Twenty years after David Cronenberg prophesised the dark side of the Internet age in Videodrome, acclaimed French filmmaker Olivier Assayas (Irma Vep) updated it for the New Millennium in his startlingly prescient Demonlover, a chilling exploration of the nexus between sex and violence available at the click of a button.
Up-and-coming executive Diane (Connie Nielsen, One Hour Photo) lets nothing stand in her way when it comes to landing the lucrative Tokyo Anime contract for the Volf Corporation, guaranteeing worldwide exclusive rights to the latest in cutting-edge hentai. Despised by her assistant (Chloe Sevigny, American Psycho) and engaged in a risky game of corporate espionage, her ruthless ambition meets its match in Elaine (Gina Gershon, Bound), the charismatic representative of an American Internet porn company called Demonlover. However, the company is only the front for an online portal to the Hellfire Club, which gives its users control over the next big thing in interactive extreme pornography: real women, tortured according to subscribers’ whims, in real time. Diane wants a piece of the action, and will stop at nothing to get it; but as she delves deeper into the twisted world of the Hellfire Club, reality slips away and the stakes of the game are raised to the point of no return.
Armed with an iconic score by art-rock pioneers Sonic Youth, Assayas’ neo-noir/cyberhorror masterpiece is finally unleashed for the first time on Blu-Ray, with revealing extras and a new director-approved restoration.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
- Brand new 2K restoration of the 121-minute director’s cut, approved by Olivier Assayas
- High Definition Blu-Ray (1080p) presentation
- Original 5.1 DTS-HD master audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Audio commentary by writer/director Olivier Assayas
- New visual essay written and narrated by critic Jonathan Romney
- Peripherie de Demonlover, an hour-long behind-the-scenes documentary directed by Yorick Le Saux
- Archive interviews with Olivier Assayas, Connie Nielsen, Chloe Sevigny and Charles Berling
- SY NYC 12/12/01: The Demonlover Sessions, a fly-on-the-wall documentary about the recording of the music score by Sonic Youth
- Q&A with Olivier Assayas filmed at the Wexner Center for the Arts in 2003
- Extended version of the Hellfire Club sequence
- Original theatrical trailers
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Chris Malbon