Abbas Kiarostami on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
dwk

Re: Abbas Kiarostami on DVD

#76 Post by dwk » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Someone at the Blu-ray.com forum posted a link to the PDF press book for Janus' Kiarstami retrospective, and, I hate to be the barer of bad news, but, with the exception of the Koker Trilogy, all the restorations were done by L'Immagine Ritrovata.

Oedipax

#77 Post by Oedipax » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:26 pm

Taste of Cherry looks pretty good in my estimation (assuming the Japanese blu-ray release is using the same transfer/restoration). But now that I'm comparing screens from that with the old Artificial Eye disc, you can certainly see the L'Immagine Ritrovata look has been transferred over somewhat:

AE DVD #1
Japanese blu-ray #1

AE DVD #2
Japanese blu-ray #2

Now, these should be taken with a massive grain of salt - they're not exact frame matches, they're from different capture methods, and we don't know if this is even the same transfer (or the same grading of the transfer) that Criterion will be using. But nevertheless, I thought it might be interesting until we know more for sure.

So - less information in the highlights, and more of a general monochromatic color wash, as is seemingly the case with all the LUTs L'Immagine Ritrovata uses in their output. But huge improvements in the overall resolution/texture of the image, and before comparing, I thought the blu-ray image looked great.

dda1996a

#78 Post by dda1996a » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:49 pm

IFC Center's complete Kiarostami retrospective has a ton of short films and shorter features listed. I can't see anything written on who has rights, but I hope this means Criterion has everything.

whaleallright

#79 Post by whaleallright » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:29 pm

I hope they don't just tack a few shorts on each separate release, but rather stick all the Kanun shorts in one place, because they truly benefit from watching as a group, and in chronological order. Not only do they reveal Kiarostami's growing confidence and experimentation in film form, but they exhibit a set of coherent concerns that he elaborates in the features. Even a lark like 1978's Solution No. 1 is perfect and exhilarating in its own way.... That and other of his shorts were until recently incredibly rare and difficult to see. It makes me sad, though, that they will be seen by so many only after Kiarostami's untimely death. He should be around to witness their rediscovery and reevaluation.

I do wonder what the rights situation is with the shorts. It seems to have been cleared up and some are at least represented by MK2, but they were mostly made for a pre-Revolutionary Iranian state agency. IIRC Iran isn't a signatory to major global copyright agreements, so maybe it's just been decided that Kiarostami's family/estate is effectively the rightful owner for the purposes of worldwide distribution.

dda1996a

#80 Post by dda1996a » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:58 am

It is weird IFC doesn't list who has rights. I'll look again though. His digital period is also present so I wonder what will happen with that. Maybe each one will be added as an extra? 10 and 10 on 10 seem to be in a weird spot as I doubt they'll get a single release for them (but then Buena Vista got one so who knows).

FrauBlucher

#81 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:20 pm

knives

#82 Post by knives » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:23 pm

Is there an english subbed version of Persian Carpet around?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#83 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:52 pm

I don't know of any legitimate source for the whole feature (haven't looked at backchannels), but Kiarostami's segment is on the Cinema Guild DVD of Shirin.

knives

#84 Post by knives » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:06 pm

Thank you. I've seen that, but I was hoping that the full version was available legally somewhere as there are a number of directors how I like whose segment likely wouldn't get released separately.

ellipsis7

#85 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:38 pm

I'm a trans woman. Kiarostami's films helped me escape a prison of the mind

Includes links to two manisfestations of Kiarostami Janus touring retrospective...
Tribute to Abbas Kiarostami runs 3-17 August at the Roxie Theater in San Francisco. Abbas Kiarostami: Life as Art runs 7 August to 21 December at the UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive (Bampfa)