Forthcoming: Ring

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

rapta

Forthcoming: Ring

#1 Post by rapta » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Confirmed here - likely arriving Spring 2019. :)

kcota17

Re: Forthcoming: Ring

#2 Post by kcota17 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:29 pm

Very exciting, here’s hoping it gets an RA release by them too. Anyone know who owns the US rights?

dwk

#3 Post by dwk » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:43 pm

I think DreamWorks released the Ring films in the US

Boosmahn

#4 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 pm

More J-horror? Yes, please!

Arrow already has four: Pulse, Dark Water, Audition, and The Happiness of the Katakuris, correct?

What A Disgrace

#5 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:20 am

If any Japanese film is likely to get the deluxe treatment from Arrow (I'm thinking of the Argento limited editions, and the like), its this one. Very excited. I had a feeling they'd go after this.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#6 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:39 am

I'm hoping it will get a fresh master like Audition.

rapta

#7 Post by rapta » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:57 am

Boosmahn wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 pm
More J-horror? Yes, please!

Arrow already has four: Pulse, Dark Water, Audition, and The Happiness of the Katakuris, correct?
Yes, although obviously Katakuris is entirely its own thing. I honestly don't know whether to categorise it as J-horror or twisted family musical! I guess you could also include Battle Royale loosely under the J-horror label (it's at least horror in part).

Anyway, after all these from Arrow, Third Window and even Eureka (Cure), hopefully we'll eventually get Ju-On: The Grudge from someone. That one's my absolute favourite, and it'd be even better if they got the sequel and/or previous TV films.

Big Ben

#8 Post by Big Ben » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:03 am

I was only ever traumatized by Verbinski's version when I was twelve or so and I'll certainly defend that version. I'll be interested in seeing this version with all the fixings.

jazzo

#9 Post by jazzo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:07 am

No slight meant to the original, but am I alone in thinking Verbinski's version was more atmospheric and successful than Nakata's? I was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#10 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:13 am

I always liked Nakata's version (though I prefer Dark Water to Ring) and never saw Verbinski's version, but in the end, I definitely remember reading lots and lots of praise about it.
IIRC, The Grudge's US version isn't bad either (though I have seen this one and don't recall having been particularly impressed).

knives

#11 Post by knives » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:25 am

jazzo wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:07 am
No slight meant to the original, but am I alone in thinking Verbinski's version was more atmospheric and successful than Nakata's? I was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
Nope, I definitely find the American version plainly superior.

colinr0380

#12 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:49 am

This is definitely great news. This would be another Tartan Video rescue, and as well as a long overdue upgrade to Blu-ray it would be great to finally see some extra features added to the film. Hopefully an interview with Hideo Nakata and lead actress Nanako Matsushima (and of course Hiroyuki Sanada and Miki Nakatani, especially if they want to go into all of the Ring 2/Rasen aspect of the alternate timeline sequels, which they both feature prominently in).

I quite like the US remake but mostly for Naomi Watts' performance and the excellent scene with the horse on the ferry that was added for the Americanised back story. I actually much prefer The Grudge remake for doing what I hoped would have been done with the Ring remake by keeping the origin of the ghosts resolutely Japanese, thus making the spread to all these freshly imported American actors even worse, because they're operating at an even further remove from understanding the situation! (The Grudge series is fascinating to me because it is both arguably 'flawed' by being incredibly iterative, but that iteration makes everything from the TV movie to the Japanese theatrical features to the US remake and its sequels feel like ongoing sequels to each other!)

Plus I really don't like the cursed video sequence from the remake which aside from a couple of important, but too tied into, the plot images plays out like some third year avant garde art student's Eraserhead inspired thesis film (lots of spinning chairs, propped up ladders and centipedes leaving tables without paying the bill for their glasses of water. The fly pays off brilliantly later on though, I'll give it that). While the video from the 1998 film still feels inexplicably weird and difficult to interpret whilst being a lot simpler with its imagery.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

swo17

#13 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:53 am

How quickly we forget that Arrow's last Nakata transfer was an unwatchable mess

Banasa

#14 Post by Banasa » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:16 pm

I'd like to think that Arrow took a break from J-Horror after the mixed image quality reviews on Pulse and Dark Water. They did a very nice job on Audition in my books, perhaps they were working on a plan get better material for Ring?

rapta

#15 Post by rapta » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:21 pm

I disagree about Pulse; to my eyes it looked a faithful transfer. It's also one of the most invaluable Arrow discs of recent years, extras-wise.

Finch

#16 Post by Finch » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:11 am

Always preferred Dark Water to Ringu but Arrow would miss a trick if they don't make the Limited Edition packaging look like a videotape, like Criterion did with Videodrome. Wouldn't get hopes up about a new master unless Arrow deemed the film worthy of a 2k/4k in house resto.