Late Night Television

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Andre Jurieu

Re: Late Night Television

#301 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon May 16, 2016 5:26 pm

Black Hat wrote:How familiar are you guys with his show?

Because this is exactly how he was on it. He was never biting and 'suave' he was only in a form of parody.

Like I said without the ability to see him his style lends itself to being misunderstood inside the usually sharply structured podcast interview formant, but this was certainly a performance by someone who knew exactly what he was doing.

He also didn't make Simmons uncomfortable. What I heard was Simmons getting a kick out of Kilborn and laughing a lot. If as you say Simmons was 'uncomfortable' there's no way the interview would have gone on for 80 minutes which outside of show regulars is as long as his interviews go.

The Letterman and ESPN stuff were excellent. Points about BIrd & Jordan were smart too.
I routinely watched both of Kilborn's late night talk shows and I've followed his career within pop-culture ever since his SportsCenter days. He's never been my favorite talk-show personality, but he was always interesting.

Simmons didn't really sound uncomfortable to me. While I'm not sure he expected the discussion to unravel quite the way it did, I got the impression Simmons just kind of allowed himself to be amused by Kilborn's manic progression through various topics. Having said that, I'm not sure Kilborn knew exactly what he was doing within this format. I would think it's more like he didn't really concern himself too much with how he was perceived - which is very much a reflection of his general attitude. Kilborn was still kind of all over the map, particularly in that first 20-25 minute stretch. It's not like it was boring and I'll grant you that it was mildly familiar in terms of his prior TV persona, but it was still more erratic than he used to be. It felt more like he was incredibly enthusiastic about being on the Simmons podcast and it got the best of him for a little while. The friends that sent me the link were all joking about the cocaine use, since at least two of them were fans of Kilborn when he had more of a presence within pop-culture.

OK. Good talk. I'll see you out there.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#302 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon May 16, 2016 5:28 pm

Very, I was a daily viewer of SportsCenter in his era, his late night show, and did my best to keep the forum posted on my daily viewing of his ill-fated Kilborn File. But go on about how I'm just not familiar with Kilborn's personality, it's fine.

Black Hat

#303 Post by Black Hat » Mon May 16, 2016 5:45 pm

Well I posed the question as your cliché ridden reactionary response to the interview was of a reddit & twitterverse standard. Similar to how you felt about Kilborn's interview, I didn't find your description of it smart or funny. It's fine. I'm familiar with your personality.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#304 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon May 16, 2016 5:53 pm

Going to keep reaching for the brass ring of Black Hat finding me smart or funny. Wish me luck.

tarpilot

#305 Post by tarpilot » Mon May 16, 2016 7:20 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Going to keep reaching for the brass ring of Black Hat finding me smart or funny. Wish me luck.
His apparent ignorance of the meanings of cliché, reactionary, and possibly "ridden" indicates his expertise in at least one of those areas, though perhaps not in a judging capacity.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#307 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:49 pm

That's awesome, but the article makes a point to show how easy it is to muscle people into paying debts they no longer owe. If this is the case, I wonder if any sort of safeguards are in place to prove that all these debts have been forgiven and can no longer be collected. It seems like it would be easy for some former owner of this debt to start calling those numbers and claiming that money is still owed.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#308 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:52 pm

It happens, which is why you're supposed to request a debt collector provide you with proof, in writing, via mail, of the debt they're collecting, which frequently will be the end of the convo as they do not have this info.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#309 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:39 pm

Yo La Tengo will be the backing band for Aesop Rock on tonite's Colbert

tarpilot

#310 Post by tarpilot » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:18 pm

Oliver using the right's stereotype of leftist feel-mongering to attack the RNC the other night was brilliant. Also "IMDb page-awarded actor Antonio Sabato Jr."

Ribs

#311 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:57 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#312 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:10 am

Yet Trevor Noah still has a job?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#313 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:22 am

Unless this is Phase 1 of a process that results with Wilmore getting The Daily Show... please?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#314 Post by Drucker » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:59 am

domino harvey wrote:Yet Trevor Noah still has a job?
I read something that says it's apparently the number two show on Hulu for people 18-24. So it has a decent audience somewhere I suppose.

Ribs

#315 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:05 pm

According to the NYT piece linked it is actually the #2 late-night show period among 18-34 year olds, not just online. I don't really know if that's true but that's what they're sticking to.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#316 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Yeah but the drop from Stewart's ratings to Noah's was huge-- 37% as of this spring

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#317 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:16 pm

I mean, I think all of this stuff is probably correct - as streaming figures probably aren't factored into the ratings that Domino is citing

knives

#318 Post by knives » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:19 pm

domino harvey wrote:Yeah but the drop from Stewart's ratings to Noah's was huge-- 37% as of this spring
True, but Wilmore's drop is even harder according to that Times piece. I like Wilmore a lot, but his show has really only worked in spurts so far and so it isn't terribly surprising that the ratings have followed suit.

dx23

#319 Post by dx23 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:51 pm

I feel that the problem was that the Nightly Show was only good for the first part of the show, where Wilmore talked about the day's topics and gave his take on it. He's really polished and it's sad that he wasn't the successor to Stewart on the Daily Show. On the other hand, Noah has had some brilliant moments every now and then but he doesn't have the gravitas that Stewart had night in, night out. Stewart's appearance a couple of weeks ago on Late Night showed how much he's missed. Noah has been on the chair less than a year and still hasn't gotten a groove on his show.The only 2 bright spots right now for the Daily Show have been Roy Wood Jr and Desi Lydic. Trevor has been a horrible interviewer, who fails to go to in-depth conversations like Stewart did. It almost seems that Noah took the show several steps back to the Craig Kilborn era, where it was simply a place for celebrities to plug in their latest project. Just look at the John Lewis interviews with Stewart and compare it to the one last week he had with Noah. It was day and night. Stewart made people interested in the book while Noah simply was just asking questions but not really working on getting the best answers. I don't envision Noah having interview moments with Jim Cramer or Fox News people the same way Stewart did. It's not that Noah isn't smart, but it feels like he's afraid of being challenged. Wilmore on the other hand, can spar with any of these politicians and conservatives who have a different opinion from his, yet I don't feel he was allowed to do that on his show.

knives

#320 Post by knives » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:30 pm

I think though that a lot of that was Stewart growing into the role. Watching the stream they had before he ended really helped highlight that for his first few years until really the '04 elections Stewart had a lot of the falterings you're aiming at Noah now. He just needs to get a grasp for America and its politics I suspect. After all his stuff on Africa is consistently great.

Andre Jurieu

#321 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:07 pm

dx23 wrote:Stewart made people interested in the book while Noah simply was just asking questions but not really working on getting the best answers. I don't envision Noah having interview moments with Jim Cramer or Fox News people the same way Stewart did. It's not that Noah isn't smart, but it feels like he's afraid of being challenged. Wilmore on the other hand, can spar with any of these politicians and conservatives who have a different opinion from his, yet I don't feel he was allowed to do that on his show.
I think this also might be due to the Fallon-effect, where everyone thinks you have to be nice to your guests all the time.

flyonthewall2983

#322 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:52 pm

Ribs

#323 Post by Ribs » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:39 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Conan is going weekly
Deadline's article on this indicates they're actually not sure what they're doing with the show just yet; weekly is on the table, as is either reducing the amount of episodes or bringing it down to a half-hour and keeping it daily. They're spinning off Clueless Gamer into its own show which seems like a strange decision to me.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#324 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:46 pm

How many full-length episodes of him playing video games and riffing on them can there be before he's no longer clueless about them