Proposed Film Club Changes

A film viewing and discussion club for Criterion Collection releases.

What Do You Prefer?

A shorter time between the vote and the discussion of the chosen film.
82%
Keep the current time interval.
18%

Total votes: 28

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

Proposed Film Club Changes

#1 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:46 am

After some discussion with swo17 and some thought on the subject, I think one of the reasons discussion often doesn't attract a lot of participants is that by the time the discussion starts, the excitement generated by the vote has died out.

So I propose we have a shorter time between the vote and the discussion. I'm not sure how short yet, maybe a week or maybe three days. We can discuss the actual amount to reduce it to. In the mean time, please vote.

You can change your vote at any time.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Proposed Film Club Changes.

#2 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:51 am

Yes, I think it'd be a good idea to transition immediately into the discussion-- maybe the film discussion thread is created and open once voting closes, kind of like a "preview" on Broadway, with the understanding that those who want to jump in can do so but maybe the "official" start date is a week later? This would requite overlap between two films at all times, but that doesn't seem like such a bad thing

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

#3 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:57 am

domino harvey wrote:Yes, I think it'd be a good idea to transition immediately into the discussion-- maybe the film discussion thread is created and open once voting closes, kind of like a "preview" on Broadway, with the understanding that those who want to jump in can do so but maybe the "official" start date is a week later? This would requite overlap between two films at all times, but that doesn't seem like such a bad thing
I was thinking start the vote three days before the end of the current discussion, with the new thread being open for discussion the moment both the vote and the current discussion closes.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:11 am

Yeah, I like that too

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#5 Post by Drucker » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:13 am

Personally I like the current format. But anything that changes that enables more discussion would be great. I'm at the mercy of my library and physical netflix, and really don't have the funds/desire these days to buy every film we talk about, especially if it's one I am only watching because of film club. With the slowness of Netflix DVD arrivals, I'll probably be a few days behind everybody else starting their discussion, but willing to give the changes a try.

I also think people just love voting for shit. It seems we have more votes than active forum members sometimes. These people will never join discussion.

movielocke

Re: Proposed Film Club Changes

#6 Post by movielocke » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:02 pm

I'm almost exclusively posting from tapatalk, and usually I've forgotten whatever the most recent vote has been by the time it goes live.

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

Re: Proposed Film Club Changes

#7 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:06 am

Alright, looks like we'll be having a shorter time time between the vote and the discussion.

I'm going to try holding the vote three days before the end of whatever the current discussion is, with the discussion for the winning film opening immediately after the vote closes.

We'll see how it goes for a few weeks and tweak things if needed. If you have any comments or suggestions in the coming weeks, let me know here.