Shock and Gore / The Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Ribs

Re: Shock and Gore: the Films of Herschell Gordon Lewis

#26 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:19 am

Drucker wrote:So if all you want are the films, the Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast will do the trick?
Yes. Considering it's Amazon exclusivity, this may be the only Arrow title so far where the best price is probably going to be for the US version. (Assuming it's like $225 MSRP, BN will have it for $135 plus whatever coupons or membership bonuses in December, which should ultimately put it at about $100 before tax.)

Guess the Box of Gore is pretty cool for the gold list backers though.

EddieLarkin

#27 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:22 am

Both the boxofgore.com 500 LE set and the Amazon exclusive 2500 LE set come with the exact same disc content. The former set has these additions:

• Fully-illustrated 92-page art book featuring the definitive overview of the entire career of H.G. Lewis written by Stephen Thrower
• 160-page paperback of the original Blood Feast novelization, written by Lewis
• 7” vinyl single featuring select tracks from the Blood Feast score
• 14 postcards featuring original artwork for all the films included
• Individually handmade “super gory” eyeball
• Shock and Gore commemorative barf bag
• Newly illustrated packaging and books by The Twins of Evil

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#28 Post by Drucker » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 am

Important detail at the bottom of the US pre-order page:
SORRY, BUT WE CANNOT ACCEPT CANCELLATIONS OF PREORDERS

der_Artur

#29 Post by der_Artur » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:28 am

domino harvey wrote:I would strongly advise those curious who haven't actually seen any of these movies to at least watch one before plunking down ~$200 on this set, as Gordon's style and directorial attributes are not for everyone and I'd say he has more than his fair share of detractors/skeptics
I second that, albeit I kept my Blood Feast DVD for the films tiny film-historic relevance. But I have to say that this set is amazing, that 7'' is a great idea. And these two sound quite interesting:
• Additional bonus DVD: Herschell Gordon Lewis: The Godfather of Gore documentary
• Fully-illustrated 92-page art book featuring the definitive overview of the entire career of H.G. Lewis written by Stephen Thrower [Shock and Gore edition exclusive]

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#30 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:33 am

The non-limited edition:

chatterjees

#31 Post by chatterjees » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:39 am

swo17 wrote:The non-limited edition:

No specs for this one available yet on amazon site. Is this an amazon exclusive set? Will this set have only the BDs, DVDs and a booklet?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Shock and Gore / The Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast

#32 Post by Drucker » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:42 am

According to Twitter it's an Amazon.co.uk exclusive.

TonyleStephanois

#33 Post by TonyleStephanois » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:58 am

Actually both boxes are limited. Hopefully you can appreciate an exercise such as this couldn't really be any other way! It's been an incredible labour of love on our part and after a good 9+ months of work we hope HG Lewis fans everywhere will feel this is the definitive collection.

Here are the full specs for THE FEAST:

THE HERSCHELL GORDON LEWIS FEAST (2500 copies Limited Edition)

In 1963, director Herschell Gordon Lewis pulled a cow’s tongue out of an actress’ mouth on camera, and in doing so, changed the landscape of horror cinema forever. That sequence was just one of numerous gruesome gags featured in Blood Feast, the film credited as being the world’s first gore movie. It’s no exaggeration to say that the modern gross-out movies of today owe their very existence to the pioneering efforts of H.G. Lewis.

But whilst Lewis is most widely celebrated for his blood-and-guts epics (Two Thousand Maniacs!, The Wizard of Gore et al.), there’s more to the prolific director than splatter. From tales of sordid photographers (Scum of the Earth) to sex robots (How to Make a Doll), from biker girl-gangs (She-Devils on Wheels) to youths-run-amok (Just for the Hell of It), and from psychic witches (Something Weird) to hard liquor-loving hillbillies (Moonshine Mountain), the filmography of H.G. Lewis reads like a veritable wish-list of exploitation movie madness.

Now, for the first time ever, Arrow Video is proud to present fourteen of the Godfather of Gore’s most essential films (including nine Blu-ray world debuts), collected together at last and packed full of eye-popping bonus content. So put your feet up, pour yourself a glass of good ol’ moonshine, and prepare yourself for a feast – H.G. Lewis style!

