Carrie

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Ribs

Carrie

#1 Post by Ribs » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:20 am

In 1974, Stephen King published his first novel, the story of Carrie White, a troubled young girl, bullied by her peers and daughter to a fanatical fundamentalist mother, who discovers she has telekinetic powers. In 1976, it became the first of his works to be adapted for the big screen and, to this day, remains one of the very best.

Carrie marked Brian De Palma’s arrival as a major director, following smaller cult films such as Sisters, Phantom of the Paradise and Obsession, and provided a key early role for Sissy Spacek (Badlands), one that would earn her a Best Actress nomination at the Academy Awards. Piper Laurie would also pick up a nomination, for Best Supporting Actress, as Carrie’s mother, while future stars such as Amy Irving, John Travolta and Nancy Allen were give their first major parts in a big-screen production.

Restored in 4K from the original negative, this collector’s edition provides the definitive release of a horror classic.

COLLECTOR’S EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES

• 4K restoration from the original negative
• High Definition (1080p) presentation
• DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio and uncompressed 1.0 mono soundtracks
• Optional subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Commentary by Lee Gambin, author of Nope, Nothing Wrong Here: The Making of Cujo, and Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, author of Cultographies: Ms. 45 and Devil’s Advocates: Suspiria, recorded exclusively for this release
• Brand-new visual essay comparing the various versions and adaptations of Carrie across the years
• Acting Carrie, archive featurette containing interviews with director Brian De Palma, actors Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, William Katt and others
• More Acting Carrie, additional interviews with the cast of the film
• Visualising Carrie: From Words to Images, archive featurette containing interviews with De Palma, writer Lawrence D. Cohen, editor Paul Hirsch and art director Jack Fisk
• Singing Carrie: Carrie the Musical, archive featurette on the stage musical adaptation of King’s novel
• Writing Carrie, an interview with writer Lawrence D. Cohen
• Shooting Carrie, an interview with cinematographer Mario Tosi
• Cutting Carrie, an interview with editor Paul Hirsch
• Casting Carrie, an interview with casting director Harriet B. Helberg
• Bucket of Blood, an interview with composer Pino Donaggio
• Horror’s Hallowed Grounds, a look back at the locations of Carrie
• Gallery
• Trailer
• TV spots
• Radio spots
• Carrie trailer reel
• Limited edition 60-page booklet featuring new writing on the film by Neil Mitchell, author of Devil’s Advocates: Carrie, and numerous reprints and interviews

Costa

Re: Carrie

#2 Post by Costa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:26 am

Oh Wow! Thank you very much!
I'm glad i didn't buy the Shout release.

And I see it's announced here before the Arrow facebook page too!

This won't be limited like The thing , right?

Ribs

#3 Post by Ribs » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:29 am

It's not announced before Facebook, it's just that Arrow (for good reason) puts the titles on their site about 15 minutes before they're announced proper.

This *is* a limited edition, but it wouldn't surprise me if they start off with something like 5,000 or maybe not even giving a number until near release so they don't disappoint.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: The Brian De Palma Collection

#4 Post by swo17 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:50 am

It is limited to 5,000 copies.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#5 Post by Drucker » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:51 am

Website seems down again, and here's where the Amazon link will be.

Costa

#6 Post by Costa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 am

If i pre-order through Arrow, do they hold my money?
Amazon didn't when I pre-ordered The thing.

edit: Never mind.
I just read:
Payment for pre-order items will be collected now for despatch on the release date.

Luke M

#7 Post by Luke M » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:24 pm

I had £5 in points in my account so I went ahead and preordered. It looks like a special set.

Orlac

#8 Post by Orlac » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:12 am

Very pedantic question but...

"Back when the film was first released, Miss Collins said that the girls did a "really shitty thing the other day". On newer versions of the film it's a "really shitty thing yesterday". This must have been done when the filmmakers realized the scene took place the very next day after the opening shower incident and Betty Buckley obviously had to re-dub it. The dub is even noticeable on the DVD. " - IMDB

Any chance we could finally have the original mono track? The re-dub always bugs me.

Yes, I am a nerd!

Banasa

#9 Post by Banasa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Some extras have been added and others have been more clarified

[*]Alternate title sequence created for network television screenings
[*]More Acting Carrie, additional cast interviews with Laurie, Katt, Nancy Allen, Betty Buckley, Edie McClurg and P.J. Soles
[*]Reversible sleeve featuring original and new artwork by Laz Marquez

Arrow also refers to this dubbing issue:
"After trawling through the MGM vaults, we have rediscovered the alternative opening title sequence prepared for network television! The sequence – which hasn’t been seen in years – presented a more chaste approach to the girls’ locker room in order to appease TV guidelines.
While tracking down this sequence, we also checked out the original soundtracks to see if we could locate the original “really shitty thing the other day” line of dialogue, but unfortunately all of the mags in the archive contained the “really shitty thing yesterday” line instead."

Feego

#10 Post by Feego » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:21 pm

Banasa wrote:[*]Alternate title sequence created for network television screenings
I presume they mean this. (NSFW, but still safer than what's in the final movie).

Orlac

#11 Post by Orlac » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Funny, I think what I taped off BBC1 in 2001 had that opening AND the "other day" line, but I don't have the tape anymore.

Finch

#12 Post by Finch » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:06 am

Getting a 4k upgrade in January. Glad I didn't go for the Scream disc.

Arrow store

ryannichols7

#13 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:09 am

really excited Arrow got to do this one. the only downside is it seems the usual US importers (Orbit, Diabolik, etc) have yet to put it up for pre-order, which makes me worried they're (for some reason) honoring Shout Factory's request for them to not carry it. would be maddening, as that only hurts all consumers and these stores themselves. being forced to pay more to ship it from the UK and from Amazon or Zavvi is taking money out of the pockets of these US stores. I know this "region locking" practice has happened a couple of times, recently with Radiance, but it's all the more annoying. luckily it only seems to affect horror/genre titles for the most part, which thankfully isn't as hard on me...but I love Carrie and will get it by any means necessary.

Finch

#14 Post by Finch » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:45 am

Orbit can take a day or two but yes some Radiance titles are only carried by Grindhouse so if Orbit don't have Carrie next week I'll either get it from Mike or wait for the next Arrow UK sale because I've got a bunch of other catalogue titles I still want and bundle them with the full price Carrie LE, assuming it hasn't sold out when the spring sale comes around.