It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: The Witches
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:24 pm 
Dot Com Dom

In the mid-sixties, famed producer Dino De Laurentiis brought together the talents of five celebrated Italian directors for an anthology film. Their brief was simple: to direct an episode in which Silvana Mangano (Bitter Rice, Ludwig) plays a witch. Luchino Visconti (Ossessione, Death in Venice) and screenwriter Cesare Zavattini (Bicycle Thieves) open the film with The Witch Burned Alive, about a famous actress and a drunken evening that leads to unpleasant revelations. Civic Sense is a lightly comic interlude from Mauro Bolognini (The Lady of the Camelias) with a dark conclusion, and The Earth as Seen from the Moon sees Italian comedy legend Totò team up with Pier Paolo Pasolini (Theorem) for the first time for a tale of matrimony and a red-headed father and son. Franco Rosso (The Woman in the Painting) concocts a story of revenge in The Sicilian’s Wife, while Vittorio De Sica (Shoeshine) casts Clint Eastwood as Mangano’s estranged husband in An Evening Like the Others, concluding The Witches with a stunning homage to Italian comic books.

Bonus Materials

Brand new 2K restoration from original film elements produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
Original Italian mono audio (uncompressed LPCM)
Brand-new audio commentary by film critic and novelist Tim Lucas
Interview with actor Ninetto Davoli, recorded exclusively for this release
English-language version of Vittorio De Sica’s episode, An Evening Like the Others, starring Clint Eastwood
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Pasquale Iannone and Kat Ellinger

US/UK January 9th

Post subject: Re: The Witches
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:24 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Not a new announcement, just another Arrow title we forgot to make a thread for...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:29 pm 

Has anyone seen it? If so what do you think of it? Clint Eastwood being involved in a film with a witch sounds like the least Clint Eastwood thing ever.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:58 pm 

His segment is very comedic which is to say you are correct. I saw this through the Warner's archive release and it is about what you expect. The Passolini episode is very good and memorable, but the rest not so much. If I remember correctly I thought the Bolognini segment was the second best and the de Sica was at least memorable if not good. Can't remember anything else about the other segments. Even forgot Rossi was one of the directors!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:05 pm 

I've only watched the Pasolini segment, which is really strange and great, definitely recommended if you liked Hawks and Sparrows.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:24 pm 

"Is The Witches" is like sand in my eye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:44 am 

I've seen it twice.
Posh jet set Visconti, with the 1st role for Helmut Berger. They knew each other 'cause it was filmed at his native sky resort village. It's ok. Visconti always complained that De Laurentis didn't understand anything and cut a lot of footage and the story was not long enough for making a long picture.

Pasolini's one is a masterpiece. Really it is.

I don't remember anything from Bolognini and Rossi. Too short and anecdotal both, I think.

De Sica's is Pop - Comic. In Italian, Eastwood at the top of his Beauty. I don't know the English dubbed version.

Not a really good film in general, like most of the episode Italians loved to make is unequal.
I complessi is the best of all. The 3 stories are great, I'd say it's a masterpiece. Manfredi - Tognazzi - Sordi.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:49 am 

Oh, that is right. The episodes by the two lesser known directors are transition pieces and not full episodes. I had forgotten that until you mentioned it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:20 am 

I think one of the two is Silvana Mangano driving in Rome. Just that.

Curious: the documentary about her included in Ludwig, it would have been more appropriate in this release because she won the Italian David di Donatello Award.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:26 am 

Is out today in the UK and released (delayed?) in the US January 30th.

Pics from Arrow's facebook page