Twin Peaks

Discuss TV shows old and new.
BigMack3000

Re: Twin Peaks

#826 Post by BigMack3000 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:19 pm

RobertAltman wrote:According to the end credits,
SpoilerShow
Sheryl Lee was in this episode...How did I miss that?
SpoilerShow
I can't picture it now, but was it her hand that put the ring on the table?

cdobbs

#827 Post by cdobbs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:55 pm

BigMack3000 wrote:
RobertAltman wrote:According to the end credits,
SpoilerShow
Sheryl Lee was in this episode...How did I miss that?
SpoilerShow
I can't picture it now, but was it her hand that put the ring on the table?
Sheryl Lee is in the end credits of every episode due to her image appearing in the opening credits.

oh yeah

Twin Peaks

#828 Post by oh yeah » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:48 pm

Thought this was a big improvement over Part 12, and one of the best so far. (It's funny how virtually all the best Parts are odd-numbered and the weakest ones are even-numbered, with Part 8 being the only exception).

The whole scrambled/elongated timeline weirdness is perplexing because it's so obvious. And Part 13 seemed to intentionally make all this even more apparent - that there's something out of whack with time and space in Twin Peaks and that everything we see isn't linear. I think there's probably a method to this madness as opposed to it merely being down to continuity errors, which is how it seemed before this Part. There's no way Lynch and Frost are so careless that they'd slack off to such a degree (like Bobby saying in Part 13 that he'd found the note from his father earlier that day when it really happened back in Part 9 which would seem to be at least 3-4 days prior).

No, something's afoot here, it must be intentional... and I'm not one to usually say that nothing Lynch ever does is a mistake or to pore over every last mundane detail of each episode for clues, and so on. Just look to Sarah's scene in Part 13 for but one example among many of time being out of whack - the endless repetition, punctuated by that ominous electrical crackle, of the same bit of boxing footage. Or you can look back to the final scene of Part 7 and the way it so eerily introduced a time-and-space-defying jump cut in the middle of an otherwise pleasant, nostalgic shot of patrons being served at the RR.

Most bizarrely, there's even a moment in the final scene of 13 where we see a shot from Ed's POV of his reflection in the storefront glass - and the reflection seems to show him eating the same exact soup we will soon see him eat. But at that moment he's not eating it, and he seems to notice this oddness for a second. Then he goes ahead and eats the soup, looking just like he did in the reflection. That's no continuity error.

Also, Audrey's scene in 13 certainly hinted at some kind of alternate reality/timeline/dream/coma-vision. I wasn't keen on her first scene in 12 but this one made me see it in a new light. I love the ominousness and ambiguousness of her situation, and Charlie is looking more creepy and untrustworthy than ever, as opposed to in 12 where he just seemed like a stubborn and exasperated husband.

So after this past episode, I must say, I really like where Lynch and Frost are going with Audrey's story; it's one of the more intriguing developments thus far. I also thought Fenn absolutely knocked it out of the park, in her second scene especially - Audrey's clearly very desperate and confused and broken. She no longer seems like some unnecessarily cruel harridan, as some said after her scene in Part 12, but rather a woman going through some sort of legitimate "existential" crisis (as Charlie mockingly words it).

Finch

#830 Post by Finch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:01 am

Excellent episode for me as well. When Big Ed was sitting all by himself in his office and the reverse shot revealed the front, I was half expecting Roth and Jason-Leigh to pull up at the station. Could still happen though: shots were reported at Big Ed's in Part 11, no?

German viewers who got to see Part 14 first are saying it's a belter of an episode. Can't wait!

mistakaninja

#831 Post by mistakaninja » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:21 am

I don't think shots were reported at Big Ed's. The deputy (Jesse?) was saying he was at Big Ed's and heard shots, i.e. the shot the kid fired out of the car at the Double R.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#832 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:31 am

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#833 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:48 am

Part 14 was absolutely outstanding, and now I understand why there was a rumbling of very positive impressions coming from the areas where the accidental leak via streaming service took place - because this was perhaps the best hour yet. Having a hard time even putting into words just how many incredible moments there were - the dream, Andy in the white lodge, the extremely entertaining anecdote about the dishwashing glove, Sarah Palmer at the bar... I mean, this was wall-to-wall amazing stuff, some of the most memorable moments of the entire series all back-to-back-to-back. I'm unsure whether it was by design for Lynch to sort of bounce between thrillingly great hours and obtuse, difficult ones. While it certainly feels as if the final four hours will be a thrilling crescendo, at this point I wouldn't be all that surprised if Part 15 were an entire hour of Dougie Jones scribbling on an insurance policy. There's just no earthly way of knowing which direction Lynch is going.

