Female Prisoner Scorpion: The Complete Collection

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Cold Bishop

Re: Female Prisoner Scorpion: the Complete Collection

#51 Post by Cold Bishop » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:47 am

This isn't simply a debatable blue or green color palette being thrown over the picture. The entire color scheme in certain sections look as widely divergent and extreme from previous presentations as Friedkin's pink French Connection. Perhaps more so, given some of those Jailhouse 41 grabs.

I'm certain Arrow didn't come to this decision haphazardly, but the previous explanation alone doesn't account for it. If they're making the argument that every previous iteration of this film has been mistimed - something that's certain not impossible, if unlikely - they need to present a stronger argument

OpalEchoNightfall

#52 Post by OpalEchoNightfall » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:55 pm

It's a shame that they couldnt've at least tried to replicate the original colour timing. I'm sure there was enough colour detail in those scans to produce a much more natural and varied palette. This cursory correction only took 2 seconds in After Effects, for example. To me this looks more like a bold creative choice, but either way it's not quite the restoration I'd hoped for.

Orlac

#53 Post by Orlac » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:00 pm

Can one replicate that with the colour setting on a tv - say, by reducing cyan and boosting red?

OpalEchoNightfall

#54 Post by OpalEchoNightfall » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm sure the colour timing varies from scene to scene so that wouldn't be ideal, unfortunately. For those curious I think I boosted Cyan/Red +85 and shifted Magenta/Green by -5, but results depend on your preferred software.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

Re: Female Prisoner Scorpion: The Complete Collection

#55 Post by barryconvex » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:15 pm

As a child of the VHS age i'm probably the easiest grader on this forum when it comes to picture quality on DVD/BLU. But after watching the first two films in the set i have to say that they look don't look very good. Everything is so drenched in blue (well past the point of distraction) that i can't believe this was a stylistic decision. I would tell anyone interested to think twice before they purchase this.

R0lf

#56 Post by R0lf » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:56 pm

As far as literal Japanese cinema fun goes STRAY CAT ROCK featuring a black bar decorated with black bars shot in 4.3 so there are black bars on the screen has some stiff competition with FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION breaking the fourth wall by featuring a revolving wall.

Paul Moran

#57 Post by Paul Moran » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Now down to £32.99 at zavvi.com http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/female-pri ... 80990.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My target price was £30, but I've decided to spend the extra £3. Stand by for announcement from Arrow that they are remastering the set!

MichaelB

#58 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:23 pm

They're not.

Orlac

#59 Post by Orlac » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:12 am

Well hopefully they will make sure the next Toei titles don't look soaked in purple.

dda1996a

#60 Post by dda1996a » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:52 am

R0lf wrote:As far as literal Japanese cinema fun goes STRAY CAT ROCK featuring a black bar decorated with black bars shot in 4.3 so there are black bars on the screen has some stiff competition with FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION breaking the fourth wall by featuring a revolving wall.
In what Stray Cat film is that?

R0lf

#61 Post by R0lf » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:07 am

dda1996a wrote:
R0lf wrote:As far as literal Japanese cinema fun goes STRAY CAT ROCK featuring a black bar decorated with black bars shot in 4.3 so there are black bars on the screen has some stiff competition with FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION breaking the fourth wall by featuring a revolving wall.
In what Stray Cat film is that?
SEX HUNTER (the bar is also painted black).

Mel

#62 Post by Mel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Paul Moran wrote:Now down to £32.99 at zavvi.com http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/female-pri ... 80990.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My target price was £30, but I've decided to spend the extra £3. Stand by for announcement from Arrow that they are remastering the set!
Just when I decided I want to buy this, regardless of the crazy blue tint, it's now £39,99.
I wonder if the price wil increase or decrease because of the 80% sold out status. Other webshops are asking a lot more (about £60 with amazon.co.uk).

Stephen

#63 Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:48 pm

Mel wrote:
Paul Moran wrote:Now down to £32.99 at zavvi.com http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/female-pri ... 80990.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just when I decided I want to buy this, regardless of the crazy blue tint, it's now £39,99.
I wonder if the price wil increase or decrease because of the 80% sold out status. Other webshops are asking a lot more (about £60 with amazon.co.uk).
Add code vc10 for just £35.99. At 80% gone, that sold it for me.