Twin Peaks

Discuss TV shows old and new.
whaleallright

Re: Twin Peaks

#1201 Post by whaleallright » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:33 pm

H&M has announced an utterly bewildering, hideously ugly clothing line that they are boasting is "Twin Peaks-inspired."

(that they misspell Donna's last name seems wholly appropriate)

dadaistnun

#1202 Post by dadaistnun » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:21 pm

I was beginning to think this would never see the light of day: the Thought Gang album is finally being released some 25+ years after it was recorded.

Posting this here rather that the Lynch thread since it has numerous connections to Fire Walk with Me (including The Missing Pieces) and The Return.

zedz

#1203 Post by zedz » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:56 pm

whaleallright wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:33 pm
H&M has announced an utterly bewildering, hideously ugly clothing line that they are boasting is "Twin Peaks-inspired."

(that they misspell Donna's last name seems wholly appropriate)
Way back in the 90s, the only five minutes I ever saw (and ever will) of Beverly Hills 90210 featured a character who was running for class president, or dog catcher, or some meaningless position, fretting that his sister's eccentric dress sense was ruining his election chances. One of his friends cattily called out said sister, saying "Don't you know Hippywitch is so '87?" To which the sister petulantly replied, "It's not Hippywitch, it's Twin Peaks, and it's very IN!" before flouncing off. As I recall, she was dressed like a thrift store Stevie Nicks, with a floppy floral hat, and for the life of me I couldn't imagine which Twin Peaks character she thought dressed like that.

The scene might have worked if the sister was Dawn Davenport. . .

Of course, the moment has been preserved on YouTube.

Peter-H

#1204 Post by Peter-H » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:41 pm

The interview Lynch did for the French magazine Cashiers Du Cinema is the best interview about the Return that I've seen but I can't find the full translation anymore, but luckily I can find a translation of what I thought was an especially interesting part. In an earlier part of this interview, Lynch talked about the four ages in Hindu religion: Gold, Silver, Bronze, Iron. Human beings are currently living in "Iron" age, aka Age of Vice, which is a dark period. He says that humans will reach the golden age once we attain enlightenment and then goes on to talk about transcendental meditation and stuff. After he says all this he's asked this question (google translation):

Cahiers: In Twin Peaks, you show the violence, but also how to find the energy to reach the golden age. but you do not show the golden age. One could imagine that the season would end in an apotheosis, a golden age. But no, we end in the night, in front of the Palmer's house, with a scream ...

DL: (Laughter) If we lived in the golden age today, we would be at the end of Twin Peaks ... But we do not live there, we are in front of the Palmer house.

Full interview
Last edited by Peter-H on Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1205 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:16 pm

What a profound thing to say. Anyone who accuses Lynch of throwing things against the wall and not having a profound understanding of his own work is kidding themselves.

Murdoch

#1206 Post by Murdoch » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:27 am