Psychomania

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Psychomania

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:01 pm

NEW US TITLE: Psychomania Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD

Zombie bikers run amok is southern England.

Pre-orders links should be live soon!
Release Date: 21st February 2017

The United States gave motorcycle-mad cinemagoers Easy Rider, The Wild One and The Wild Angels. The United Kingdom gave them Psychomania, the tale of zombie bikers run amok is southern England.

The Living Dead are a delinquent biker gang, fond of causing havoc on British roadways and making out in graveyards. Gang leader Tom (Nicky Henson) also has a Satanist for a mother, and when he discovers the secret of immortality, the name of his motley crew takes on a more literal meaning…

Directed by Hammer veteran Don Sharp (The Kiss of the Vampire, The Devil-Ship Pirates) and co-starring Beryl Reid (Dr. Phibes Rises Again) and George Sanders (Village of the Damned), Psychomania is a wonderfully offbeat gem, outlandish and eccentric in equal measure.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
•2K restoration from preservation negatives
•High Definition (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
•Original 1.0 mono audio (uncompressed on the Blu-ray)
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
•Brand-new interview with star Nicky Henson
•Return of the Living Dead, an archive featurette containing interviews actors Henson, Mary Larkin, Denis Gilmore, Roy Holder and Rocky Taylor
•Sound of Psychomania, an archive interview with composer John Cameron
•Riding Free, an archive interview with ‘Riding Free’ singer Harvey Andrews
•Hell for Leather, a brand-new featurette on the company who supplied the film’s costumes
•Remastering Psychomania, a look at the film’s restoration from the original 35mm black and white separation masters
•Theatrical trailer
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by the Twins of Evil

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet containing writing by Vic Pratt, William Fowler and Andrew Roberts

rapta

Re: Psychomania

#2 Post by rapta » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:33 pm

Similar specs to the BFI Flipside release then but missing a few things extras-wise. I thought this would have just been a direct port of the BFI disc, unless they just haven't confirmed them all yet? Or less likely, forgot to type them up...

chatterjees

#3 Post by chatterjees » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:40 pm

I was eyeing the BFI edition for a long time, and will still probably go for that one. So, is it safe to assume that Arrow picked up all the Severin releases which went out of print couple of months ago? If I am rights the titles includes - PSYCHOMANIA, THE BABY, BLOODY BIRTHDAY, HORROR EXPRESS and HOUSE OF SEVEN CORPSES. Well, Arrow editions of those films will be great.

ianungstad

#4 Post by ianungstad » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:59 pm

Psychomania, Horror Express and The Baby are all from the same licensor. I'd expect those at the very least.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#5 Post by tenia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:05 pm

I'm surprised in Chris' review by the technical details, which make it look as if Arrow performed the restoration themselves. Aren't they using the restoration performed by the BFI last year ?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#6 Post by cdnchris » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Unless I misread the notes I was under the impression Arrow did this one. But again, I could have misread them (I'll have to double check when I get home).

What A Disgrace

#7 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:25 pm

I like the cover art a lot, I think I'm gonna get this one.

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:58 pm

cdnchris wrote:Unless I misread the notes I was under the impression Arrow did this one. But again, I could have misread them (I'll have to double check when I get home).
It was a BFI Flipside release in the UK last autumn, and it's an Arrow Video release in the US. There's a huge content overlap, and they're both using the same restoration, but they're not quite identical.

I assume this came about because the BFI doesn't have its own US arm.