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:

Fourteen of the Godfather of Gore’s finest attractions, newly restored from original and best surviving vault materials
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the features and extras on 7 Blu-ray and 7 DVD discs
Additional 2 bonus Blu-rays featuring 1.33:1 versions of Blood Feast, Scum of the Earth, Color Me Blood Red, A Taste of Blood and The Wizard of Gore [limited editions exclusive]
Additional bonus DVD: Herschell Gordon Lewis: The Godfather of Gore documentary [limited editions exclusive]
28-page H.G. Lewis “annual” stuffed full with Lewis-themed activities plus archive promotional material [limited editions exclusive]
Newly illustrated packaging by The Twins of Evil [Feast edition exclusive]

BLOOD FEAST (1963) + SCUM OF THE EARTH (1963)

Brand new introduction to the films by director Herschell Gordon Lewis
Audio Commentary on Blood Feast with Lewis and producer David F. Friedman
Audio Commentary on Scum of the Earth by Friedman
Blood Feast Outtakes
Blood Perceptions – filmmakers Nicholas McCarthy (The Pact) and Rodney Ascher (Room 237) offer their insight on Blood Feast and the importance of Herschell Gordon Lewis
Herschell's History – archival interview in which Lewis discusses his entry into the film industry including Scum of the Earth
How Herschell Found His Nitch – Lewis discusses more of his early work in nudie cuties and the making of The Adventures of Lucky Pierre
Archival Interview with Herschell Gordon Lewis and David F. Friedman from 1987
Carving Magic (1959) – vintage short featuring Blood Feast’s Bill Kerwin
Blood Feast Radio Spot and Trailer

TWO THOUSAND MANIACS! (1964) + MOONSHINE MOUNTAIN (1964)

Audio Commentary on Two Thousand Maniacs! with Lewis and producer David F. Friedman
Two Thousand Maniacs! Outtakes
Two Thousand Maniacs Can’t Be Wrong – Tim Sullivan (director, 2001 Maniacs) on Two Thousand Maniacs!
Hicksploitation: Confidential – visual essay on the history of the American South’s representation in cinema
David Friedman: The Gentlemen’s Smut Peddler – a tribute to the legendary producer featuring Herschell Gordon Lewis, filmmakers Fred Olen Ray, Tim Sullivan and Bob Murawski
Herschell's Art of Advertising – Lewis shares his expert opinion on the art of selling movies and how to hook an audience.
Trailers for Two Thousands Maniacs! and Moonshine Mountain

COLOR ME BLOOD RED (1965) + SOMETHING WEIRD (1967)

Audio Commentary on Color Me Blood Red with Lewis and producer David F. Friedman
Audio Commentary on Something Weird with Lewis and Friedman
Color Me Blood Red Outtakes
The Art of Madness – visual essay on the recurring motif of mad artists as killers in horror cinema
Weirdsville – film Scholar Jeffrey Sconce on Something Weird
Lewis on Jimmy, the Boy Wonder, his 1966 children’s musical
A Hot Night at the Go Go Lounge! – Lewis’ 1966 dance short
Trailers for Color Me Blood Red and Something Weird

THE GRUESOME TWOSOME (1967) + A TASTE OF BLOOD (1967)

Audio Commentary on The Gruesome Twosome with Lewis
Audio Commentary on A Taste of Blood with Lewis
Peaches Christ Flips her Wig! – the San Francisco performer on The Gruesome Twosome
It Came From Florida – filmmaker Fred Olen Ray (Scalps) on Florida Filmmaking
Herschell vs The Censors – Lewis discusses some of the pitfalls involving local censorship and the lengths to which angry moviegoers tried to stop him
Trailers for The Gruesome Twosome and A Taste of Blood

SHE-DEVILS ON WHEELS (1968) + JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT (1968)

Audio Commentary on She-Devils on Wheels with Lewis
Garage Punk Gore – filmmaker and musician Chris Alexander discusses the films and music of Herschell Gordon Lewis
The Shocking Truth! – Bob Murawski on his lifelong love for Herschell Gordon Lewis and what he has learned from Lewis’ films
Lewis on his 1968 film The Alley Tramp
She-Devils on Wheels Radio Spot
Trailers for She-Devils on Wheels and Just for the Hell of It

HOW TO MAKE A DOLL (1968) + THE WIZARD OF GORE (1970)

Audio Commentary on The Wizard of Gore with Lewis
Montag Speaks – a brand new interview with Wizard of Gore actor Ray Sager
The Gore The Merrier – an interview with Jeremy Kasten, director of the 2007 Wizard of Gore remake
The Incredibly Strange Film Show: Herschell Gordon Lewis “The Godfather of Gore” – episode of the Jonathan Ross-hosted documentary series focusing on Lewis’ films, featuring interviews with Lewis, producer David F. Friedman, actor Bill Kerwin, John Waters and more
The Wizard of Gore Trailer

THIS STUFF’LL KILL YA! (1971) + THE GORE GORE GIRLS (1972)

Audio Commentary on The Gore Gore Girls with Herschell Gordon Lewis
Audio Commentary on This Stuff’ll Kill Ya! by camera operator and Lewis biographer Daniel Krogh
Regional Bloodshed – filmmakers Joe Swanberg and Spencer Parsons discuss the Midwestern roots and work ethic of Lewis’ output and how The Gore Gore Girls represents the shift into transgressive ’70s cinema that would dominate the American horror landscape
Herschell Spills His Guts – Lewis discusses his career post-The Gore Gore Girls, why he left the film industry and his role as a leading figure in the copywriting industry
Gore Gore Girls Radio Spot
Trailers for This Stuff’ll Kill Ya! and The Gore Gore Girls

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#34 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Given that both boxes have certain features tagged as "limited edition exclusive," presumably there will be standalone releases of the individual discs somewhere down the line?