cdobbs

#834 Post by cdobbs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:25 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Part 14 was absolutely outstanding, and now I understand why there was a rumbling of very positive impressions coming from the areas where the accidental leak via streaming service took place - because this was perhaps the best hour yet. Having a hard time even putting into words just how many incredible moments there were - the dream, Andy in the white lodge, the extremely entertaining anecdote about the dishwashing glove, Sarah Palmer at the bar... I mean, this was wall-to-wall amazing stuff, some of the most memorable moments of the entire series all back-to-back-to-back. I'm unsure whether it was by design for Lynch to sort of bounce between thrillingly great hours and obtuse, difficult ones. While it certainly feels as if the final four hours will be a thrilling crescendo, at this point I wouldn't be all that surprised if Part 15 were an entire hour of Dougie Jones scribbling on an insurance policy. There's just no earthly way of knowing which direction Lynch is going.
All the talk from the production side about this being an 18-hour film split into parts has seemed like something of a red herring for a while now. Each individual episode has more or less had a distinct tone, and seemed edited to hit certain themes harder than others and provoke specific reactions: dread, disgust, nostalgia, uplift, bafflement, excitement...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#835 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:06 pm

I disagree - it's obviously been segmented in ways that are narratively compelling to Lynch, but I don't think each episode has been assigned any sort of specific purpose, outside of Part 8. There are just too many plot threads to think about specific themes being assigned to each hour.

Finch

#836 Post by Finch » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:37 pm

I wasn't keen on the first 15 minutes of Part 14: a bit too much exposition and while I liked the sound design for Cole's dream, this particular sequence hasn't resonated with me as much as other dream scenes in Peaks or other Lynch films, though I did like the Monica Belluci starring as herself bit. And leave it to Lynch to make a window cleaner terrifying and hilarious simultaneously. Once they got into the forest and looking for the JackRabbit palace, I was hooked. And the more I think about it, the more I love them choosing Andy as the one for the download of all knowledge; Hawk would have felt a bit on the nose in hindsight. Interesting that the forest vortex was white while Cole's vision of it in Buckhorn was black. Wonder what James is going to find behind that door in the Great Northern furnace.. And that cheshire cat grin of the black man projected onto Sarah's blank face genuinely scared me. I think it likely that the girl in Part 8 is Sarah, not least because we heard a horse neighing in the episode's final seconds. Not the absolute best of the even-numbered episodes for me, that's still Gotta Light? so far, but ahead of Episode 2 and 10. And I'd never thought I'd say it, but I'd actually really like a fourth season if Mssrs Lynch and Frost have a story they feel they have to tell.

geoffcowgill

#837 Post by geoffcowgill » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:28 pm

Finch wrote:Interesting that the forest vortex was white while Cole's vision of it in Buckhorn was black.
I assume that's because Andy went into a white lodge portal and Cole was saved by Albert from going into a black lodge portal. The white/black thing also adds a disconcerting edge (as if that were needed) to Sarah Palmer's face plate void being black where her daughter's was blindingly white.

And, yes, a season four or a Fire Walk With Me-equivalent prequel movie to season three would be very welcome.

Bando

#838 Post by Bando » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 pm

Can't tell and don't care to read into figuring out if that blog piece is just joking about spoilers. Because that's just low with a series like this.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#839 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:55 pm

They're pretty obviously joke spoilers.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#841 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:16 am

Birdie told me there's spoilers for the remaining episodes floating around the intertubes. Do NOT post them here, link to them here, or even spoiler tag them here. Thank you, and godspeed.

dadaistnun

#842 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:53 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Birdie told me there's spoilers for the remaining episodes floating around the intertubes. Do NOT post them here, link to them here, or even spoiler tag them here. Thank you, and godspeed.
+1000000

I'm still amazed I've made it this far without anything major being spoiled for me (although I do know which corners or the 'tubes to avoid, for TP at least).

flyonthewall2983

#843 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:29 am

I heard that the source of the leak is from Russia.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#844 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:30 am

Now they're just being petty

hearthesilence

#845 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:35 am

Forrest Taft

#846 Post by Forrest Taft » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Some of the returning cast members, who haven't acted in the last two decades, have seemed kind of rusty. The same cannot be said about Everett McGill. He was extraordinary in ep 15. The scene at the diner couldn't have ended in a lovelier way.

flyonthewall2983

#847 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:35 pm

Not bad for someone who hasn't been seen in anything since The Straight Story

Finch

#848 Post by Finch » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Great episode,
SpoilerShow
especially the convenience store scenes and the log lady bidding farewell. Remains to be seen if Coop really is back now though all the signs point to it. Who'd have thought it'd be Sunset Boulevard triggering his waking up? I was convinced it'd be a kiss from Laura for Dougie that does it. But that's The Return for you.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#849 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:00 pm

SpoilerShow
I'm thinking that either he's back, or he's going to need to go back for his shoes on the other side of the electrical outlet before he can truly be back to being Cooper.

flyonthewall2983

#850 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Alicia Witt was damn heartbreaking last night.