of the strongest episodes were pre-Danny DeVito. Still, it doesn't get much better than the one where they all sleep with each other's moms for revenge.

LQ

#9 Post by LQ » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:12 pm

I get such deliciously wicked pleasure out of watching the first two seasons but I really felt last season was hit-or-miss. (it did have one of the biggest "hits" ever though with "Bums: making a mess all over the city". that junkyard cat!!!! whew. That ranks as one of my favorite episodes of any comedy show, ever) If the two last night were any indication, I think this new slew of eps will be amazing. Here's a recent interview with Rob McElhenney, Glenn Howerton, and Charlie Day, btw. I especially liked the second episode last night; it's rare that I laugh out loud when watching something by myself but the "rape van" shenanigans were hilarious.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#10 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:15 pm

People keep telling me they preferred the second episode last night (The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis), but in my opinion, Mac and Dennis: Manhunters was one of the best episodes ever.

LQ

#11 Post by LQ » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:17 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:People keep telling me they preferred the second episode last night (The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis), but in my opinion, Mac and Dennis: Manhunters was one of the best episodes ever.
I thought you were tired of Cricket ;)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#12 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:18 pm

He was utilized perfectly. The last time he turned up, when they were all addicted to cocaine, he was a really agitating character. But the idea of him being hunted down for either a teabag or a gorilla mask? Perfect. But the cannibalism sub-plot with Sweet Dee and Charlie is what really made the episode shine.

Monkeys are nature's humans.

LQ

#13 Post by LQ » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:22 pm

I will say, just hearing Danny DeVito say "meat!" is enough to send me into a fit of giggles. They both were great episodes. I can't wait til next Thursday.
Last edited by LQ on Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaddoli

#14 Post by chaddoli » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:01 pm

Yeah, what a great kickoff to the fourth season. The last season was a bit hit or miss indeed, but these were two excellent episodes. The Charlie/Dee portion of Manhunters was unbelievably funny.

Highway 61

#15 Post by Highway 61 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:20 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:People keep telling me they preferred the second episode last night (The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis), but in my opinion, Mac and Dennis: Manhunters was one of the best episodes ever.
I liked both, but I thought the second was the funniest episode of the show yet. But then again, I'm a Charlie guy.

Tom Hagen

#16 Post by Tom Hagen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:41 pm

My problem with the first episode stems from a common complaint that I have about the series: as the stories have progressed through the seasons, the secondary characters/friends/enemies have become so detached from reality as to lose their essential humor. I am all for the suspension of disbelief when it comes to accepting the absurdity of the Gang and their world, but at a certain point it become so ludicrous that it's no longer funny. With the exception of the Waitress, the secondary characters often seem less funny with each intervening episode. It happened to the McPoyles last year, and it happened to Rickety Cricket in the episode last night.

The second episode was absolutely a classic though. Charlie bailing out of the back of the van screaming "wild card!!" was an all-time highlight.

flyonthewall2983

#17 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:47 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
flyonthewall2983 wrote:
...huh? None of that made any sense. Domino said it can be very funny, it didn't take him a few episodes to figure out that it's a bit too callous for his tastes. And the show could be set anywhere, the Lynch reference doesn't work.
That shows you how little I know about it lol. I thought the title of the show was meant to be ironic, considering the content.

Antoine Doinel

Re: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

#18 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:52 pm

A straight-to-DVD special is in the works to be released around Christmas.

LQ

#19 Post by LQ » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:52 pm

Season 5 preview.

Murdoch

#20 Post by Murdoch » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:06 pm

I hope they don't do what they did last season where they showed two new episodes a week and burned through the entire season in just two or three months.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#21 Post by swo17 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:21 pm

I believe they've been doing that every year since at least Season 2.

Murdoch

#22 Post by Murdoch » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Well, they need to stop!

oldsheperd

#23 Post by oldsheperd » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:00 am

Just FYI. Got the fourth season on dvd yesterday. There is an insert advertising a full-length Christmas show coming straight to dvd and br on Nov.17th.

LQ

#24 Post by LQ » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:55 am

Thursday's "The Gang Hits the Road" was in my opinion one of the funniest episodes of Sunny ever. Charlie devouring the pear.. stem, sticker and all, while Mac turned his back for an instant had me in stitches. Between that scene and the "don't condescend to me with your tiny pear" exchange in last week's Curb Your Enthusiasm, the pear has become the go-to Funny Fruit.

Murdoch

#25 Post by Murdoch » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:09 pm

I liked it a lot, too, but I didn't find a lot of laugh-out-loud moments, but the pear joke was funny. I loved how the gang "hits the road" but end up never actually leaving the city. The Dayman musical episode was good fan-service, I laughed every time Frank said "hole" instead of "soul", fantastic.