TonyleStephanois

#35 Post by TonyleStephanois » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:09 pm

swo17 wrote:Given that both boxes have certain features tagged as "limited edition exclusive," presumably there will be standalone releases of the individual discs somewhere down the line?
That would be great but right now that feels ambitious, so we can't make any promises.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#36 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:11 pm

Since we have you here, is the US edition of The HGL Feast also going to be an Amazon exclusive?

der_Artur

#37 Post by der_Artur » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:12 pm

Drucker wrote:So if all you want are the films, the Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast will do the trick?
What will do the trick best is buying the complete "Shock and Gore" box and throwing away everything you don't need. The "Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast" is currently 15£ pricier than the bigger boxset.

TonyleStephanois

#38 Post by TonyleStephanois » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:14 pm

swo17 wrote:Since we have you here, is the US edition of The HGL Feast also going to be an Amazon exclusive?
It shouldn't be, but that's an ongoing discussion with retailers. We expect most to take it, but it really depends how quickly it sells.

TonyleStephanois

#39 Post by TonyleStephanois » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:16 pm

And to confirm 100%, Indiegogo backers will receive both copies of the HGL sets.

L.A.

#40 Post by L.A. » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:16 pm

Just remembered that I still haven't watched Vinegar Syndrome's dual-release of The Lost Films of Herschell Gordon Lewis including Ecstasies of Women, Linda and Abilene and Black Love. Have to correct that soon.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#41 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:14 pm

Hmm, so the cheaper LE (2500 copies) will only have the Annual reprint for printed material ?

Werewolf by Night

#42 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:47 pm

Those David F. Friedman commentaries are gold, even more entertaining (imo) than the films they accompany.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#43 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:49 pm

The Shock and Gore set is already half sold out (about two-thirds gone in the US, one-third gone in the UK).

knives

#44 Post by knives » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Just to be clear there will be a release of the films without the bell and whistles later? I can't afford this right now (and frankly should get the Clarke set first) but absolutely want these films eventually.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#45 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:58 pm

The version available on Amazon UK (The Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast) is without bells and whistles (but is currently listed for £15 more than the Shock and Gore box). There will be 5000 copies made of this version, split equally between the US and UK.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#46 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:02 pm

And it will most likely be the very first time I let such a limited release from Arrow slip. I just don't see myself ever putting 200€ over HGL movies.

I might cave in for the cheaper LE, especially since I couldn't care less for barf bags and "Individually handmade “super gory” eyeball"' (though it saddens me that the critical printed material seems exclusive to the S&G set), but even that price seems just too much money for these movies.
knives wrote:Just to be clear there will be a release of the films without the bell and whistles later? I can't afford this right now (and frankly should get the Clarke set first) but absolutely want these films eventually.
Amazon.co.uk have this in their description :
Additional 2 bonus Blu-rays featuring 1.33:1 versions [limited editions exclusive]
Additional bonus DVD: The Godfather of Gore documentary [limited editions exclusive]
28-page H.G. Lewis annual [limited editions exclusive]
So one would guess Arrow is already sorting out what will and won't be included in standard releases, but I guess it will still depends on how quick these 2 sets sell out (if they do).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#47 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:35 pm

It appears that the UK allocation is only available to UK customers. If you live anywhere else, you have to buy from Diabolik DVD in the US, who are charging an extra $30 for shipping to Canada (or $70 to any other country) on top of their standard shipping costs. In other words, this thing costs more than any one of HGL's actual movies.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#48 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:59 pm

Less than 50 left in the US!

Ribs

#49 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:06 pm

swo17 wrote:Less than 50 left in the US!
Christ, that's $100,000 in the bank for Arrow in about six hours.

(It actually seems like it's being bought up by scalpers, as they're disappearing five at a time)

Manny Karp

#50 Post by Manny Karp » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:15 pm

swo17 wrote:Given that both boxes have certain features tagged as "limited edition exclusive," presumably there will be standalone releases of the individual discs somewhere down the line?
I really hope so, as his films vary in quality from brilliant to stultifying garbage. There are about six of these movies I'd like to own.
L.A. wrote:Just remembered that I still haven't watched Vinegar Syndrome's dual-release of The Lost Films of Herschell Gordon Lewis including Ecstasies of Women, Linda and Abilene and Black Love. Have to correct that soon.
I love much of VS's output, but these are among the worst Lewis films I've seen.