The Apartment

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

souvenir

Re: The Apartment

#176 Post by souvenir » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:50 pm

HitchcockLang wrote:I ordered from Amazon US at $29.99 and talked to customer service to try to have the original pre-order price honored per their guarantee, but the customer service reps kept giving me the run around, calling it a price match (a different policy that Amazon no longer offers) and refused to honor it. I have seen other customers claiming to have had success getting a credit though so YMMV.
same exact situation for me

Finch

#177 Post by Finch » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:13 pm

I had pre-ordered the LE through Arrow with the upcoming Inferno disc and had forgotten to split shipping for both so won't be getting my copy till February or so but can wait and if I end up getting the standard edition instead, I'll ask them to refund me the price difference or stick extra bonus points on. Chris mentioned that he felt the LE was a tad overpriced.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#178 Post by cdnchris » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:21 pm

It was more that I saw it was going for $100+ online in places, which was definitely ridiculous.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#179 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:26 pm

I say there is no amount you can pay for this set that is too much.

EazyE

#180 Post by EazyE » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Which logo sequence is on the Arrow BD? Just MGM? Is there a United Artists logo?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#181 Post by cdnchris » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:59 pm

swo17 wrote:I say there is no amount you can pay for this set that is too much.
I would agree if there wasn't a non-limited edition coming out. At least, I was under the impression a non-limited one was coming out.

What A Disgrace

#182 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:36 pm

Back in stock on Amazon for full retail price.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#183 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:25 pm

What A Disgrace

gcgiles1dollarbin

#184 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:49 pm

I whined about the bait and switch of pricing via email, and USA Amazon customer support honored the original pre-order price from November. With the $5 consolation prize (given with the original cancellation) subtracted from the discounted price, the edition wound up being $18.54, which, of course, is ridiculously inexpensive. Even with all that, I wasn't holding my breath for a shipment, given the unreliability in the past, but apparently it shipped today.

I only share this, I guess, to encourage others who feel rooked by the Arrow USA LE now-you-see-it-now-you-don't at least to try to contact Amazon before re-ordering at the higher price, even if others on this thread have not been so lucky convincing customer support. As HitchcockLang wrote, YMMV.

(Now is as good a time as any to admit that, in order to get free shipping, I also ordered the long-desired $8 DVD of The Horror at 37,000 Feet, which may be the finest complement to The Apartment ever possibly conceived.)

Morbii

#185 Post by Morbii » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:15 pm

I didn't get rooked (I didn't pre-order it), but my order still hasn't shipped despite saying it will be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Eric WK

#186 Post by Eric WK » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:42 am

For what it's worth, I ordered shortly after it went back up at $29.99. Mine arrived yesterday, no problem.

Morbii

#187 Post by Morbii » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:39 am

Mine shipped tonight and is slated for tomorrow, so I’m good too.

bearcuborg

#188 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:48 pm

gcgiles1dollarbin wrote:I whined about the bait and switch of pricing via email, and USA Amazon customer support honored the original pre-order price from November. With the $5 consolation prize
I had the same exact experience. There’s no standard answer-try with chat/phone if your previous efforts didn’t work.

dwk

#189 Post by dwk » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Sigh, my copy from amazon.co.uk just arrived and the disc hub was broken and the damn disc is scratched up. ](*,)

What A Disgrace

#190 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:25 pm

My copy from Amazon UK shipped last week, and then this morning... A copy that I ordered from CD Universe and then completely forgot about ( because, naturally it was out of stock) has also shipped! So I will have two copies of the package. I would rather trade the disc in here then sell it on Amazon or Ebay, and I definitely don't want to return one! I'll put it up for trade later on.

richard_t

#191 Post by richard_t » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 am

dwk wrote:Sigh, my copy from amazon.co.uk just arrived and the disc hub was broken and the damn disc is scratched up. ](*,)
Are you UK based? I have a spare pristine disk that you can have if you're interested? I ordered two copies, one from Amazon and then another direct from Arrow since I was concerned that the Amazon copy wouldn't arrive.

Anyway both did arrive, but one package was unfortunately small enough to go through my letterbox and my crazy dog got to it before I did. I'd intended to send one copy back to Amazon, but the outer box has been thoroughly 'mauled' so that's not going to happen now.

I'm happy to send it on for free if you're in the UK and and you're more than welcome to it if you're not, but I'll have to look into postage costs first. Let me know.

dwk

#192 Post by dwk » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 am

richard_t wrote: Are you UK based? I have a spare pristine disk that you can have if you're interested? I ordered two copies, one from Amazon and then another direct from Arrow since I was concerned that the Amazon copy wouldn't arrive.

Anyway both did arrive, but one package was unfortunately small enough to go through my letterbox and my crazy dog got to it before I did. I'd intended to send one copy back to Amazon, but the outer box has been thoroughly 'mauled' so that's not going to happen now.

I'm happy to send it on for free if you're in the UK and and you're more than welcome to it if you're not, but I'll have to look into postage costs first. Let me know.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm in the US. Amazon is shipping me a replacement (I'm happy they were still in stock) and told me to keep the old one. I figure I'll pass the extra book and slipbox on to someone that gets the standard edition.

richard_t

#193 Post by richard_t » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:10 pm

Okay no problem. Glad you got sorted.

TMDaines

#194 Post by TMDaines » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 am

Fopp might be a good place to hunt copies of this down at £25. Their Manchester branch still had some last week.

BillyLiar

#195 Post by BillyLiar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:56 pm

There are still copies available at hmv online in the UK, for £24.99

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#196 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:25 am

John Shade

#197 Post by John Shade » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Will I get it this time?

Edit: Crap, clicked the link too late! Back to $50...

Jahorsey

#198 Post by Jahorsey » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:06 pm

FYI Amazon US has the limited edition at 31 dollars as of this post. It might drop even lower like it did a few weeks ago but I pulled the trigger just in case.

fdm

#199 Post by fdm » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:55 pm

Really enjoyed this. I thought I'd seen this as a kid (in the 60s), so never quite got around to the dvd or earlier blu. But now I think that was probably Good Neighbor Sam (old black and white tv broadcast probably had something to do with that), and so this was a first time viewing. (I managed that 22.09 price back on the 15th, after deciding to hold off until the standard release, then changing my mind a few weeks prior.)

(Edit: Having since seen Good Neighbor Sam for the first time since I have no idea when, not so sure that was the one I was thinking of, but I do recall at least having seen it before.)
Last edited by fdm on Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bdsweeney

#200 Post by bdsweeney » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:15 am

I’m curious if there’s a different restoration of The Apartment available separate from Arrow’s.

I’m moving into boasting territory here, but I’ve just returned from seeing the film projected in the Piazza Maggiore in Bologna (about 20 minutes ago).

It opened with a snazzy MGM logo and details about its 4K restoration from 35 mm produced in conjunction between MGM and the Cineteca Bologna. The notes stated that the restoration was supervised by someone with an Anglo-Saxon name (sorry, can’t remember who).

I was originally expecting to see James White’s name for the restoration and some mention of Arrow. But, nup.

Anyway, would this mean that a different and competing restoration is available separate from Arrow’s that’s available for release by MGM or licence by a company like Criterion (or other)?

If I remember correctly, Arrow’s was produced off their own bat.