Shock Treatment

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Shock Treatment

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 12, 2017 10:38 am

FROM THE CREATORS OF THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW !

It's not a sequel... it's not a prequel... it's an equal! Available on Blu-ray for the first time anywhere in the world, it is with absolute pleasure that Arrow Video presents Shock Treatment the criminally underrated sequel to The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

Several years on from the events of the original Rocky, Brad and Janet Majors find their strained marriage put to the test on popular Denton TV show Marriage Maze. Poor Brad is heavily sedated and institutionalised, whilst Janet is given a radical makeover and primed for stardom. But what are the real motivations behind the kooky DTV crew and their enigmatic head-honcho, Farley Flavors?

Featuring a host of familiar Rocky faces including Richard O Brien and Patricia Quinn, alongside the likes of Jessica Harper, Barry Humphries and Rik Mayall not to mention a rocking, shocking score from Richard O Brien and Richard Hartley Shock Treatment is the follow-up that s more than the equal of its predecessor.

CONTENTS
  • Digital transfer from original film elements
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • 5.1 and Mono audio options
  • Isolated Music and Effects Track
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by Shock Treatment Fan Club presidents "Mad Man" Mike and Bill Brennan
  • 35 Years of Shock Treatment live panel filmed at British Film Insitute
  • DTV Presents: A Shockumentary featurette
  • Let's Rock 'n Roll: Shock Treatment's Super Score featurette
  • Theatrical and International Trailers
  • Exclusive Digipak Packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
  • Collector s Booklet featuring new writing on the film by festival programmer Michael Blyth
  • Set of Exclusive Shock Treatment Mix n Match Cards!
  • Exclusive double-sided DENTON poster

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Shock Treatment

#2 Post by tenia » Fri May 12, 2017 10:51 am

I've always been told this sequel is to-be-avoided but god, this cover certainly won't help me go past these recommandations.

teddyleevin

#3 Post by teddyleevin » Fri May 12, 2017 10:59 am

That cover doesn't help, no! But I adore this film. Well, I adore the songs, characters, production design, costumes, and some of the camera choreography. Makes a great double-feature with Phantom of the Paradise (for cast/tone/thematic reasons). A sum-of-its-parts issue, for sure, but a lot of it is terrific. It's in great need of a Blu-ray upgrade. The compression on the DVD is ungodly (just look at those pom-pom close-ups in the first song).

Find the "Denton" opening number of the title song on YouTube (and maybe "Look What I Did to my Id") and if you don't like it at least a little, then probably give it a pass.
Last edited by teddyleevin on Fri May 12, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 12, 2017 11:02 am

The movie is not good at all but it frontloads its best songs with "Denton USA" and "Bitchin in the Kitchen" so hope holds out longer than it should

teddyleevin

#5 Post by teddyleevin » Fri May 12, 2017 11:04 am

There's a somewhat consensus among the Rocky cult that no one really likes Shock Treatment, but the few that do (like Sal Piro who almost single-handedly started the Rocky cult in the first place; he has a cameo in Shock Treatment, though I'm sure it's not nepotism) manage so by listening to the soundtrack on its own. Usually, there's nothing like people being passionate about something to make me hate it, but the cult-within-a-cult of Shock Treatment inverts that and it becomes something I can like.

EDIT: I found my old and stupid Jessica Harper Double Feature Drinking Game.